Quadratic Residue and Quadratic Reciprocity Law QRL

Lexaila
Homework Statement
Show that p-6 is a quadratic residue modulo p if p \equiv 1,5,7,11 (mod 24)
Relevant Equations
legendre
(p-6/p)=(-1/p)(2/p)(3/p)

Make a table, so at the head row you have p(mod24), (-1/p), (2/p), QRL+-, (p/3) and finally (p-6/p), with in the head column below p (mod 24): 1,5,7,11

Physics news on Phys.org
How do we make the table to show that p-6 is a quadratic residue modulo p if p \equiv 1,5,7,11 (mod 24)?

I suggest using Euler's criterion to calculate the values of the Legendre symbols. So you get the following structure:

p mod 24:​
1​
5​
7​
11​
(-1/p):​
(2/p):​
(3/p):​

Then multiply the three values. This gives you ##(-6/p).## Why is that equal to ##(p-6/p)##?

E.g., if ##p\equiv 7 \pmod{24}## then ##\dfrac{p-1}{2}\equiv 3\pmod{24}## and ##(-1/p)=(-1)^3=-1.##

Last edited:
Likes Lexaila
fresh_42 said:
I suggest using Euler's criterion to calculate the values of the Legendre symbols. So you get the following structure:

1​
5​
7​
11​
(-1/p):​
(2/p):​
(3/p):​

Then multiply the three values. This gives you ##(-6/p).## Why is that equal to ##(p-6/p)##?

E.g., if ##p\equiv 7 \pmod{24}## then ##\dfrac{p-1}{2}\equiv 3\pmod{24}## and ##(-1/p)=(-1)^3=-1.##
Thank you for your reply!
In our table we must also use QRL+- in between (2/p) and (3/p). I understand how to fill the rest of the table with 1 and -1, but not this QRL+- column and how it determines the final result of (p-6/p).

(-1/p)​
(2/p)​
QRL+-​
(3/p)​
(p-6 / p)
1​
1​
1​
?​
1​
5​
1​
-1​
?​
-1​
7-11?1
11​
-1​
?​
-1​

I didn't quite understand this either since a) Euler's criterion is based on QRL (IIRC), b) we already used it in the equations ##(p-6/p)=(-6/p)## and ##(a/p)\cdot (b/p) = (ab/p).## Maybe they simply meant the resulting product of the other three.

Edit: Or you should actually solve ##p-6=x^2 \pmod{p}## for ##x## in that row.

Likes Lexaila
fresh_42 said:
I didn't quite understand this either since a) Euler's criterion is based on QRL (IIRC), b) we already used it in the equations ##(p-6/p)=(-6/p)## and ##(a/p)\cdot (b/p) = (ab/p).## Maybe they simply meant the resulting product of the other three.

Edit: Or you should actually solve ##p-6=x^2 \pmod{p}## for ##x## in that row.
I'm still a bit confused, could you please give me an example from the table?

Lexaila said:
I'm still a bit confused, could you please give me an example from the table?
E.g. I get for ##p\equiv 5\pmod{24}## with
$$
\left(\dfrac{p-6}{p}\right)\equiv \left(\dfrac{-6}{p}\right)=\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{2}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)
$$
from your table, that ##\left(\dfrac{p-6}{p}\right)=1.## I would simply write a plus in the column QRL (and a minus in cases where the result is ##-1.##

I thought we could determine a value for which ##p-6\equiv x^2\pmod{p}## but I confused ##\pmod{p}## with ##\pmod{24}.## For the example above we would get for ##p=53## that ##p-6=47\equiv 10^2\pmod{53}## and for ##p=101## that ##p-6=95=14^2\pmod{101}.## We have in both cases ##x=2p-6## and ##p-6\equiv x^2\pmod{p}.## I don't know if this is a pattern or just luck. My practice on QRL applications is a bit rusty. You are the one who has the book.

Not sure what table they want, but you need to use the reciprocity law. It says that
##\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}##,
##\left(\dfrac{2}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p^2-1}8}##,
##\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)=\left(\dfrac{p}{3}\right)(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}(-1)^{\frac{3-1}2}##
then
##\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{2}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p^2-1}8}\left(\dfrac{p}{3}\right)##.

• Informative
Likes Lexaila
martinbn said:
Not sure what table they want, but you need to use the reciprocity law. It says that
##\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}##,
##\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)=\left(\dfrac{p}{3}\right)(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}(-1)^{\frac{3-1}2}##
then
##\left(\dfrac{-1}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{2}{p}\right)\left(\dfrac{3}{p}\right)=(-1)^{\frac{p^2-1}8}\left(\dfrac{p}{3}\right)##.
Thank you, it solves that question!

But if I have a different example, such as ( (p+3)/2 /p) = (2/p)(3/p) and when I try to use
for, for example, p (mod24) with p=23, I get ##(-1)^{\frac{23^2-1}8}=1## and ##\left(\dfrac{23}{3}\right)(-1)^{\frac{23-1}2}(-1)^{\frac{3-1}2}=(-1)*(-1)*(-1)=-1##, so we get ##1*-1=-1##, while it should be 1. Could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?

Lexaila said:
Thank you, it solves that question!

But if I have a different example, such as ( (p+3)/2 /p) = (2/p)(3/p) and when I try to use
for, for example, p (mod24) with p=23, I get ##(-1)^{\frac{23^2-1}8}=1## and ##\left(\dfrac{23}{3}\right)(-1)^{\frac{23-1}2}(-1)^{\frac{3-1}2}=(-1)*(-1)*(-1)=-1##, so we get ##1*-1=-1##, while it should be 1. Could you please tell me where I'm going wrong?
It seems you forgot the ##(-1)^{\frac{p-1}2}=(-1)^{\frac{23-1}2}=-1##

1. What is a Quadratic Residue?

A quadratic residue is an integer that is congruent to a perfect square modulo a given integer.

2. What is Quadratic Reciprocity Law (QRL)?

The Quadratic Reciprocity Law is a fundamental theorem in number theory that establishes a relationship between the solvability of quadratic congruences modulo different prime numbers.

3. How is Quadratic Reciprocity Law applied in cryptography?

Quadratic Reciprocity Law is used in cryptography to ensure the security of cryptographic systems by generating secure keys and ensuring the integrity of data transmission.

4. What are the implications of Quadratic Residue for prime numbers?

The study of quadratic residues is crucial in number theory and cryptography, as it helps in determining the solvability of certain equations and provides insights into the properties of prime numbers.

5. Can you provide an example of Quadratic Reciprocity Law in action?

One of the most famous applications of Quadratic Reciprocity Law is the Law of Quadratic Reciprocity, which establishes a relationship between the solvability of quadratic congruences modulo different prime numbers.