Quantum Cosmology reading tips

In summary, the speaker has a plan to study physics and maths subjects during the summer after their exams. They plan to use books on General Relativity, Quantum Field Theory, Measure Theory, Differential Geometry, and Random Matrix Theory. They are also interested in studying cosmology and quantum cosmology, and are seeking recommendations for literature and authors to research, such as Wheeler, DeWitt, Hawking, Hartle, and Vilenkin. They mention having a good understanding of Quantum Mechanics but not yet of Quantum Field Theory.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
OK, I have a plan to learn this summer after all of my exams will end, some subjects in physics and maths (GR,QFT, measure theory,DG and some random matrix theory, not sure if this plan is tangible, I'll try), so for GR I think of using Wald's and A First course in GR, maybe I'll also look at MTW (which is gaining some dust in my desk since I purchased it... (-:), so I wonder the next step would be to read alongside some cosmology textbooks and naturally comes QC, but in this regard I am quite not sure what literature to use here (maybe not in this summer but the next), any guide as to good articles to search for?

I have seen there aren't specific textbooks on QC, I guess if I want to start in this I need to search for articles of people such as Wheeler, DeWitt, Hawking, Hartle; Any other names I should be at the look out?

Any reading tips on literature in Quantum Cosmology? obviously I have a good grasp of QM (not yet of QFT).

Space news on Phys.org
Alex Vilenkin did some good early work on quantum cosmology. Recently, he's worked mostly on eternal inflation and putting a measure on the multiverse -- related but more modern concepts.

1. What is quantum cosmology?

Quantum cosmology is a branch of physics that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity to study the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe.

2. How does quantum cosmology differ from classical cosmology?

Classical cosmology uses classical physics to explain the behavior of the universe, while quantum cosmology takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as uncertainty and wave-particle duality, to understand the universe at a microscopic level.

3. What are some key concepts in quantum cosmology?

Some key concepts in quantum cosmology include the wave function of the universe, the Wheeler-DeWitt equation, and the concept of quantum fluctuations in the early universe.

4. How does quantum cosmology contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Quantum cosmology allows us to study the universe at a level that classical cosmology cannot, providing insights into the behavior of the universe at its earliest stages and potentially explaining phenomena such as the Big Bang and inflation.

5. Are there any recommended readings for learning more about quantum cosmology?

Some recommended readings for learning more about quantum cosmology include "Quantum Cosmology" by John A. Wheeler, "The Quantum Universe: Everything that Can Happen Does Happen" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw, and "Quantum Cosmology: A Fundamental Description of the Universe" by Fay Dowker and Tejinder Singh.