tracker890 Source h
Homework Statement
Confusing in the Conservation of Mass Flow Rate and Conservation of Flow Rate
Relevant Equations
Continuity Equation
1694242062509.png
1694242399829.png

ref. answer
Q: Why ρ1≠ρ2≠ρ3, but the answer says ρ1Q1+ρ2Q2=ρ3Q3 can be simplified into Q1+Q2=Q3?

Physics news on Phys.org
tracker890 Source h said:
Q: Why ρ1≠ρ2≠ρ3, but the answer says ρ1Q1+ρ2Q2=ρ3Q3 can be simplified into Q1+Q2=Q3?
The summation of the entering volumetric flows must be equal to the single leaving volumetric flow.
Otherwise, compression or expansion would be happening within the control volume indicated in dashed lines.
But those flowing substances are in liquid form, which are considered incompressible.

Imagine that we are doing the mixing of two volumes of liquids by hand in one second.
The mix will occupy a volume of 0.1 + 0.3 = 0.4 cubic meters, but its density will be a value between 1 SG and 0.8 SG.
As we are mixing 1 part of water and 3 parts of alcohol, the mix density should be closer to 0.8 SG.

Last edited:
Lnewqban said:
The summation of the entering volumetric flows must be equal to the single leaving volumetric flow.
Otherwise, compression or expansion would be happening within the control volume indicated in dashed lines.
But those flowing substances are in liquid form, which are considered incompressible.

Imagine that we are doing the mixing of two volumes of liquids by hand in one second.
The mix will occupy a volume of 0.1 + 0.3 = 0.4 cubic meters, but its density will be a value between 1 SG and 0.8 SG.
As we are mixing 1 part of water and 3 parts of alcohol, the mix density should be closer to 0.8 SG.
I can understand it intuitively, but I hope to find a mathematical derivation as well. Currently, I have only reached the divergence theorem for cases with equal densities.
Currently in search of a proof for the divergence theorem with varying densities.

I can understand it intuitively
I don't think you do, because (assuming the liquids are incompressible and there are no leaks), the only thing to understand is 0.1 + 0.3 = 0.4!

Think of a litre of liquid as a ball. If during an interval you have 1 yellow ball and 3 red balls entering the system on the left, how many balls will exit the system on the right (assuming the balls are not being compressed or lost)?

Currently in search of a proof for the divergence theorem with varying densities.
No, the densities do not vary, they are constant. Different but constant. And the proof for different but constant densities is the same as the proof for equal densities.

Likes tracker890 Source h
pbuk said:
I don't think you do, because (assuming the liquids are incompressible and there are no leaks), the only thing to understand is 0.1 + 0.3 = 0.4!

Think of a litre of liquid as a ball. If during an interval you have 1 yellow ball and 3 red balls entering the system on the left, how many balls will exit the system on the right (assuming the balls are not being compressed or lost)?No, the densities do not vary, they are constant. Different but constant. And the proof for different but constant densities is the same as the proof for equal densities.
Thank you for your detailed explanation, which reminds me of the concept of thermodynamics with its large systems and subsystems.

the answer says ρ1Q1+ρ2Q2=ρ3Q3 can be simplified into Q1+Q2=Q3?
No, it cannot be simplified to that. The two statements are independently true. One represents conservation of mass, while the other represents conservation of total volume. The second is true because the liquids do not interact in a way that would make the total volume anything other than the sum of volumes (assuming they enter at the same temperature).

haruspex said:
The second is true because the liquids do not interact in a way that would make the total volume anything other than the sum of volumes (assuming they enter at the same temperature).
Is this true for any two liquids? Can one liquid dissolve in another?

gmax137 said:
Can one liquid dissolve in another?
Quite possibly, but I would say it is unlikely for the two given here. Certainly the author doesn’t think so.

haruspex said:
Certainly the author doesn’t think so.
Yes, but this seems (to me) to be precisely the OP's doubt.

gmax137 said:
Yes, but this seems (to me) to be precisely the OP's doubt.
I was replying to the comment in post #1 wherein the OP seemed to think the author had derived the volume conservation from the mass conservation.

gmax137 said:
Is this true for any two liquids? Can one liquid dissolve in another?
From decades past: I recall a demonstration in my 8th grade Chemistry class when 500ml of water was combined with 500ml of methanol, resulting in 950ml of mixture.

