How Do You Calculate Forces on a Crate on an Inclined Plane?

• Thread starter Nikstykal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, A crate of mass m is pushed horizontally with force F up an inclined plane of θ from the ground. The plane has a friction coefficient of μ. To determine the normal force, N, acting on the crate, the free body diagram is set up with the normal force as the y-axis. This allows the equation ΣFy = may to be simplified to ay = 0, resulting in N = Fsinθ + mgcosθ. The acceleration, a, is then determined by substituting N into the equation ΣFx = max = -μ(Fsinθ + mgcosθ) + Fcosθ - mgsinθ.
Nikstykal

Homework Statement

Crate of mass m is pushed horizontally with force F up an inclined plane of θ from ground. The plane has a friction coefficient of μ.

a) draw free body diagram of crate
b) derive expression for normal force
c) derive expression for acceleration

*** Use ONLY m, g, F, μ, θ ****

Homework Equations

ΣF = ma
|a| = √(ax2+ay2)

The Attempt at a Solution

w8KETdD.png
[/B]
Included is a picture of the problem with my free body diagram.

I set the normal as the y-axis so that when solving ΣFy=may I can set ay=0.

ΣFx=max=-μN+Fcosθ-mgsinθ
ΣFy=may=N-Fsinθ-mgcosθ

ay=0 so N = Fsinθ+mgcosθ (part b)

Since ay=0, a=√ax2 = ax. Substituting N into ax:
max=-μ(Fsinθ+mgcosθ)+Fcosθ-mgsinθ

is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks correct to me as well although I would have drawn the fbd at the same angle. Nothing wrong with yours it just look odd.

CWatters said:
Looks correct to me as well although I would have drawn the fbd at the same angle. Nothing wrong with yours it just look odd.
If you do that then you will have two components of acceleration (in the x AND y direction) and so your definition of N would involve more variables than the ones they allow, or at least would involve a lot more manipulation to isolate N.

Nikstykal said:
If you do that then you will have two components of acceleration (in the x AND y direction) and so your definition of N would involve more variables than the ones they allow, or at least would involve a lot more manipulation to isolate N.
mfb was only commenting on the orientation of the FBD. You can draw it with the same orientation as the physical arrangement but still choose the X and Y axes as parallel and normal to the plane.

Oh... my bad

1. How does the angle of the incline affect the force required to push a crate up?

The steeper the incline, the more force is required to push the crate up. This is because the weight of the crate is acting more perpendicular to the incline, making it more difficult to overcome gravity.

2. What role does friction play in pushing a crate up an incline?

Friction acts against the motion of the crate, making it harder to push up the incline. This force increases as the angle of the incline increases, and can be reduced by using lubricants or reducing the weight of the crate.

3. Is it easier to push a crate up an incline or to lift it vertically?

It requires less force to push a crate up an incline than it does to lift it vertically. This is because the force of gravity acting on the crate is distributed over a larger surface area when pushing up an incline, making it easier to overcome.

4. How does the weight of the crate affect the force required to push it up an incline?

The heavier the crate, the more force is required to push it up an incline. This is because the weight of the crate is a factor in calculating the force of gravity acting on it, and therefore the force needed to overcome it.

5. Is there an optimum angle for pushing a crate up an incline?

Yes, there is an optimum angle for pushing a crate up an incline. This angle is dependent on the weight and size of the crate, as well as the surface of the incline. In general, a shallower incline will require less force to push the crate up.