Why can a fluid that satisfies the continuity equation for mass conservation cross streamlines?

• Thread starter tracker890 Source h
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid dynamic
tracker890 Source h
Homework Statement
Confusing in the Conservation of Mass Flow Rate and mass cross streamlines
Relevant Equations
Continuity Equation
1694571347677.png

reference
reference_2
Q: Why can a fluid that satisfies the continuity equation for mass conservation cross streamlines?

Attachments

• 1694564448072.png
    1694564448072.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 1694564587023.png
    1694564587023.png
    29 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mass can cross streamline, thats basically the definition of turbulent flow i.e. flow with heavy cross-stream mixing. It's not clear (to me) what you are taking issue with in this example?

• Informative
Likes berkeman
erobz said:
Mass can cross streamline, thats basically the definition of turbulent flow i.e. flow with heavy cross-stream mixing. It's not clear (to me) what you are taking issue with in this example?
But this case is a steady flow, not a turbulent flow.
So I don't understand why fluid elements in steady flow can cross streamlines.

tracker890 Source h said:
But this case is a steady flow.
So your issue is with what is happening to the flow as it passes around the sphere. Where the streamlines are being squeezed together?

erobz said:
So your issue is with what is happening to the flow as it passes around the sphere. Where the streamlines are being squeezed together?
Why can ##\dot{m}_{AD}## and ##\dot{m}_{BC}## cross streamlines instead of being equal to zero?

I don't think fluid elements are crossing streamlines here. Streamlines are being divided, that not necessarily mass exchange between layers.

Imagine what is happening between streamlines. In steady flow a group of molecules are all together doing the same thing as the others in the streamline. The streamline is a boundary that is saying things inside it are doing the same thing on average. Then, they are presented with an obstruction, something that forces convective acceleration. That group of fluid particles is forced to divide into new groups, or layers such that the mass flowrate of that original grouping is conserved. In reality there is always some small turbulence from the change, but in theory the layer that "was one homogeneous unit" splits into new layers each having their own homogeneous velocity. Past the obstruction, they may settle back into the original formation.

Thats what I think is happening.

erobz said:
I don't think fluid elements are crossing streamlines here. Streamlines are being divided, that not necessarily mass exchange between layers.

Imagine what is happening between streamlines. In steady flow a group of molecules are all together doing the same thing as the others in the streamline. The streamline is a boundary that is saying things inside it are doing the same thing on average. Then, they are presented with an obstruction, something that forces convective acceleration. That group of fluid particles is forced to divide into new groups, or layers such that the mass flowrate of that original grouping is conserved. In reality there is always some small turbulence from the change, but in theory the layer that "was one homogeneous unit" splits into new layers each having their own homogeneous velocity. Past the obstruction, they may settle back into the original formation.

Thats what I think is happening.
If fluid elements do not cross streamlines, then the diagram below would conflict with the principle of mass conservation. Is this an issue with the question or with my understanding?
1694572235984.png

If fluid elements do not cross streamlines, then the diagram below would conflict with the principle of mass conservation. Is this an issue with the question or with my understanding?
View attachment 331872
There are other streamlines in between the two drawn on the diagram.

erobz said:
There are other streamlines in between the two drawn on the diagram.
Is it related to ##\dot{m}_{AD}## and ##\dot{m}_{BC}## not being equal to zero?

Is it related to ##\dot{m}_{AD}## and ##\dot{m}_{BC}## not being equal to zero?
I think the diagram is just saying the total mass flowrate splits around the sphere equally. I think they are just trying to illustrate it with the angled arrows. half goes up around, half goes down around.

erobz said:
I think the diagram is just saying the total mass flowrate splits around the sphere equally. I think they are just trying to illustrate it with the angled arrows. half goes up around, half goes down around.
I hope you can draw a simple diagram to assist in explaining, for better communication and understanding.

I hope you can draw a simple diagram to assist in explaining, for better communication and understanding.
1694573948618.png

Likes tracker890 Source h
erobz said:
Thank you for the excellent and detailed explanation, along with my understanding diagram.
1694574639842.png

Thank you
Your welcome!
for the excellent and detailed explanation, along with my understanding diagram.
I'm not saying our diagrams are entirely accurate, but I think you have understood the idea.

Likes tracker890 Source h
Why can ##\dot{m}_{AD}## and ##\dot{m}_{BC}## cross streamlines instead of being equal to zero?
The obstruction in the flow forces some of the mass to spill out of the perfectly cylinder shape that has been represented.
While it recovers back to the initial state, the flow downstream the ball slowdowns.

That slowing moving mass becomes an additional physical obstacle, around which the surrounding fluid tries to move.
Pushing the layers away from the obstacle is the easiest way, but those (also moving) layers have inertia and resist that push (perpendicular to the flow).

Then, most of our molecules (that could not spill out into the outer layers), caught in between obstacle and outer layers, must increase velocity to keep mass flow balance (upstream-downstream).

In your diagram,

Flow mass AB cross section = Flow mass AD-BC cylinder wall + Flow mass CD cross section

Note the conical constant volume (cv) streamline shape represented in figure P3.44 in one of your reference links.

The closer to the obstruction the limits of the control volume are established, the more mass will cross it out in a transversal way (just to eventually cross back to the fill the void and return to be calmed still air).

Likes erobz and tracker890 Source h

1. Why is mass conservation important in fluid dynamics?

Mass conservation is important in fluid dynamics because it ensures that the total amount of mass in a closed system remains constant. This is a fundamental principle in physics and is necessary for accurately predicting the behavior of fluids.

2. What is the continuity equation for mass conservation?

The continuity equation for mass conservation states that the rate of change of mass in a fluid is equal to the negative of the divergence of the fluid's velocity field. In simpler terms, this means that the amount of mass entering a given region must be equal to the amount of mass leaving that region.

3. How does a fluid that satisfies the continuity equation for mass conservation cross streamlines?

A fluid that satisfies the continuity equation for mass conservation can cross streamlines because it is a continuous medium. This means that the fluid can flow and deform without any breaks or gaps, allowing it to move from one streamline to another.

4. What happens if a fluid does not satisfy the continuity equation for mass conservation?

If a fluid does not satisfy the continuity equation for mass conservation, it means that mass is either being created or destroyed within the system. This violates the principle of mass conservation and can lead to inaccurate predictions of fluid behavior.

5. Can a fluid that satisfies the continuity equation for mass conservation have areas of different densities?

Yes, a fluid that satisfies the continuity equation for mass conservation can have areas of different densities. This is because density is not a conserved quantity in fluid dynamics, unlike mass. As long as the total mass remains constant, the density can vary within the fluid.