Likes jbriggs444 and erobz
Robert Jansen said:
From decades past: I recall a demonstration in my 8th grade Chemistry class when 500ml of water was combined with 500ml of methanol, resulting in 950ml of mixture.
That kind of puts a wrench in the problem statement...

Likes jbriggs444
Robert Jansen said:

erobz said:
That kind of puts a wrench in the problem statement...
that's what I was thinking :wink:

Likes erobz
haruspex said:
Quite possibly, but I would say it is unlikely for the two given here. Certainly the author doesn’t think so.
The nearest liquor store has plenty of solutions of alcohol in water with varying concentrations and trace constituents.

jbriggs444 said:
The nearest liquor store has plenty of solutions of alcohol in water with varying concentrations and trace constituents.
Yes, I should have clarified that I was interpreting the question as being whether one liquid could take up another without changing volume. But of course, even water taking up salt probably changes volume.

Post #7 at https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/volume-contraction-water-methanol-mixture.522195/ makes an interesting point about the molecular interactions.

Likes erobz
gmax137 said:
that's what I was thinking :wink:
This is a question from an exam or exercise. When you answer questions in an exam or exercise you use the information in the question. There is no information in the question about any reduction in volume, so the answer does not require this to be taken into account.

• Skeptical
Likes gmax137 and Lnewqban
pbuk said:
This is a question from an exam or exercise. When you answer questions in an exam or exercise you use the information in the question. There is no information in the question about any reduction in volume, so the answer does not require this to be taken into account.
I think it is a bad question, and the OP should be commended for pointing out the problem with it.

EDIT:
Because this is a common classroom demonstration:
Robert Jansen said:

Laura Ingalls Wilder in "Farmer Boy" recalls that it is possible to add a cup of popcorn to a full cup of milk without having the milk overflow.

Apparently, this feat is reproducible.

In my opinion it's an interesting fact that the problem setter did not consider (nor did I). I also don't think the OP was aware of it i.e. it was not the crux of their issue. IMO The crux of their issue was not recognizing the independence of conservation of mass and conservation of volume. If it were another liquid besides alcohol, what is the likelihood we would be discussing that aspect...

With the extra knowledge of potential volume contraction, it wasn't the best choice for liquids to be mixed. However, without that extra knowledge the intent seemed clear (to me). When I said "that could throw a wrench into the problem statement" I was thinking in the sense of an increased level analysis.

In other words,... if it were on an intro fluids exam and some student knew of this effect, I would expect them to either completely ignore it, or alert the professor for clarification. Probably causing the prof to furrow their brow and the other students to shake their head in disbelief!

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
I don't think continuity of volumetric flow should be taught, since eventually it will have to be unlearned (systems with varying temperature and / or pressure). Just my opinion.

Q: What is the difference between conservation of mass flow rate and conservation of flow rate?

The conservation of mass flow rate refers to the principle that the mass of a substance entering a system must be equal to the mass leaving the system, taking into account any changes in density or velocity. On the other hand, the conservation of flow rate refers to the principle that the volume of a substance entering a system must be equal to the volume leaving the system, regardless of any changes in density or velocity.

Q: How are the conservation of mass flow rate and conservation of flow rate related?

The conservation of mass flow rate and conservation of flow rate are closely related principles. In fact, the conservation of mass flow rate can be derived from the conservation of flow rate by taking into account the density and velocity of the substance in question.

Q: Can the conservation of mass flow rate and conservation of flow rate be violated?

In theory, the conservation of mass flow rate and conservation of flow rate cannot be violated. However, in practical applications, there may be small discrepancies due to measurement errors or other factors. These discrepancies are usually negligible and do not significantly impact the overall principle of conservation.

Q: What are some real-life examples of the conservation of mass flow rate and conservation of flow rate?

Examples of the conservation of mass flow rate include the flow of fluids in a pipe, the flow of air in a ventilation system, and the flow of blood in the circulatory system. Examples of the conservation of flow rate include the flow of water in a river, the flow of electricity in a circuit, and the flow of traffic on a highway.

Q: How do the conservation of mass flow rate and conservation of flow rate impact environmental conservation efforts?

The principles of conservation of mass flow rate and conservation of flow rate are crucial in environmental conservation efforts. By understanding and applying these principles, scientists and engineers can ensure that the flow of substances in natural systems remains balanced and does not cause harm to the environment. For example, in water conservation efforts, it is important to maintain a balance between the amount of water entering and leaving a system to prevent depletion of resources or pollution.