Rutherford Scattering: Finding Cross Section & Solid Angle

In summary: The solid angle is the area of the detector's entrance hole, divided by the square of the distance to the detector.In summary, the conversation discusses Rutherford scattering and finding the cross section and solid angle. A past question is presented, where a beam of 6MeV alpha particles is incident on a platinum foil and a detector is positioned at a certain distance to collect scattered particles. The distance of closest approach is determined using the equation D= zZ e^2 /4 pi ε0 × KE. The use of cross section and impact parameter is also discussed. The solid angle of the detector is mentioned as being a purely geometric concept and not related to the impacting beam. The conversation ends with a request for help with parts b and
lippyka
Hi I am revising for an exam and am a bit confused with Rutherford Scattering
- Finding the cross section (is the cross section different to the differential cross section?)
- Finding the solid angle.

So here is a past question: A beam of 6MeV alpha particles is incident on a platinum foil. A detector of entrance area 2cm^2 is positioned 30cm from the foil to collect alpha particles that have been scattered through 50°.

a) determine the distance of closest approach considering the conservation of KE to electric PE.

This i think i need to use the equation : D= zZ e^2 /4 pi ε0 × KE

b) Determine the solid angle of the detector

Here i am not sure whether i can use cross section = pi × b^2 , where b= impact parameter

c) determine the cross section for alpha particles to scatter into the detector.could somebody please help me with part b and c, and let me know whether I am correct with part a.
Many thanks in advance :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread to our homework section.

"The cross section" typically means the total cross section, which is the integral of the differential cross section over the whole solid angle (or whatever variable the "differential" has).

lippyka said:
This i think i need to use the equation : D= zZ e^2 /4 pi ε0 × KE
Apart from missing brackets, that is the closest possible distance the particles can have, but I think the question asks about the closest approach for the given scattering angle, which is different.
lippyka said:
Here i am not sure whether i can use cross section = pi × b^2 , where b= impact parameter
The solid angle of the detector is a purely geometric thing, it has nothing to do with the impacting beam.

1. What is Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering is a phenomenon in which fast-moving charged particles (usually alpha particles) are scattered by the positively charged nucleus of an atom. This experiment was conducted by Ernest Rutherford in 1911 and provided evidence for the existence of a nucleus within an atom.

2. How is the cross section calculated in Rutherford Scattering?

The cross section in Rutherford Scattering is calculated using the formula: σ = (zZe^2)/(4πε_0Esin^4(θ/2)), where z and Z are the charges of the incident and target particles, respectively, e is the elementary charge, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, E is the kinetic energy of the incident particle, and θ is the scattering angle.

3. What is the significance of finding the solid angle in Rutherford Scattering?

The solid angle in Rutherford Scattering is important because it helps to determine the distribution of scattered particles in space. It is defined as the ratio of the area of a cone on the surface of a sphere to the square of the radius of the sphere. This information is crucial in understanding the nature of the interaction between the incident particle and the target nucleus.

4. How does the energy of the incident particle affect the cross section in Rutherford Scattering?

The energy of the incident particle has a direct impact on the cross section in Rutherford Scattering. As the energy increases, the cross section decreases. This is because at higher energies, the repulsive Coulomb force between the incident particle and the nucleus is weaker, resulting in a smaller scattering angle and a smaller cross section.

5. What are some real-world applications of Rutherford Scattering?

Rutherford Scattering has many practical applications, including in studying the structure of atomic nuclei, determining the composition of materials, and analyzing the properties of thin films. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET) and in particle accelerators for nuclear research.