Q about current article: On-demand Hydrogen Generation : ACS Nano Letters

In summary, the conversation discusses a study on splitting water molecules using silicon as a catalyst. The abstract is available for $35 and the energy required for the reaction comes from the high energy of formation of SiO2. There is a comparison made between this method and using Al/Ga alloy.
pdxjjb
Here is the abstract: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nl304680w

I would need to pay the $35 so I have not read the full text.

Question: it says "...without Light, Heat, or Electricity." Where is the energy required to split the water molecules coming from?

Jeff

Chemistry news on Phys.org
2H2O +Si -> SiO2 +2H2

This reaction is very exothermic due to the high energy of formation of SiO2.

In a way it is not much different from using Al/Ga alloy for the same purpose.

Thank you both. I foolishly thought they might be claiming some kind of catalysis. I saw the error of my ways soon after posting.

, the energy required for this on-demand hydrogen generation process is likely coming from a chemical reaction within the system. This could involve a catalyst or other reactants that release energy when combined with water molecules. Without access to the full text, it is difficult to determine the exact source of energy for this process. However, it is clear that this technology is exploring alternative methods for hydrogen generation that do not rely on traditional sources of energy such as light, heat, or electricity. Further research and experimentation will help to elucidate the specific mechanism and potential applications of this innovative approach.

What is the purpose of "On-demand Hydrogen Generation"?

The purpose of "On-demand Hydrogen Generation" is to provide a sustainable and efficient method for producing hydrogen gas, which is a clean and renewable energy source.

How is hydrogen gas produced in this method?

Hydrogen gas is produced through the reaction of a solid state chemical hydride with water, which results in the release of hydrogen gas.

What are the potential applications of this technology?

This technology has potential applications in fuel cells, hydrogen-powered vehicles, energy storage, and other clean energy systems.

What are the advantages of on-demand hydrogen generation compared to traditional hydrogen production methods?

On-demand hydrogen generation offers several advantages, including faster and more efficient production, minimal waste and byproducts, and the ability to produce hydrogen on-site and on-demand.

Are there any challenges or limitations associated with this technology?

Some challenges and limitations of on-demand hydrogen generation include the need for a stable and efficient chemical hydride, the cost of materials and production, and the scalability of the technology for large-scale use.