Quantum Mechanics: Linear and Circular polarization states

In summary, quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It describes the principles of quantum theory and how particles behave and interact with each other. Linear polarization refers to a particle's spin or angular momentum being aligned in a straight line, while circular polarization refers to a circular motion. These two states are related through a mathematical transformation called a rotation. In quantum mechanics, polarization states are crucial for describing particle behavior, and they have significant applications in technologies such as quantum computing and communication.
Robben

Homework Statement

Evaluate the matrix elements ##
{\mathbb S}=\left( \begin{array}{cc} \langle x|\mathbb{\hat J}_z|x\rangle& \langle x|\mathbb{\hat J}_z|y\rangle\\
\langle y|\mathbb{\hat J}_z|x\rangle &\langle y|\mathbb{\hat J}_z|y\rangle\end{array}\right)## by expressing the linear polarization states ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## in terms of the circular polarization states ##|R\rangle## and ##|L\rangle.##

Homework Equations

##|R\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|x\rangle+i|y\rangle\right)##
##|L\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|x\rangle-i|y\rangle\right)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## and got:

##|x\rangle=\frac{1}{2}\left(|R\rangle+|L\rangle\right)##
##|y\rangle = \frac{-i}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|R\rangle-|L\rangle\right)##.

To get ##\mathbb{S},## do I just work out:

##
{\mathbb S}=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\langle x \mid \mathbb{I} \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid x \rangle
& \langle x \mid \mathbb{I} \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid y \rangle \\
\langle y \mid \mathbb{I} \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid x \rangle & \langle y \mid \mathbb{I} \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z \mathbb{I} \mid y \rangle \end{array}\right) =
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\langle x \mid \pm z\rangle \langle \pm z | \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z |\pm z\rangle \langle \pm z \mid x \rangle
& \langle x \mid \pm z\rangle \langle \pm z | \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z |\pm z\rangle \langle \pm z \mid y \rangle \\
\langle y \mid \pm z\rangle \langle \pm z | \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z |\pm z\rangle \langle \pm z \mid x \rangle & \langle y \mid \pm z\rangle \langle \pm z | \ \mathbb{\hat J}_z |\pm z\rangle \langle \pm z \mid y \rangle \end{array}\right) \ ?
##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. You need to find out from your coursework what the action of Jz is on |R> and |L>, that's the whole point of using them instead of |x> and |y>...

Goddar said:
Hi. You need to find out from your coursework what the action of Jz is on |R> and |L>, that's the whole point of using them instead of |x> and |y>...

I am not understanding. So what I did was wrong?

The question asks to express ##|x\rangle## and ##|y\rangle## in terms of ##|R\rangle## and ##|L\rangle##.

That you did. But then you need to plug these relations in your matrix instead of what you did in the last part, which is what your question was about right?

So I did do it correctly and all I have to do is plug in the equations. Thank you!

Yes but then you'll still have to evaluate the matrix elements! And for that you'll need to know what <R| Jz|R> gives, for example...
Good luck.

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Linear and Circular polarization states

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes how these particles behave and interact with each other through the principles of quantum theory.

2. What is linear polarization in quantum mechanics?

Linear polarization refers to the state of a particle's spin or angular momentum being aligned in a straight line. In quantum mechanics, this is represented by the superposition of two states, where the particle has a 50% chance of being in either state.

3. What is circular polarization in quantum mechanics?

Circular polarization refers to the state of a particle's spin or angular momentum being aligned in a circular motion. This is represented by the superposition of two states, where the particle has a 50% chance of being in either a clockwise or counterclockwise spin state.

4. How are linear and circular polarization states related in quantum mechanics?

Linear and circular polarization states are two types of polarization states that are related through a mathematical transformation called a rotation. This transformation allows for the conversion between linear and circular polarization states, and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of polarization states in quantum mechanics?

Polarization states play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they are used to describe the behavior and interactions of particles. They are also essential in technologies such as quantum computing and quantum communication, where the manipulation and control of polarization states are key to their functioning.