Q: How to compute P(X=200 and Y<150)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the probability that the number 6 will appear between 150 and 200 times (inclusive) in 1000 independent rolls of a fair die. The first part is approximated using a binomial(1000,1/6) distribution, which can be approximated to a normal distribution due to the large number of trials. The second part involves finding the probability that the number 5 will appear less than 150 times, given that the number 6 appears exactly 200 times. This is solved by considering a trinomial distribution with three outcomes per trial. The conversation also touches on using continuity corrections when approximating discrete distributions with continuous ones.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

1000 independent rolls of a fair die will be made. Compute an approximation to the probability that the number 6 will appear between 150 and 200 times inclusively. If the number 6 appears exactly 200 times, find the probability that the number 5 will appear less than 150 times.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the first part correct. For the second part, I said: If X is the number of times a 6 appears and Y is the number of times a 5 appears, then we want P(Y<150|X=200). I simplified this to P(X=200 and Y<150)/(P(X=200), from which I could compute P(X=200). Since X and Y are not independent, I can't split the intersection up. I thought about rearranging the numerator into something involving a conditional probability
(i.e like P(X=200 and Y<150) = P(X=200|Y<150)P(Y<150)) but I don't see how this helps.) I also noticed that this intersection looked like a joint RV, but I don't have the density function to do the necessary integration.
Any advice on how to compute P(X=200 and Y<150)?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the number 6 appears 200 times, what would you say about the way in which the outcomes of the remaining 800 rolls are distributed?

CAF123 said:

Homework Statement

1000 independent rolls of a fair die will be made. Compute an approximation to the probability that the number 6 will appear between 150 and 200 times inclusively. If the number 6 appears exactly 200 times, find the probability that the number 5 will appear less than 150 times.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the first part correct. For the second part, I said: If X is the number of times a 6 appears and Y is the number of times a 5 appears, then we want P(Y<150|X=200). I simplified this to P(X=200 and Y<150)/(P(X=200), from which I could compute P(X=200). Since X and Y are not independent, I can't split the intersection up. I thought about rearranging the numerator into something involving a conditional probability
(i.e like P(X=200 and Y<150) = P(X=200|Y<150)P(Y<150)) but I don't see how this helps.) I also noticed that this intersection looked like a joint RV, but I don't have the density function to do the necessary integration.
Any advice on how to compute P(X=200 and Y<150)?

There are no densities and integrations involved here---only discrete probability mass functions, and summations (although later you can make a continuous approximation and THEN get a density).

Besides the suggestion that Yuu Suzumi has made, you can also look at this as involving a trinomial distribution with three outcomes per trial: 5, 6 or 'other'. In N independent trials, what is the probability that you get k5 5s, k6 6s and N-k5-k6 'others'?

RGV

@Yuu I know that we have n independent Bernoulli trials => we have a binomial(800,1/6). Is this what you mean? How does this help? I recognised that in part a) of the question we had binomial(1000,1/6) which since n is large, approximates to a normal RV.
@RGV I haven't come across the trinomial distribution. This problem comes from a chapter following content on the uniform, normal, exponential distributions.

Be careful! When the six is removed, how many numbers share the 800 trials?

Ok, so I should have binomial(800,1/5). I see how the condition on there being 200 sixes comes into play now. I would be able to compute the probability if there was exactly 150 fives. How to do it for less than 150 fives? I know P( x < 5), say is P(0) + P(1) + P(2)..+ P(4), but this is not efficient for larger numbers.

CAF123 said:
Ok, so I should have binomial(800,1/5). I see how the condition on there being 200 sixes comes into play now. I would be able to compute the probability if there was exactly 150 fives. How to do it for less than 150 fives? I know P( x < 5), say is P(0) + P(1) + P(2)..+ P(4), but this is not efficient for larger numbers.

Originally, you said you had the first part correct (that is, the probab. of having between 150 and 200 sixes). How did you do that computation? Why can't you do something similar for the second part?

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Originally, you said you had the first part correct (that is, the probab. of having between 150 and 200 sixes). How did you do that computation? Why can't you do something similar for the second part?

RGV
Many thanks. I didn't think they wanted an approximation for the second part, but this gives me the correct answer. One question: to get the correct answer, I had to do P(x<149.5) rather than P(x<150.5). I understand we add some small number on to allow a continuity correction, but why do we take the 1/2 away rather than add it on (in this case)? In general, can we add any small increment on?

CAF123 said:
Many thanks. I didn't think they wanted an approximation for the second part, but this gives me the correct answer. One question: to get the correct answer, I had to do P(x<149.5) rather than P(x<150.5). I understand we add some small number on to allow a continuity correction, but why do we take the 1/2 away rather than add it on (in this case)? In general, can we add any small increment on?

Because for a discrete random variable taking the values {0,1,2,...,800}, the event {X < 150} is the same as {X <= 149}, which you change to {X <= 149.5} in the continuous approximation. If you put had {X <= 150.5} you would have been be looking at {X <= 150}, not {X <= 149}.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Because for a discrete random variable taking the values {0,1,2,...,800}, the event {X < 150} is the same as {X <= 149}, which you change to {X <= 149.5} in the continuous approximation. If you put had {X <= 150.5} you would have been be looking at {X <= 150}, not {X <= 149}.

RGV
ok, thanks. Does it have to be a half that we add on(or is this just a convenience)?

CAF123 said:
ok, thanks. Does it have to be a half that we add on(or is this just a convenience)?

No, there is a good reason. Say we have p(k) for k = 1,2,3,... and we are approximating this by a continuous probability density f(x). We have
[tex] p(1) \approx \int_{1/2}^{3/2} f(x) \, dx,\\
p(2) \approx \int_{3/2}^{5/2} f (x) \, dx, \\
\vdots \\
p(k) \approx \int_{k - 1/2}^{k + 1/2} f(x) \, dx,[/tex]
so
[tex] p(a) + \cdots + p(b) \approx \int_{a-1/2}^{b+1/2} f(x) \, dx .[/tex]

In words, p(k) equals the area of a rectangle of height p(k) and with 1, which is almost the same as the area under the f(x) curve for x from k-1/2 to k+1/2. A sum of the probabilities equals the sum of the areas.

RGV

Related to Q: How to compute P(X=200 and Y<150)?

1. What is a normal random variable?

A normal random variable is a continuous probability distribution that is symmetric and bell-shaped. It is often used to model real-world phenomena such as height, weight, and IQ scores.

2. How is a normal random variable different from other types of random variables?

A normal random variable is different from other types of random variables because it follows a specific probability distribution, known as the normal distribution. Other types of random variables may follow different distributions, such as the binomial or Poisson distribution.

3. What are the characteristics of a normal random variable?

A normal random variable has the following characteristics:

• It is symmetric and bell-shaped.
  • It is characterized by two parameters: mean and standard deviation.
  • It has a mean, median, and mode that are all equal.
  • The area under the curve is equal to 1.
  • About 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations.

4. How is a normal random variable used in scientific studies?

A normal random variable is commonly used in scientific studies to model and analyze continuous data, such as biological measurements or test scores. It is also used in statistical hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations.

5. Can a normal random variable have negative values?

Yes, a normal random variable can have negative values. The normal distribution extends from negative infinity to positive infinity, so the variable can take on any real value within that range. However, the probability of observing a negative value is usually very small if the mean is positive and the standard deviation is not too large.