Proving the Sum of Partial Fractions Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the equation \frac{1}{f(x)}=\sum\frac{1}{f'(a_{i})}.\frac{1}{(x-a_{i})} and the attempt to prove the equation \sum\frac{(a_{i})^r}{f'(a_{i})} being 0 for r=0,1,...,n-2 and 1 for r=n-1. The conversation suggests using logarithmic differentiation and partial fractions to find a pattern and relate it to the differentiated form of f(x).
SanjeevGupta
f(x) is a polynomial. A product of n distinct factors

[tex](x-a_{i}).[/tex]

Prove that

[tex]\frac{1}{f(x)}=\sum\frac{1}{f'(a_{i})}.\frac{1}{(x-a_{i})}[/tex]

This I can do by writing f(x)=(x-a)g(x) where g(a)<>0. Then splitting

[tex]\frac{1}{f(x)}[/tex]

into

[tex]\frac{A}{(x-a)}+\frac{h(x)}{g(x)}[/tex]

for some h(x) so

[tex]A=\frac{1}{g(a)}[/tex]

and differentiating f(x), f'(a)=g(a) so

[tex]A=\frac{1}{f'(a)}[/tex]

and I repeat that for each factor so I get the sum required.

The next question I can't answer:

Show that

[tex]\sum\frac{(a_{i})^r}{f'(a_{i})}[/tex]

is 0 when r=0,1,...,n-2 and is 1 when r=n-1

I've tried expanding f(x), differentiating and putting x equal to the roots and summing over all the roots so I see the result works but I'm having no success in proving it.
Could someone help with a hint or two?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get when n = 2, say?

You might consider using logarithmic differentiation.

If [itex]f(x)= a(x-x_1)(x- x_2)\cdot\cdot\cdot(x- x_n)[/itex]
then [itex]ln(f(x)) ln a+ ln(x-x_1)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ ln(x-x_n)[/itex]
what do you get when you differentiate that?

Yes I see that the result works for n=2 and even 3. But I do not see how that helps starting off a proof by Induction.

Yes I tried this too but I still cannot see how I get the [tex](a_{i})^r[/tex] terms unless I do something like what I tried in my first post i.e. use an expanded form of f(x) and differentiate as the highest order term is of order n-1.

How does 1/f(x) look if you use partial fractions... get a few terms... you'll see a pattern...

Then examine what f'(ai) looks like.

Relate the above 2 ideas...

Thanks very much for the help.
I see it now: Consider a1^r/f'(a1) as the polynomial x^r/[(x-a2)(x-a3)...(x-an)] and split this into partial fractions just like 1/f(x) above and you find a1^r/f'(a1) is just he negative of the sum of all other such terms with the other n-1 factors of f(x).
This works for r<n-1. For the r=n-1 case I differentiated the expanded f(x), divided by f'(x), and then substituted in a1,a2,...,an and added. From above all terms with r<n-1 are zero so we are left with n=n*Sum(a^(n-1)/f'(a)).

Thanks again for the hints.

Related to Proving the Sum of Partial Fractions Question

1. What is the purpose of solving partial fractions?

The purpose of solving partial fractions is to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions that can be easier to integrate or manipulate in mathematical equations.

2. How do you determine the partial fraction decomposition for a given rational function?

To determine the partial fraction decomposition, you first factor the denominator of the rational function into its irreducible factors. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the numerator and solve for the unknown constants.

3. Can all rational functions be decomposed into partial fractions?

Yes, all rational functions can be decomposed into partial fractions. However, the process may become more complex if the denominator has repeated or complex roots.

4. Are there any restrictions or limitations to using partial fractions?

There are certain restrictions to using partial fractions, such as the rational function must have a proper fraction (the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator) and the denominator must be factorable into distinct linear or quadratic factors.

5. How can solving partial fractions be useful in real-life applications?

Solving partial fractions can be useful in engineering, physics, and other sciences, where complex equations need to be simplified for calculations. It can also be used in economic and business applications, such as analyzing supply and demand curves.