Simplifying a matrix algebra equation (revised)

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving matrices that needs to be reformatted. The left side has been simplified but does not match the desired form on the right side. It is uncertain if the issue is with the person's matrix algebra skills or if there was an error in the original equation. An algebra trick is suggested to try and solve the problem.
tomizzo
Homework Statement
Verify that matrix equation can simplify to desired form
Relevant Equations
Below
I have a matrix equation (left side) that needs to be formatted into another form (right side). I've simplified the left side as much as I could but can't seem to get it to the match the right side. I am unsure if my matrix algebra skills are lacking or if I somehow messed up the starting equation making it impossible to yield the desired form.

Moderator note: The original attached image has been deleted. The following is the corrected version.
##K = (Q - QH^T(R + HQH^T)^{-1}HQ)H^TR^{-1} \Rightarrow K = QH^T(HQH^T + R)^{-1}##
Note that Q and R are invertible. H is not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
tomizzo said:
##K = (Q - QH^T(R + HQH^T)^{-1}HQ)H^TR^{-1} \Rightarrow K = QH^T(HQH^T + R)^{-1}##
It's just an algebra trick. Try adding ##-QH^T(R + HQH^T)^{-1}RR^{-1} + QH^T(R + HQH^T)^{-1}RR^{-1}## to ##K##.

Likes Mark44

1. How do I simplify a matrix algebra equation?

To simplify a matrix algebra equation, you need to use the basic rules of matrix operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These rules involve combining like terms and following the order of operations, just like in regular algebra. It is also helpful to know properties of matrices, such as the commutative and associative properties, to simplify the equation.

2. Can I use the distributive property in matrix algebra?

Yes, the distributive property can be used in matrix algebra. For example, if you have a matrix multiplied by a sum of matrices, you can distribute the multiplication to each matrix within the sum.

3. How do I handle inverse matrices when simplifying?

When you need to simplify an equation involving inverse matrices, you can use the property that the inverse of a product is equal to the product of the inverses in reverse order. Additionally, remember that the inverse of a matrix multiplied by its original matrix is equal to the identity matrix.

4. What is the importance of simplifying a matrix algebra equation?

Simplifying a matrix algebra equation is important because it can make the equation easier to understand and work with. It can also help in solving a system of equations or finding the inverse of a matrix. Additionally, simplifying can reveal patterns and relationships within the matrix that may not have been apparent before.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying a complex matrix algebra equation?

One tip for simplifying complex matrix algebra equations is to break them down into smaller, simpler parts. This can make the equation easier to manage and allow you to apply the basic rules and properties of matrix operations more effectively. You can also use a calculator or computer software to assist with the simplification process.