QED, Electron-Proton Scattering: Rosenbluth cross-section

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem in Mandl & Shaw's book "Quantum Field Theory" involving deriving the Rosenbluth cross section for electron-proton scattering. The speaker is struggling with the problem and is asking for help, either in the form of a step-by-step solution or a recommendation for a book that explains the process. They also mention that they are using a translator and apologize for any language errors. The other person responds by asking for the speaker to show their work and where they are stuck.
lapantufla
Homework Statement
In problem 8.3 of Mandl & Shaw's book "Quantum Field Theory" I have to derive the Rosenbluth cross section for the electron-proton scattering that I post on the image. I tried but I can't get to the result because the accounts are too complicated for me. Does anyone know a solution or book where they do the accounts step by step? Or perhaps someone has done this account and can post the solution?
Relevant Equations
Rosenbluth Cross-Section, Electron-Muon Feynmann amplitude. Quoted in the images
Hello, this problem is causing headaches, it would be very helpful if you could tell me if you know of a book where you can solve it. Maybe my English is lousy because I use a translator. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Electron Muon Amplitude.png
    Electron Muon Amplitude.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 208
  • Problem 8.3.png
    Problem 8.3.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 172
  • Rosenbluth cross-section.png
    Rosenbluth cross-section.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org
lapantufla said:
Homework Statement:: In problem 8.3 of Mandl & Shaw's book "Quantum Field Theory" I have to derive the Rosenbluth cross section for the electron-proton scattering that I post on the image. I tried but I can't get to the result because the accounts are too complicated for me. Does anyone know a solution or book where they do the accounts step by step? Or perhaps someone has done this account and can post the solution?
Relevant Equations:: Rosenbluth Cross-Section, Electron-Muon Feynman amplitude. Quoted in the images

Hello, this problem is causing headaches, it would be very helpful if you could tell me if you know of a book where you can solve it. Maybe my English is lousy because I use a translator. Thank you very much.
You have to show some work first. Show your first steps and where you are stuck.

1. What is QED in relation to electron-proton scattering?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a theory that describes the interactions between electrons and photons (particles of light). In the context of electron-proton scattering, QED is used to calculate the probability of an electron scattering off a proton due to the exchange of photons.

2. What is the Rosenbluth cross-section?

The Rosenbluth cross-section is a mathematical quantity that describes the probability of an electron scattering off a proton at a certain angle and energy. It is named after the physicist Martin Rosenbluth, who first derived this formula in 1950.

3. How is the Rosenbluth cross-section calculated?

The Rosenbluth cross-section is calculated using the QED theory, which takes into account the electromagnetic interactions between the electron and proton. It involves solving complex equations and requires advanced mathematical techniques.

4. What is the significance of the Rosenbluth cross-section in particle physics?

The Rosenbluth cross-section is an important quantity in understanding the structure of protons. It provides valuable information about the distribution of electric charge and magnetism within the proton, which helps us to better understand the fundamental building blocks of matter.

5. How is the Rosenbluth cross-section experimentally measured?

The Rosenbluth cross-section can be experimentally measured by colliding a beam of electrons with a target of protons and measuring the number of scattered electrons at different angles and energies. By comparing these measurements with the theoretical predictions, the value of the Rosenbluth cross-section can be determined.