Proving time constant formulas of a capacitor using Kirchoff's laws

In summary, the attached files are a diagram of the circuit. Kirchhoff's laws can be used to prove the formulas in equations (7) and (8). However, equation (8) may need a negative sign on the left side to get a solution that decays instead of grows exponentially. Thank you for the help.
estudent1371
Homework Statement
Using R1, R2, ℰ and C along with Kirchhoff’s laws, prove the formulas in equations (7) and (8).
Relevant Equations
time constant charging
(7) t_c=(R_1 R_2)/(R_1+R_2 ) C
time constant discharging
(8) t_d=R_2 C
the attached files are a diagram of the circuit. also I believe I figured out how to proof equation (7) but I'm lost on how to proof (8)
20200412_090506.jpg
20200412_090510.jpg

Attachments

• physics HW prob.docx
    139.1 KB · Views: 106
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
estudent1371 said:
Homework Statement:: Using R1, R2, ℰ and C along with Kirchhoff’s laws, prove the formulas in equations (7) and (8).
Relevant Equations:: time constant charging
(7) t_c=(R_1 R_2)/(R_1+R_2 ) C
time constant discharging
(8) t_d=R_2 C

I'm lost on how to proof (8)
For equation 8, in order for the capacitor to discharge, what has to happen to the voltage source? (Hint: think "open circuit" for the source when it's off in this problem)

Your derivation of (7) looks good to me. The second line of the second page could be fixed up a bit. It is missing a parenthesis on the right-hand side and the limits of integration are not indicated.

thank you for the help so I have made some head way but I feel like i may have made a mistake in my math?
solution.jpg

Likes nuruddeen
Looks like you were a little sneaky with inserting a negative sign on the left side of the third equation below the crossed-out box. :oldsmile: How can you justify that?

I would go back to the equations at the top of the page and think about signs. Are you still considering I2 to be positive if it flows downward through R2? Are you still considering Q to be the charge on the upper plate of C?

TSny said:
Looks like you were a little sneaky with inserting a negative sign on the left side of the third equation below the crossed-out box. :oldsmile: How can you justify that?

I would go back to the equations at the top of the page and think about signs. Are you still considering I2 to be positive if it flows downward through R2? Are you still considering Q to be the charge on the upper plate of C?
I didn't show the step but my integral on the left side is going from charged Q to completely discharged. but I used the integral property to switch them and put a negative in ∫ 0Q=-∫Q0. However, I do see your point in that the current of the mini loop would flow in the opposite direction.

Your equation ##\frac{dQ}{Q} = \frac{dt}{R_2C}## should actually be ##\frac{dQ}{Q} = -\frac{dt}{R_2C}##. Without the negative sign, the equation would yield a solution in which ##Q## grows exponentially with time rather than decays.

Integrating ##\frac{dQ}{Q} = -\frac{dt}{R_2C}## gives $$\int_{Q_0}^{Q(t)} \frac{dQ}{Q} = -\int_0^t\frac{dt}{R_2C}$$

At time ##t = 0##, the charge on the capacitor is ##Q_0##. At the later time ##t##, the charge is ##Q(t)##.

Note that your integral ##-\int_{0}^{Q} \frac{dQ}{Q}## leads to trouble with the lower limit of ##0## since ##\ln{0}## is undefined. This is related to the fact that it takes an infinite amount of time for the charge to decay to zero.

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that are used to determine the voltage and current in a circuit. These laws are based on the conservation of energy and charge.

2. How do Kirchoff's Laws relate to capacitors?

Kirchoff's Laws can be applied to capacitors in a circuit to determine the voltage and current across the capacitor. This is useful in proving time constant formulas, as the laws can be used to analyze the behavior of the capacitor over time.

3. What is the time constant formula for a capacitor?

The time constant formula for a capacitor is τ = RC, where τ is the time constant in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula is used to calculate the time it takes for a capacitor to charge or discharge to a certain level.

4. How can Kirchoff's Laws be used to prove the time constant formula of a capacitor?

Kirchoff's Laws can be used to analyze the voltage and current in a circuit containing a capacitor. By applying these laws and using the time constant formula, the behavior of the capacitor over time can be determined and the formula can be proven.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchoff's Laws to prove the time constant formula of a capacitor?

While Kirchoff's Laws are a useful tool in analyzing circuits, they do have limitations. These laws assume that the circuit is in a steady state and does not take into account any transient effects. Additionally, the laws are based on ideal components and may not accurately represent real-world circuits.