Q regarding fixing old busted water line w/ no water in it for 2 yrs

• Thread starter deltapapazulu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Water
In summary, a water line has been busted for 2 years and there has been no water in line. The plumber is coming tomorrow to fix it and it is unknown if replacing the whole plumbing system is necessary. Depending on the material of the water line, it may be necessary to replace it.
deltapapazulu
Water line on a certain property has been busted for 2 years and no water in line. I am calling plumber tomorrow to get fixed and am just curious before I do that if fact that there has been no water in line would pose any particular issue to plumber just coming out and fixing that one spot where it busted. Will I maybe need to replace whole plumbing due to it not having water running in it.

Other bit of info is that it is an old metal line.

Physics news on Phys.org
It probably wasn't completely dry, and was definitely filled with air. That could mean much faster corrosion.

Likes hutchphd, BillTre, russ_watters and 1 other person
Borek said:
It probably wasn't completely dry, and was definitely filled with air. That could mean much faster corrosion.
Yeah that is what I was thinking :frown:
Thanks for reply!!

It will depend on the material. Some metal lines were copper.
Is it cast iron sections with bitumen lining, or is it galvanised iron.
If it fell into disuse because it was rusted in places, then it will all need to be replaced, probably with a plastic line that will not corrode in the local soil.
What is the length and diameter of the line?

Does anybody know the reason for which the pipe busted?
Could be possible for the remaining pipe to fail again soon for similar cause?

deltapapazulu said:
Water line on a certain property has been busted for 2 years and no water in line. I am calling plumber tomorrow to get fixed and am just curious before I do that if fact that there has been no water in line would pose any particular issue to plumber just coming out and fixing that one spot where it busted. Will I maybe need to replace whole plumbing due to it not having water running in it.

Other bit of info is that it is an old metal line.
I don't know if my reply is in time for you to ask the plumber before they come out, but many plumbers now have the ability to "run a camera" through pipes to look for breaks and other issues. You could ask them if they can run a camera, and how much it will cost. It could save you money in the long run, if it shows that the rest of the pipe looks okay.

https://www.rotorooter.com/plumbing/video-camera-line-inspection/

https://match.angi.com/sem/task.Dra...6cC1baRGQ4DADaSJqIKhhoCVLYQAvD_BwE&sequence=0

Likes dlgoff and Lnewqban
deltapapazulu said:
it is an old metal line.
Just a remark: it is often a requirement to replace subpar/old equipment without any questions or permission asked (might be also a requirement to refuse simple patching).

Also, sometimes that's the cheapest and fastest solution.

I suggest you get entire line inspected. If good, okay.
If bad, better to resolve now rather than have hidden / future leak(s). Those may cause anything from wasted water (metered ?) via sewage ingress during storms to sink-hole formation...

If the offending line is not underground, why not just get the whole thing replaced? Or at least as much as feasible.

Unless you'd rather wait until it busts again, at the most inconvenient time (like when you're away on vacation during a cold snap).

Likes deltapapazulu
DaveC426913 said:
If the offending line is not underground, why not just get the whole thing replaced? Or at least as much as feasible.

Unless you'd rather wait until it busts again, at the most inconvenient time (like when you're away on vacation during a cold snap).
Full replacement is actually currently in the works. Local service coming out to look at it tomorrow. What is standard medium grade material for newly installed water line running from meter to house?

Should be able to get a quote tomorrow. I live in southern state where things not as expensive and distance from meter to house is about 25 yards. Wonder about what this is going to cost me.

[belated note to others who have replied: sorry for returning late to this. thank you for the good replies!]

deltapapazulu said:
distance from meter to house is about 25 yards. Wonder about what this is going to cost me.
By my experience, it'll mainly depend on the hourly rates of the bobcat doing the digging and the expert doing the plumbing.
Likely the price of the pipe will be just small part :frown:

I had one done about a decade ago. Four feet down here in Indianapolis and they horizontal drilled it: no muss no fuss and cost $2200 for 45 ft line and meter relocation. If you dig a trench think about laying a backup pipe in the trench (plastic pipe is really cheap).

Likes deltapapazulu
I forgot to mention an alternate. (Though it sounds like it's too late.)

When we first moved into our house, construction was working on our street. The crew showed us a leak in the mains running from the street. They offered to fix it on-the-spot by attaching a metal mesh grippy thing to the copper line and used a backhoe to brute strength the old line out length-wise and pull the new line through. They charged us 700 bucks and it has been leak-free for 25 years.

• Informative
Likes BillTre and deltapapazulu
I have never heard of this "wire mesh" idea for pulling pipe - is this material similar to woven wire cloth like this: Woven Wire Cloth which is made of metal (usually stainless steel) or is this plastic or nylon material? The strength must be unbelievable!

Likes BillTre
florida23 said:
I have never heard of this "wire mesh" idea for pulling pipe - is this material similar to woven wire cloth like this: Woven Wire Cloth which is made of metal (usually stainless steel) or is this plastic or nylon material? The strength must be unbelievable!
Wire mesh pipe pullers also known as Towing Socks, Chinese Fingers or Pulling Grips
1701200066616.png

And yes, I was pretty impressed myself.

Likes florida23
Incredible. Thank you for the information - now down the youtube rabbit hole!!!

Likes berkeman

1. Is it safe to reuse an old water line that has been dry for two years?

Generally, it is safe to reuse an old water line that has been dry, but it is crucial to first inspect the line for any signs of deterioration such as cracks, corrosion, or buildup of sediments. If the pipes are made of materials prone to degradation (like some types of metal or plastic), they may need to be replaced rather than repaired.

2. What should I check before reactivating an old water line?

Before reactivating an old water line, you should check for physical damage, such as cracks or leaks. It's important to assess the integrity of the pipe material and look for any blockages or bacterial growth. Flushing the system thoroughly to clear out any debris and disinfecting the pipes to remove bacteria or mold is also recommended.

3. How do I disinfect an old water line before using it again?

To disinfect an old water line, flush the system with clean water first to remove any debris. After flushing, use a chlorine bleach solution to kill any remaining bacteria and fungi. Let the chlorinated water sit in the pipes for several hours, then flush the system again with clean water until the chlorine smell dissipates.

4. Can old water lines affect water quality?

Yes, old water lines can affect water quality, especially if the pipes are corroded or there is a buildup of sediments and biofilm. These can leach into the water, causing discoloration, unpleasant tastes, or odors. They can also harbor bacteria, leading to potential health risks. Testing the water quality before use is advisable.

5. What are the risks of not properly fixing an old water line?

Not properly fixing an old water line can lead to several risks including water leaks, which may cause structural damage to your property over time. There is also the risk of water contamination, which can pose health hazards. Inefficient water flow and increased water bills are other potential issues if leaks are not addressed.