QED: Vertex renormalisation; Please have Peskin and Schroeder book handy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dimensional regularization in QFT calculations and the challenges that arise when trying to understand the 3-point function. The expert explains the reason for using dimensional regularization instead of Pauli-Villars, and how the epsilon terms and the (1-z)^2 term in equation 10.45 come from this method. The expert also offers to answer any further questions and wishes the individual good luck with their studies.
theoryiscool
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding a point in the QFT book of peskin and schroeder. Iv been working through renormalisation in QED, The 2-point corrections are simple enough, however in this book the 3-point function is a little more involved and I have some issues. Essentially id to produce the result of page 334, equation 10.45. I am happily standing at page 192, equation 6.47. Now however; I don't want to regularize with Pauli-Villas, but use the dimensional regularization. The parts that i really don't get are buts of page 334 equation that have epsilonxy, for example, i don't reallly understand where this is coming from. I know that anything with an index can be altered to involve informatino about dimension, but i don't see this part... equivalently I don't see why we need the -epsilon(1-z)^2 part...same sort of issue crops in equation 10.41 page 333; where 4--> 4-epsilon, In desperation i reason this via 4 being a the original dimension; then making this expansion, but its unsettling and probably wrong reasoning, can any please eludicate what going on here?

Cheers!

p.s. real sorry for the lack of latex use, last time I used this program seriously was long ago, Iv forgotten how it works, and tried to use it to no avail...sorry:(

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up your question regarding the QFT book of Peskin and Schroeder. I understand that the 3-point function and dimensional regularization can be a bit challenging to grasp at first. Let me try to explain the parts you are having trouble with.

Firstly, the reason we use dimensional regularization instead of Pauli-Villars is because it is a more elegant and powerful method of regularization. It allows us to perform calculations in a higher dimensional space (usually d = 4-epsilon) and then take the limit as epsilon approaches 0. This allows us to avoid the divergences that arise in QFT calculations.

Regarding the epsilonxy terms, they come from the dimensional regularization process. In dimensional regularization, we introduce a new parameter epsilon, which represents the deviation from the original dimension (in this case, d = 4). This is why you see terms like 4-epsilon or epsilonxy in the equations. These terms are necessary to account for the deviation from the original dimension.

As for the -epsilon(1-z)^2 term in equation 10.45, this comes from the integration over the Feynman parameter z. When we use dimensional regularization, the integration over z can be extended to infinity, which introduces the epsilon term. The (1-z)^2 term comes from the Feynman parameterization of the propagator.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

Related to QED: Vertex renormalisation; Please have Peskin and Schroeder book handy

1. What is QED?

QED stands for Quantum Electrodynamics, which is a theory in physics that describes the interactions between charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

2. What is vertex renormalisation in QED?

Vertex renormalisation is a mathematical technique used in QED to account for the effects of quantum fluctuations on the interactions between charged particles. It involves adjusting the parameters of the theory to account for these fluctuations and ensure that physical predictions are accurate.

3. How is vertex renormalisation performed?

Vertex renormalisation is performed by using a mathematical process called perturbation theory, which involves breaking down a complex problem into simpler parts that can be solved individually. In QED, this involves calculating Feynman diagrams to determine the corrections needed to the parameters of the theory.

4. Why is vertex renormalisation important in QED?

Vertex renormalisation is important in QED because it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of charged particles and electromagnetic fields. Without taking quantum fluctuations into account, the theory would not be able to accurately describe real-world phenomena.

5. What is the role of the Peskin and Schroeder book in understanding vertex renormalisation in QED?

The Peskin and Schroeder book is a well-known textbook on quantum field theory, which includes a detailed explanation of vertex renormalisation in QED. It is a valuable resource for scientists studying this topic and provides a comprehensive understanding of the mathematical techniques involved.