Proving Unitary Matrix Norm: $$||UA||_2 = ||AU||_2$$

The eigenvectors do not matter.In summary, we can show that ##U^*A^*AU## and ##A^*A## have the same eigenvalues by starting with an eigenvalue ##\lambda## of ##U^*A^*AU## and showing that it is also an eigenvalue of ##A^*A##, and conversely starting with an eigenvalue ##\mu## of ##A^*A## and showing it is also an eigenvalue of ##U^*A^*AU##. Since the spectral radius depends on the eigenvalues, it follows that ##||UA||_2 = ||AU||_2##.
pyroknife

Homework Statement

Prove $$||UA||_2 = ||AU||_2$$ where ##U## is a n-by-n unitary matrix and A is a n-by-m unitary matrix.

Homework Equations

For any matrix A, ##||A||_2 = \rho(A^*A)^.5##, ##\rho## is the spectral radius (maximum eigenvalue)
where ##A^*## presents the complex conjugate of A.

U is unitary, which means ##U^* = U^{-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##||UA||_2 = \rho(A^* U^* UA)^.5 = \rho(A^* A)^.5##
##||AU||_2 = \rho(U^* A^* AU)^.5##
This is really as far as I got. I know that I must prove how to equate these 2 expressions. But the second expression is giving me some trouble, and nothing jumps out as me as to how to get this into the form of the 1st expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:

Homework Statement

Prove $$||UA||_2 = ||AU||_2$$ where ##U## is a n-by-n unitary matrix and A is a n-by-m unitary matrix.

Homework Equations

For any matrix A, ##||A||_2 = \rho(A^*A)^.5##, ##\rho## is the spectral radius (maximum eigenvalue)
where ##A^*## presents the complex conjugate of A.

U is unitary, which means ##U^* = U^{-1}##

The Attempt at a Solution

##||UA||_2 = \rho(A^* U^* UA)^.5 = \rho(A^* A)^.5##
##||AU||_2 = \rho(U^* A^* AU)^.5##
This is really as far as I got. I know that I must prove how to equate these 2 expressions. But the second expression is giving me some trouble, and nothing jumps out as me as to how to get this into the form of the 1st expression.
Try to show that an eigenvalue of ##A^* A## is also an eigenvalue of ##U^* A^* AU##, and likewise that an eigenvalue of ##U^* A^* AU## is also an eigenvalue of ##A^* A##.

EDIT: in your problem statement, it says "A is a n-by-m unitary matrix". I assume that was meant to be "A is a n-by-n matrix".

Last edited:
Likes pyroknife
Samy_A said:
Try to show that an eigenvalue of ##A^* A## is also an eigenvalue of ##U^* A^* AU##, and likewise that an eigenvalue of ##U^* A^* AU## is also an eigenvalue of ##A^* A##.

EDIT: in your problem statement, it says "A is a n-by-m unitary matrix". I assume that was meant to be "A is a n-by-n matrix".
Thanks, this is what I am trying to do, but I am lost on how to approach this. There must be some special property unitary matrices that I am missing that could greatly help. Any hints?

Regarding your edit: No, my OP is correct. A is an n-by-m matrix where n doesn't necessarily have to equal m. I was confused about this at first because we are dealing with eigenvalues which only works with square matrices, but the 2-norm of a matrix is the max eigenvalue of the matrix ##A^*A## which is always square.

pyroknife said:
Regarding your edit: No, my OP is correct. A is an n-by-m matrix where n doesn't necessarily have to equal m. I was confused about this at first because we are dealing with eigenvalues which only works with square matrices, but the 2-norm of a matrix is the max eigenvalue of the matrix ##A^*A## which is always square.
I don't get this. If A is a n-by-m matrix with m different from n, how do you define ##AU##, the multiplication of a n-by-m matrix by a n-by-n matrix?

Likes pyroknife
Samy_A said:
I don't get this. If A is a n-by-m matrix with m different from n, how do you define ##AU##, the multiplication of a n-by-m matrix by a n-by-n matrix?
Hmmm, I completely missed that part. I agree. This is a strange. A has to be square then.

pyroknife said:
Hmmm, I completely missed that part. I agree. This is a strange. A has to be square then.
Ok.

So just start with an eigenvalue ##\lambda## of ##U^* A^* AU##.
For some ##x \neq \vec 0##, ##U^* A^* AUx=\lambda x##.
Now Apply ##U## to both sides, and remember that ##U## is unitary, meaning ##UU^*=I##.

Conversely, say ##\mu## is an eigenvalue of ##A^*A##, meaning ##A^*Ay=\mu y## for some ##y \neq \vec 0##. Since ##U## is invertible, there is a ##z## such that ##y=Uz##. That yields ##A^*AUz=\mu Uz##. What happens when you apply ##U^*## to both sides?

Likes pyroknife
Samy_A said:
Ok.

So just start with an eigenvalue ##\lambda## of ##U^* A^* AU##.
For some ##x \neq \vec 0##, ##U^* A^* AUx=\lambda x##.
Now Apply ##U## to both sides, and remember that ##U## is unitary, meaning ##UU^*=I##.

