Finite well scattering in the Born approximation

In summary, according to the homework equations, the cross sectional area for low energy scattering off of a finite well of depth V0 and width a is zero. The optical theorem states that the scattered field is just as large as the incoming field, so the assumption that the scatterer is small compared to the incident field does not apply.
THEODORE D SAUYET
I'm preparing for an exam and I expect this or a similar question to be on it, but I'm running into problems with using the Born approximation and optical theorem for scattering off of a finite well.

1. Homework Statement

Calculate the cross sectional area σ for low energy scattering off of a finite well of depth V0 and width a.

Homework Equations

Definition of f using the T-matrix:
[tex]f(k,k') = (\frac{2m}{\hbar^2})(\frac{-1}{4\pi})(2\pi)^3<k'|T|k>[/tex]

Where the <k'| and |k> refer to incoming plane waves, I believe.

Optical theorem:
[tex]\sigma_{tot} = \frac{4\pi}{k}\textrm{Im}(f(k,k))[/tex]

And in the Born approximation T ##\approx## V

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
To me, the matrix element ##<k|V|k>## should just be V0a, because

[tex]\int_0^ae^{-ikx}V_0e^{ikx} = V_0a[/tex]

Where the bounds are from 0 to a because the potential is zero outside of the range 0 to a. But then when you plug this into the optical theorem there is no imaginary component, so you get that the total cross section is zero.

Am I missing something about how to properly use the Born approximation/optical theorem? Is this what we expect? Am I doing something wrong in the math? I'm pretty skeptical of how I treated the <k'| and |k>, but it seems fairly consistent, because <k|##V_0##|k> would just be ##V_0##, since the k's are orthonormal.

Any help/insights would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
So, according to the Wikipedia article on the Born approximation, "It is accurate if the scattered field is small compared to the incident field on the scatterer." Perhaps this assumption does not apply for arbitrary ##V_0##? It's not immediately obvious to me why this would be the case though.

Although, if we take ##V_0 \rightarrow +\infty##, then the scattered field would be just as large as the incoming field and this assumption would fail (completely and utterly)? This makes sense, but I don't see where we could assume ##V_0## small and change the above math. Perhaps you simply cannot.

1. What is finite well scattering in the Born approximation?

Finite well scattering in the Born approximation is a theoretical model used to describe the scattering of particles by a finite potential well. This model assumes that the potential well is small compared to the wavelength of the particle and that the scattering process can be treated as a series of single collisions between the particle and the potential well.

2. How does the Born approximation differ from other scattering models?

The Born approximation is a simpler and more approximate model compared to other more complex scattering models. It assumes that the potential well is small and the scattering process can be treated as a series of single collisions, while other models may take into account multiple interactions and the full wave nature of the particles.

3. What is the significance of the finite well in this model?

The finite well in this model represents a localized potential that can scatter particles passing through it. It is often used to model the interaction between particles and a solid structure, such as an atomic nucleus or a crystal lattice.

4. What are the limitations of the Born approximation for finite well scattering?

The Born approximation is limited by its assumptions, such as the smallness of the potential well and the neglect of higher order interactions. It also does not take into account the full wave nature of the particles, which can be significant in certain scattering scenarios.

5. How is the Born approximation used in practical applications?

The Born approximation is commonly used in theoretical calculations and simulations to estimate the scattering behavior of particles in various systems. It is also used as a starting point for more complex scattering models and can provide useful insights into the behavior of particles in potential wells.