What is the Role of Energy in Quantum Hybridized Orbitals?

Salamon
Presentation-Electron bonding 2 atoms.png
Presentation-Electron bonding 4 atoms.jpg

Hello,

I have a few questions about these images that I shared.

1) What does t represent? I am assuming Es is the energy of the atoms before they hybridize, and that t is either the gain or reduction of energy due to the new orbitals that are formed through bonding. Am I way off on this?
2) How does hybridization save energy? I am not seeing why the hybridized energy when there are two atoms is 2Es-2t...It seems that the hybridization can cause the energy to increase or decrease.

I apologize if my questions aren't clear but any insight you can give me in understanding these images would be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1. your understanding sounds OK to me

2. note that not all orbitals are filled, so the sum of all energies after hybridization is different from the initial n*Es (number of electrons times their initial energy); that in general depends on the number of initial electrons, it is not like it works the same way in every molecule and for every combination of atoms

I don't know where you got this diagram from, but it seems to be talking about the formation of molecular orbitals rather than hybridization. Hybridization is a concept from valence bond theory and usually involves "mixing" orbitals on the same atom, while the formation of molecular orbitals in molecular orbital theory involves the "mixing" of atomic orbitals on different atoms.

I would also not talk about "saving" energy in this context.