Proving Trigonometric Identities: Attempt and Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to prove a trigonometric identity and the various approaches that have been tried. It is revealed that there was a typo in the original problem and the correct identity is 1 - \frac{\sin^2 t}{1 + \cot t} - \frac{\cos^2 t}{1+\tan t} = \sin t \cos t. The solution is then straightforward.
loisNominator

Homework Statement

I'm attempting to prove that

1 - sin^2 t /(1 + cos t) - cos^2/(1+tan t) = cos t sin t

2. The attempt at a solution

I've tried various approaches. The most promising has the LHS reduced to:

(sin t cos t (1 + cos t + sin t cos t))/((1 + cos t)(cos t + sin t)).

I've also shown numerically that the LHS resembles the RHS so I don't think there was a typo in the original problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that:

[tex]
\frac{\sin^2(t)}{1+\cos(t)} = \frac{(1+\cos(t))(1-\cos(t))}{1+\cos(t)} = 1-\cos(t) [/tex]You think you can proceed from this point on?

The first two terms simplify to cos t, but I'm still having the same issue wrt further simplification. One version has me stuck at:

cos t (cos t + sin t - cos^2 t)/(cos t + sin t)

I'd appreciate another hint. Thanks.

Is this the trigo identity you're trying to prove:

[tex]1 - \frac{\sin^2 t}{1 + \cos t} - \frac{\cos^2 t}{1+\tan t} = \sin t \cos t[/tex]

If so, then it doesn't appear to hold for [itex]t=\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex].

Defennder said:
Is this the trigo identity you're trying to prove:

[tex]1 - \frac{\sin^2 t}{1 + \cos t} - \frac{\cos^2 t}{1+\tan t} = \sin t \cos t[/tex]

If so, then it doesn't appear to hold for [itex]t=\frac{\pi}{4}[/itex].

So it appears. Let me go back to the person who set the original problem. Sorry!

loisNominator said:
So it appears. Let me go back to the person who set the original problem. Sorry!

It turns out that it was a typo. It should read:
[tex]1 - \frac{\sin^2 t}{1 + \cot t} - \frac{\cos^2 t}{1+\tan t} = \sin t \cos t[/tex]

Solution is straightforward.

Related to Proving Trigonometric Identities: Attempt and Solution

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions and is always true, no matter what values are substituted for the variables.

What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions, making it easier to solve equations and prove mathematical theorems.

How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric identities until it is equivalent to the other side. This can involve techniques such as factoring, using reciprocal identities, and substituting in known values.

What are some real-life applications of trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They are used to solve problems involving angles, distances, and forces, and are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of waves and oscillatory systems.