Quantified Statements

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
In summary: You have the right idea, but your translation is wrong. The correct answer is \exists s \exists c \exists m (P(s,c,m) \wedge (c \ne junior) \wedge (m \ne math)). It is not just that there exists a student who is not a math major and not a junior, but that there exists a student who is not a junior and is also not a math major. In your answer, you say "it is not true that there exists a student who is both not a math major and not a junior", which is not the same thing. Your answer is saying that there exists a student who is either a math major or a junior, but not both.In summary, the
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

A discrete mathematics class contains 1 mathematics major who is a freshman, 12 mathematics majors who are sophomores, 15 computer science majors who are sophomores, 2 mathematics majors who are juniors, 2 computer science majors who are juniors, and 1 computer science major who is a senior. Express each of these statements in terms of quantifiers and then determine its truth value.

a) There is a student in the class who is a junior.

b)Every student in the class is a computer science major.

c) There is a student in the class who is neither a mathematics major nor a junior.

d)Every student in the class is either a sophomore or a computer science major.

e) There is a major such that there is a student in the class in every year of study with that major.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, let P(s, c, m) be "student s has class standing c and is majoring in m."

I am having trouble with part (c). My answer to this part is [itex]\exists s \exists c \exists m (\neg P(s,c,math) \wedge \neg P(s,junior,m)[/itex] Evidently, the true anser is [itex]\exists s \exists c \exists m (P(s,c,m) \wedge (c ~ \ne ~ junior) \wedge (m ~ \ne ~ math)[/itex] At first I figured what was wrong with my answer was, that P(s,c,math) and P(s,junior,m) spoke about two different students; but then I realized, since both propositional functions assumed the variable s, they must be speaking of a single person at a time. Translating my answer to English, "It is not true that student s has class standing c and is majoring in math, and it is not true that this same student is a junior and is majoring in m," which I imagine would simplify to, and be logically equivalent to, "There is a student in the class who is neither a mathematics major nor a junior."

So, is my answer equally valid?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nope, your answer is weaker. You can split your answer into two because c appears only in the first half and m only in the second half.

Split it into two, translate that into English and you should see why it is weaker.

Suppose all of the comp sci majors taking the class are juniors as opposed to a mix of sophomores, juniors, and seniors. With this change, the statement "there is a student in the class who is neither a mathematics major nor a junior" is false. The correct answer also is false in this circumstance.

Now let's look at your representation of the statement. Set s to be one of those comp sci majors, c to be any year, and m to be math. Then P(s,c,math) both P(s,junior,m) are both false. Thus [itex]\exists s \exists c \exists m (\neg(P(s,c,\text{math}) \wedge \neg P(s,\text{junior},m))[/itex] is true.

So, DH, do you consent to my answer being correct? If so, I do have the notion that the answer the book provides is much simpler in terms of comprehensibility.

No. Your answer is incorrect.

1. What is a quantified statement?

A quantified statement is a type of mathematical or logical statement that involves a variable and specifies the quantity or extent of something. It can be either universal or existential, depending on whether it applies to all elements in a set or at least one element in a set.

2. What is the difference between a universal and an existential quantified statement?

A universal quantified statement is one that applies to all elements in a set, while an existential quantified statement applies to at least one element in a set. For example, the universal statement "All birds can fly" means that every bird has the ability to fly, while the existential statement "Some birds can fly" means that at least one bird has the ability to fly.

3. How do you represent a quantified statement symbolically?

A universal quantified statement can be represented symbolically as (∀x)P(x), where ∀ is the universal quantifier and P(x) is the predicate or condition that applies to all elements x in a set. An existential quantified statement can be represented symbolically as (∃x)P(x), where ∃ is the existential quantifier and P(x) is the predicate or condition that applies to at least one element x in a set.

4. Can a quantified statement be both universal and existential?

No, a quantified statement can only be either universal or existential, not both. This is because a universal statement applies to all elements in a set, while an existential statement only applies to at least one element in a set.

5. What is the process for translating a quantified statement into English?

The first step in translating a quantified statement into English is to identify the quantifier (∀ or ∃) and the variable it applies to. Then, translate the predicate or condition into English and use the appropriate quantifier to indicate whether it applies to all or at least one element in a set. Finally, add any necessary clarifying words or phrases to make the translation clear and grammatically correct.