Pulley Systems: Ideal Mechanical Advantage & Efficiency

• Thread starter NeedsHelp1212
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pulley
In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of increasing the load and the number of pulleys on the ideal mechanical advantage (IMA) and efficiency of a pulley system. It is concluded that as the load increases, both the IMA and efficiency decrease due to increased friction. However, increasing the number of pulleys results in an increase in both the IMA and efficiency. The number of lifting strands on each setup is also discussed, with A having 1, B having 2, C having 2, and D having 4 strands. The conversation ends with a request for verification of the answers and a desire for more confidence in them.
NeedsHelp1212

Homework Statement

1. How does increasing the load affect the ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency of a pulley system?

2. How does increasing the number of pulleys affect the ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency of a pulley system?

The Attempt at a Solution

My data is all messed up for this lab so just using logic for number 1 I am inferring that for both it would go down due to the increased amount of friction. And for 2 I would say it makes it more efficient, Please verify!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
could someone take a look at that link and also verify the amount or number of lifting strands on each set up. My lab group put different stuff down then what I think it is. Personally i think A is 1, B is 2, not sure about C or D

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 509
I need a good grade but here's what i think, As you increase the load the IMA and efficiency both decrease. The problem with my data is the efficiency decreases but the IMA increases..why?

Increasing the number of pulleys increases both the IMA and efficiency, I am def sure about that

And for the number of strands I read on the lab its the number of strings used to the support the load

a- definitely 1

b- has 2

c- has 2

d- has 4

Come on guys, this seems easy, i just want to have a little more confidence with my answers

1. Increasing the load in a pulley system will decrease the ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency. This is because as the load increases, the amount of work required to lift it also increases. This results in a decrease in the mechanical advantage, which is the ratio of the output force to the input force. Additionally, as the load increases, there is also an increase in friction within the pulley system, which decreases the efficiency of the system.

2. Increasing the number of pulleys in a pulley system can increase the ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency. This is because with more pulleys, the load is distributed among multiple ropes, reducing the amount of force required to lift the load. This results in a higher mechanical advantage. Additionally, with more pulleys, there are more contact points, which can decrease the amount of friction within the system, leading to a higher efficiency. However, there may be practical limitations to the number of pulleys that can be added to a system, such as the weight and size of the pulleys themselves, which could ultimately limit the potential increase in ideal mechanical advantage and efficiency.

1. What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a simple machine that is used to lift or move heavy objects. It consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that runs through the groove. When one end of the rope is pulled, the object attached to the other end moves in the opposite direction.

2. What is ideal mechanical advantage (IMA)?

Ideal mechanical advantage (IMA) is the ratio of the output force to the input force of a pulley system. It is calculated by dividing the radius of the input pulley by the radius of the output pulley. IMA is a theoretical value and takes into account friction and other factors.

3. How is efficiency of a pulley system calculated?

The efficiency of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the actual mechanical advantage (AMA) by the ideal mechanical advantage (IMA) and multiplying by 100%. AMA is the ratio of the output force to the input force, taking into account friction and other factors that affect the system's performance.

4. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force applied. It has an ideal mechanical advantage of 1. On the other hand, a movable pulley is attached to the object being moved and changes the direction of the force as well as reducing the amount of force needed to move the object. It has an ideal mechanical advantage greater than 1.

5. How can pulley systems be made more efficient?

Pulley systems can be made more efficient by reducing friction within the system. This can be achieved by using smooth and well-lubricated pulleys, using lightweight and low-friction ropes or cables, and reducing the number of pulleys in the system. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help to improve the efficiency of pulley systems.