Quadratic and linear drag problem

In summary: The ratio f/mg appears in that equation. The hint suggests that you express this ratio in terms of v/vter, and then use the equations given in the homework to simplify the expression.In summary, the statement suggests that if a projectile's speed is much less than its terminal speed, the effects of air resistance will be small. This is more useful in the case of quadratic drag compared to linear drag, as the ratio of drag to weight can be expressed in terms of the ratio of the projectile's speed to its terminal speed. Using the given equations, this expression can be simplified and used to better understand the effects of air resistance on a projectile's flight. The hint provided suggests expressing the ratio f/mg in terms of v/vter
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

Consider the following statement: If at all times during a projectile's flight its speed is much
less than the terminal speed, the effects of air resistance are usually very small. (a) Without reference
to the explicit equations for the magnitude of v t„, explain clearly why this is so. (b) By examining the
explicit formulas (2.26) and (2.53) explain why the statement above is even more useful for the case
of quadratic drag than for the linear case. [Hint: Express the ratio f/mg of the drag to the weight in
terms of the ratio v /vter.]

Homework Equations

(2.26)
vter = mg/b

(2.53)
vter = sqrt(mg/c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a no problem, but I'm having issues with b. I am assuming when they use "f/mg," since there are no parenthesis around "mg" that g is in the numerator, not the denominator. However, I am not sure what the statement in the hint means. I'm not sure if it is telling me to set things equal to each other (reduce, shift things around, etc.) or if it's telling me to plug values into the other equation. if it were just "vter" in the second value in the hint, then I would assume I plus that in for the force on the first ratio. However, with the information given, I'm at a loss as to what the hint is even suggesting I do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ascendant78 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the following statement: If at all times during a projectile's flight its speed is much
less than the terminal speed, the effects of air resistance are usually very small. (a) Without reference
to the explicit equations for the magnitude of v t„, explain clearly why this is so. (b) By examining the
explicit formulas (2.26) and (2.53) explain why the statement above is even more useful for the case
of quadratic drag than for the linear case. [Hint: Express the ratio f/mg of the drag to the weight in
terms of the ratio v /vter.]

Homework Equations

(2.26)
vter = mg/b

(2.53)
vter = sqrt(mg/c)

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part a no problem, but I'm having issues with b. I am assuming when they use "f/mg," since there are no parenthesis around "mg" that g is in the numerator, not the denominator. However, I am not sure what the statement in the hint means. I'm not sure if it is telling me to set things equal to each other (reduce, shift things around, etc.) or if it's telling me to plug values into the other equation. if it were just "vter" in the second value in the hint, then I would assume I plus that in for the force on the first ratio. However, with the information given, I'm at a loss as to what the hint is even suggesting I do.
From dimensional considerations, they must mean f/(mg).
To use the hint, you need the general equation of motion with drag, not just the terminal velocity equation.

Likes Ascendant78

Related to Quadratic and linear drag problem

What is a quadratic and linear drag problem?

A quadratic and linear drag problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object through a medium with both quadratic and linear drag forces acting on it. Quadratic drag refers to drag force that is proportional to the square of the object's velocity, while linear drag refers to drag force that is proportional to the object's velocity.

What are some examples of quadratic and linear drag in real-world situations?

Some examples of quadratic and linear drag in real-world situations include the motion of a parachute falling through the air, the motion of a rocket launching into space, and the motion of a car driving through air resistance.

How do you solve a quadratic and linear drag problem?

To solve a quadratic and linear drag problem, you will need to use the equations of motion, which take into account the forces acting on the object, as well as its initial position, velocity, and acceleration. You will also need to use the equations for quadratic and linear drag forces, which can be derived from Newton's Second Law.

What is the difference between quadratic and linear drag?

The main difference between quadratic and linear drag is the relationship between the drag force and the object's velocity. In quadratic drag, the drag force increases as the square of the velocity, while in linear drag, the drag force increases linearly with the velocity.

What factors affect the amount of quadratic and linear drag experienced by an object?

The amount of quadratic and linear drag experienced by an object is affected by several factors, including the object's velocity, the density of the medium it is moving through, and the object's cross-sectional area. Additionally, the presence of turbulence or other disturbances in the medium can also affect the amount of drag experienced.