Proving the Riemann Sum for the Integral of x^2 from 1 to 3

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of showing that the integral of x^2 from 1 to 3 is equal to 26/3. This involves using upper and lower Riemann sums, as well as the concept of Riemann integrability. The middle term in the inequality comes from adding together three inequalities involving x_i-1 and x_i. Ultimately, it is shown that the integral is equal to 26/3 through a limit calculation.
NATURE.M
So my textbook asks to show [itex]\int^{3}_{1} x^{2}dx = \frac{26}{3}[/itex].
They let the partition P = {[itex]x_{0},...,x_{n}[/itex]}, and define the upper Riemann sum as U(P) = [itex]\sum^{i=1}_{n} x_{i}Δx_{i}[/itex] and lower sum as
L(P) = [itex]\sum^{i=1}_{n} x_{i-1}Δx_{i}[/itex]

I understand this part, but the next part is where I'm confused.

For each index i, 1[itex]\leq[/itex]i[itex]\leq[/itex]n,
[itex]3x^{2}_{i-1}\leq x^{2}_{i-1} + x_{i-1}x_{i}+x^{2}_{i}\leq3x^{2}_{i}[/itex]

It's probably something I'm overlooking by where does the middle term come from and the 3 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
The inequality comes from the fact that [itex] x_{i-1} \leq x_i [/itex] for all i, and therefore
[tex] x_{i-1}^2 \leq x_{i-1}^2 [/tex]
and
[tex] x_{i-1}^2 \leq x_{i-1}x_i [/tex]
and
[tex] x_{i-1}^2 \leq x_{i}^2 [/tex]
so adding these all together give
[tex] 3 x_{i-1}^2 \leq x_{i-1}^2 + x_{i-1} x_i + x_{i}^2 [/tex]

I think they want to express this, because we have
$$3x_{i-1}^{2}\leq x_{i-1}^{2} + x_{i-1} x_{i}^{2} +x_{i}^{2}\leq 3 x_{i}^{2}, $$
so, $$ 3x_{i-1}^{2}(x_{i}-x_{i-1})\leq (x_{i-1}^{2} + x_{i-1} x_{i} +x_{i}^{2}) (x_{i}-x_{i-1}) \leq 3 x_{i}^{2} (x_{i}-x_{i-1}) ,$$
namely,$$3 x_{i-1}^{2}\Delta{x_{i}}\leq ( x_{i}^{3} - x_{i-1}^{3} )\leq 3x_{i}^{2}\Delta{x_{i}}.$$
Then, we can get
$$\sum_{i=1}^{n} x_{i-1}^{2} \Delta x_{i} \leq \frac{1}{3}( x_{n}^{3} - x_{0}^{3} ) \leq \sum_{i=1}^{n} x_{i}^{2} \Delta x_{i} ,$$
that is to say,
$$L(P)\leq \frac{26}{3} \leq U(P).$$
Because ##f(x)=x^{2}## is Riemann-integrable on ##[1,3]##, let ##I=\int _{1}^{3}f(x)dx\, , \lambda = \max \limits_{1\leq i \leq n}(\Delta{x_{i}})\rightarrow 0 ##, so
$$\lim_{\lambda\rightarrow 0}{U(P)}=L=I=l= \lim_{\lambda \rightarrow 0}{L(P)}.$$
According to the former reasoning, both of ##L## and ##l## equal ##\frac{26}{3}##, so ##I=\frac{26}{3}##.

Last edited:

What is a partition for Riemann sum?

A partition for Riemann sum is a method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller subintervals or rectangles. This allows for easier calculation of the area and provides a closer approximation to the true area.

How is a partition for Riemann sum calculated?

A partition for Riemann sum is calculated by dividing the interval over which the area is to be approximated into smaller subintervals of equal width. The more subintervals used, the closer the approximation will be to the true area.

What is the significance of the size of the subintervals in a partition for Riemann sum?

The size of the subintervals in a partition for Riemann sum plays a crucial role in the accuracy of the approximation. If the subintervals are too large, the approximation will be less accurate. Conversely, if the subintervals are too small, the calculation may become more complex and time-consuming.

What is the difference between a left, right, and midpoint Riemann sum?

A left Riemann sum uses the left endpoint of each subinterval to calculate the height of the rectangle, a right Riemann sum uses the right endpoint, and a midpoint Riemann sum uses the midpoint of each subinterval. Each method may result in a slightly different approximation of the area under the curve.

Can a partition for Riemann sum be used to calculate the exact area under a curve?

No, a partition for Riemann sum can only provide an approximation of the area under a curve. As the number of subintervals used approaches infinity, the approximation will get closer to the exact area, but it will never be exact.