Conversely, say ##\mu## is an eigenvalue of ##A^*A##, meaning ##A^*Ay=\mu y## for some ##y \neq \vec 0##. Since ##U## is invertible, there is a ##z## such that ##y=Uz##. That yields ##A^*AUz=\mu Uz##. What happens when you apply ##U^*## to both sides?
Thanks! So when you apply ##U^*## to both sides, you get the expression:
##U^*A^*AUz = \mu z##
and we know ##z = U^{-1}y##, plugging this back in, we obtain:
##U^*A^*AUU^{-1}y = \mu U^{-1}y##
=> ##U^*A^*Ay = \mu U^{-1}y##
Since U is a unitary matrix, that means ##U^* = U^{-1}##, so the above expression becomes (after multiplying U to both sides):
##A^*Ay = \mu y##

This is not sufficient right? What I see is I have shown that ##A^*Ay=\mu y## and ##U^*A^*AUz = \mu z## have the same eigenvalue ##\mu## but corresponding to different eigenvectors.

pyroknife said:
Thanks! So when you apply ##U^*## to both sides, you get the expression:
##U^*A^*AUz = \mu z##
You can stop here. You have shown that ##\mu## is an eigenvalue of ##U^*A^*AU## (with eigenvector ##z##, but we don't care much for eigenvectors in this exercise, see below). That goes for any eigenvalue of ##A^*A##.
pyroknife said:
This is not sufficient right? What I see is I have shown that ##A^*Ay=\mu y## and ##U^*A^*AUz = \mu z## have the same eigenvalue ##\mu## but corresponding to different eigenvectors.
The spectral radius depends on the eigenvalues, not the eigenvectors.
If you show that ##U^*A^*AU## and ##A^*A## have the same eigenvalues, it follows that their spectral radius is the same too. That then proves that ##||UA||_2=||AU||_2## (see your first post).

Likes pyroknife
Samy_A said:
You can stop here. You have shown that ##\mu## is an eigenvalue of ##U^*A^*AU## (with eigenvector z, but we don't care much for eigenvectors in this exercise, see below). That goes for any eigenvalue of ##A^*A##.

Now do the same in the reverse order, with some ##\lambda## as eigenvalue of ##U^*A^*AU##. Show that it is an eigenvalue of ##A^*A##.
The spectral radius depends on the eigenvalues, not the eigenvectors.
If you show that ##U^*A^*AU## and ##A^*A## have the same eigenvalues, it follows that their spectral radius is the same too. That then proves that ##||UA||_2=||AU||_2## (see your first post).
Great thanks.
Why do we need to prove it in the reverse order?
Typically for if and only if conditions I have to prove both in the forward and reverse direction, but this seems like just an equality proof. Shouldn't showing that ##\mu## is an eigenvalue of both ##U^*A^*AU## and ##A^*A## already have ##||UA||_2=||AU||_2##?

pyroknife said:
Great thanks.
Why do we need to prove it in the reverse order?
Typically for if and only if conditions I have to prove both in the forward and reverse direction, but this seems like just an equality proof. Shouldn't showing that ##\mu## is an eigenvalue of both ##U^*A^*AU## and ##A^*A## already have ##||UA||_2=||AU||_2##?
Yes, I see now how you did it. It is somewhat different from what I had in mind, but equally correct.

Likes pyroknife
Samy_A said:
Yes, I see now how you did it. It is somewhat different from what I had in mind, but equally correct.
Awesome, what were you thinking out of curiosity? I was trying proving the reverse way earlier, but couldn't figure it out.

pyroknife said:
Awesome, what were you thinking out of curiosity? I was trying proving the reverse way earlier, but couldn't figure it out.
The reverse part I had in mind was:
Let ##\lambda## be an eigenvalue of ##U^* A^* AU##, then ##U^* A^* AUx=\lambda x##.
Applying ##U## to both sides gives ##UU^* A^* AUx=\lambda Ux##. Since ##U## is unitary, this becomes ##A^* AUx=\lambda Ux##, showing that ##\lambda## is an eigenvalue of ##A^* A## (with eigenvector ##Ux##).
But this is essentially the same as what you did.

Likes pyroknife
Samy_A said:
The reverse part I had in mind was:
Let ##\lambda## be an eigenvalue of ##U^* A^* AU##, then ##U^* A^* AUx=\lambda x##.
Applying ##U## to both sides gives ##UU^* A^* AUx=\lambda Ux##. Since ##U## is unitary, this becomes ##A^* AUx=\lambda Ux##, showing that ##\lambda## is an eigenvalue of ##A^* A## (with eigenvector ##Ux##).
But this is essentially the same as what you did.
OH WOW. I actually got to the expression ##A^* AUx=\lambda Ux##, but I was stuck on the ##Ux##. I was under the impression that the eigenvector x from the original expression should be maintained, but as we discussed, that is not the case since we really only care about the eigenvalues. And I also failed to recognize that ##Ux## is an eigen-vector itself corresponding to ##A^*A##.

Thanks for all the help.

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix whose inverse is equal to its conjugate transpose. In other words, a unitary matrix is a matrix that satisfies the equation U-1 = U*, where U* is the conjugate transpose of U.

2. What is the 2-norm of a matrix?

The 2-norm of a matrix is the largest singular value of the matrix. It is also known as the spectral norm and is denoted by ||A||2. It measures the maximum stretching factor of the matrix and is used to quantify the size of a matrix in linear algebra.

3. Why is it important to prove that ||UA||2 = ||AU||2 for unitary matrices?

This equality is important because it shows that unitary matrices preserve the 2-norm of a matrix. This means that the size of a matrix remains the same when multiplied by a unitary matrix. It also has many practical applications in fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and data compression.

4. How is the equality ||UA||2 = ||AU||2 proved?

The proof involves using the properties of unitary matrices and the definition of the 2-norm. It can be shown that the 2-norm of a matrix is equal to the square root of the largest eigenvalue of the matrix's conjugate transpose multiplied by the matrix itself. By manipulating the equations and using the properties of unitary matrices, the equality can be proved.

5. Can this equality be extended to higher matrix norms?

Yes, this equality can be extended to higher matrix norms such as the Frobenius norm and the infinity norm. However, the proof for each norm may differ and may require different properties of unitary matrices. The 2-norm equality is the most commonly used and studied, but the concept can be extended to other matrix norms as well.