Pulley at an Angle Problem - Newton Forces

In summary, the conversation involves solving for the maximum weight of a hanging block for which the system is stationary. The tension in the rope connecting the two objects is equal to the weight of the hanging block. The equations for equilibrium in the x and y directions should be written before plugging in any numbers. Complete solutions should not be posted on a homework forum.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-7_20-18-20.png

Homework Equations

Friction Force = normal force * static coefficient for friction
Fnet = ma
upload_2017-11-7_20-20-17.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So i drew the free-body diagrams for both the objects...[/B]
Im trying to figure out the tension in the 2nd free body diagram and i know that it's equal to the weight of the object (which i want)...

I was wondering which tension in the first body diagram equals the tension to the 2nd object? I found that Friction = 684 (1520*0.45) thus the component force in the x direction for the rope should be 684.

I then found the hypotenuse of that to find Tension, which is Tcos(60) = 684 and found that T = 1184... but it's not really that close to the answers in the problem! (it is closest to 1898 N, but I am not sure if that's the correct answer)

What did i do wrong!?

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-7_20-18-20.png
    upload_2017-11-7_20-18-20.png
    25 KB · Views: 1,295
  • upload_2017-11-7_20-20-17.png
    upload_2017-11-7_20-20-17.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 696
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show the equation that you used to get the normal force and from it the maximum force of static friction?

I'm not sure what it is you're doing. Why are you trying to find tension? As you said, the tension is the weight of the hanging block, so you already the know tension. The problem is to then find the maximum weight of the hanging block (i.e., maximum tension) for which the system is stationary.

Under what condition will the first block begin to move in the x direction?

RedDelicious said:
I'm not sure what it is you're doing. Why are you trying to find tension? As you said, the tension is the weight of the hanging block, so you already the know tension. The problem is to then find the maximum weight of the hanging block (i.e., maximum tension) for which the system is stationary.

Under what condition will the first block begin to move in the x direction?
Wait I'm confused. I don't know tension cause I don't know the weight of the hanging block?

You don't know what it is but you know it is equal to the hanging weight because everything is at equilibrium. The hanging weight is what you are looking for, so call it W and proceed with the calculation. In the end you should be able to find a value for W.

Lori said:
Wait I'm confused. I don't know tension cause I don't know the weight of the hanging block?
RedDelicious' post is rather confusing. Not sure what was intended. Ignore that and try to answer Kuruman's question in post #2.
Lori said:
was wondering which tension in the first body diagram equals the tension to the 2nd object?
There is only one tension in each diagram. Can you think of a reason why they should or should not be equal?

haruspex said:
RedDelicious' post is rather confusing. Not sure what was intended. Ignore that and try to answer Kuruman's question in post #2.

There is only one tension in each diagram. Can you think of a reason why they should or should not be equal?
Hold on, I'll work on this problem later, but to answer your question , I suppose the rope that connect the objects must have the same tension

Lori said:
the rope that connect the objects must have the same tension
Yes, but it is interesting to prove it. Consider the torque balance on the pulley.

haruspex said:

I'm trying to solve for W , but i keep getting that T = 1368 = W??

I did this since Friction force would be 684 so that means that x components must balance out for the x forces. Thus, i did the 684/cos(60) to find the tension of the rope which i know equals the weight of the hanging mass??

Lori said:
since Friction force would be 684
That is why you need to respond to kuruman's post #2. Write out the equations by which you deduce that.

haruspex said:
That is why you need to respond to kuruman's post #2. Write out the equations by which you deduce that.

Friction = 0.4N

N = cos60 = ?/T

N + T = 1520

Friction = 0.4 (1520-T)

Lori said:
Friction = 0.4N
Yes.
Lori said:
N = cos60 = ?/T
I don't understand what you mean by that.
Lori said:
N + T = 1520
The tension is not vertical.

haruspex said:
Yes.

I don't understand what you mean by that.

The tension is not vertical.
Is normal force not going to be equal to the weight of the object because tension is involved? So that the tension's y component + the normal force = 1520 ( weight of object)

Here is solution hope u understand and T=weight of hanging block

Lori said:
Is normal force not going to be equal to the weight of the object because tension is involved? So that the tension's y component + the normal force = 1520 ( weight of object)
Right.

Abhishek kumar said:
Here is solution hope u understand and T=weight of hanging block
This is a homework forum. The rule is to post hints, point out errors, etc. Please do not post complete solutions.

Ahhh. Thank you. I understand what you guys were wanting me to do... I think the problem was that I plugged in numbers to early on, and I should have written the equations that showed equilibrium in the x and y directions. .

Thanks everyone [emoji32]

Slowly understanding physics!

Ok
haruspex said:
This is a homework forum. The rule is to post hints, point out errors, etc. Please do not post complete solutions.
Ok from now onwards i will keep in mind that

What is a pulley at an angle problem?

A pulley at an angle problem is a physics problem that involves a pulley that is positioned at an angle rather than horizontally. This affects the forces acting on the system and requires the use of Newton's laws of motion to solve.

What are the forces involved in a pulley at an angle problem?

The forces involved in a pulley at an angle problem are tension, weight, and friction. Tension is the force exerted by the rope or string on the pulley, weight is the force of gravity acting on the object, and friction is the force that opposes motion.

How do you calculate the tension in a pulley at an angle problem?

To calculate the tension in a pulley at an angle problem, you can use the equation T = W/sin(θ), where T is the tension, W is the weight of the object, and θ is the angle of the pulley. This equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion.

What is the difference between a single pulley and a compound pulley at an angle?

A single pulley at an angle involves only one pulley, while a compound pulley at an angle involves multiple pulleys and ropes. In a single pulley, the weight of the object is equal to the tension in the rope, whereas in a compound pulley, the weight of the object is divided between the different ropes and pulleys.

What are some real-life examples of pulley at an angle problems?

Some real-life examples of pulley at an angle problems include elevators, flagpoles, and cranes. In these situations, the pulleys are often positioned at an angle to allow for more efficient use of forces and to lift or move heavy objects.