QM Angular Momentum Commutation Question

In summary, the homework statement is that the commutator of the raising and lowering operators is zero.
jazznaz

Homework Statement

Consider a state [tex] | l, m \rangle[/tex], an eigenstate of both [tex] \hat{L}^{2}[/tex] and [tex] \hat{L}_{z}[/tex]. Express [tex] \hat{L}_{x}[/tex] in terms of the commutator of [tex] \hat{L}_{y}[/tex] and [tex] \hat{L}_{z}[/tex], and use the result to demonstrate that [tex] \langle \hat{L}_{x} \rangle [/tex] is zero.

Homework Equations

[tex] [ \hat{L}_{y}, \hat{L}_{z} ] = i\hbar \hat{L}_{x} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sure this is pointing towards telling me that the commutator above is zero, but we know that of [tex] \hat{L}_{y}[/tex] and [tex] \hat{L}_{z}[/tex] aren't compatible operators.

I've tried,

[tex] \langle \hat{L}_{x} \rangle = - \frac{i}{\hbar} \langle [ \hat{L}_{y}, \hat{L}_{z} ] \rangle = - \frac{i}{\hbar} \langle l,m | \hat{L}_{y}\hat{L}_{z} - \hat{L}_{z}\hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle = - \frac{i}{\hbar} \left( \langle l,m | \hat{L}_{y}\hat{L}_{z}| l, m \rangle - \langle l,m | \hat{L}_{z}\hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle \right) [/tex]

Then,

[tex]\hat{L}_{z}| l, m \rangle = \hbar m | l, m \rangle[/tex]

[tex] \hbar m \hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle = 0[/tex] ***

So it follows that,

[tex] \langle \hat{L}_{x} \rangle = 0[/tex]

I'm not 100% convinced that the step labelled (***) is correct...

This is only for one mark out of ten, so I'm sure I'm missing something fairly obvious. Any pointers at all would be fantastic - thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You aren't being asked to show that the commutator is zero (which is good...since it isn't zero!), you are being asked to use the fact that [itex]\hat{L}_x=\frac{1}{i\hbar}[\hat{L}_y,\hat{L}_z][/itex] to show that the expectation value of [itex]L_x[/itex] in the state [itex]|l,m\rangle[/itex] is zero...just use the definition of expectation value...

Ok, I edited my original post with a little extra working out and hit on a step that I wasn't too sure on...

jazznaz said:
[tex] \hbar m \hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle = 0[/tex] ***

I'm not 100% convinced that the step labelled (***) is correct...

I'm not even 0.0001% convinced this step is correct...why would you think that it is?

Haha, I must be getting confused between a few different properties concerning the angular momentum operators. I'll have another read on the subject and come back to this I think. Bit disheartening, especially since I'm sure it's very simple!

You might consider expressing [itex]L_y[/itex] in terms of the raising and lowering operators [itex]L_{\pm}[/itex]:wink:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... The question looked like it was worded such that they wanted me to find a solution just directly using the commutation relation. I guess I'll have a word with my lecturer tomorrow morning and clear that up. Thanks very much for your time!

Yes, it is worded that way, but I don't see any way of showing the intended result without using the raising and lowering operators at some point.

Ok, I've had a play around and I think I've got to the result we were intended to find...

[tex]
\langle \hat{L}_{x} \rangle = - \frac{i}{\hbar} \langle [ \hat{L}_{y}, \hat{L}_{z} ] \rangle = - \frac{i}{\hbar} \langle l,m | \hat{L}_{y}\hat{L}_{z} - \hat{L}_{z}\hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle = - \frac{i}{\hbar} \left( \langle l,m | \hat{L}_{y}\hat{L}_{z}| l, m \rangle - \langle l,m | \hat{L}_{z}\hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle \right)
[/tex]

Then, since [tex]\hat{L}_{z}[/tex] is Hermitian,

[tex]\langle l,m | \hat{L}_{z}\hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle = \langle \hat{L}_{z} l,m | \hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle = \hbar m \langle l,m |\hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle[/tex]

And we find that the quantity in the bracket becomes zero when the first term is calculated,

[tex]- \frac{i}{\hbar} \left( \langle l,m | \hat{L}_{y}\hat{L}_{z}| l, m \rangle - \hbar m \langle l,m |\hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle \right) = - \frac{i}{\hbar} \left(\hbar m \langle l,m | \hat{L}_{y}| l, m \rangle - \hbar m \langle l,m |\hat{L}_{y} | l, m \rangle \right) = 0[/tex]

As required.

Related to QM Angular Momentum Commutation Question

1. How do you define angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is defined as the measure of the amount of rotation a particle possesses around a particular axis. It is an intrinsic property of particles and is quantized, meaning it can only take discrete values.

2. What is the commutation relation between two angular momentum operators in quantum mechanics?

The commutation relation between two angular momentum operators in quantum mechanics is given by [Lx, Ly] = iħLz, [Ly, Lz] = iħLx, and [Lz, Lx] = iħLy, where Lx, Ly, and Lz are the three components of angular momentum and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

3. How does the commutation relation affect the measurement of angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

The commutation relation between angular momentum operators affects the measurement of angular momentum in quantum mechanics by limiting the precision of simultaneous measurements of different components of angular momentum. This is known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. What is the physical significance of angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

The physical significance of angular momentum in quantum mechanics is that it is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant throughout a particle's motion. Angular momentum also plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and properties of atoms and molecules.

5. How is angular momentum represented mathematically in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is represented by operators that act on the wave function of a particle. These operators are represented by matrices and their eigenvalues correspond to the possible values of angular momentum that can be measured for a particular system.