[quantum mechanics] Perturbation theory in a degenerate case

In summary, in a degenerate case, the first step is to find the set of new states in which the perturbation term is diagonal. Once this is accomplished, the first order correction to the energy formula is the same as in the non-degenerate case. The formula for the first order correction is ##E_m' = \langle \phi_m | H' | \phi_m \rangle##, where ##\phi_m## is one of the states in the new set in which ##H'## is diagonal. To find the first order energy-shifts, the imperturbed kets that are degenerate must be identified and used to create a matrix V, where V_mm'=<m|V|m'> and |m
bznm

Homework Statement

I'm trying to understand how we can find - at the first order - the energy-shift and the eigenstates in a degenerate case.

My notes aren't clear, so I have searched in the Sakurai, but the notation is different, I have read other notes but their notation is different again... Please, tell me the formulas, at the moment I don't have to know the proof. Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In degenerate case, you have to find the set of new states in which the perturbation term is diagonal. Having found the right set of states, the first order correction to the energy formula is the same as the non-degenerate case.
bznm said:
I have read other notes but their notation is different again
What are you going to do if you cannot find book which uses the same notation as the ones in your notes? You just have to put up with their own notation if you want to be able to understand things.

blue_leaf77 said:
What are you going to do if you cannot find book which uses the same notation as the ones in your notes? You just have to put up with their own notation if you want to be able to understand things.

Sure, you're right. But in this moment, I have the brain "full" and I'm not able to find the correct result.. If you could help me giving the formula and the explanation about its notation, I think that I could understood more rapidly how to "translate" my notation with the book notation... If you can help me, I'll be grateful. In this moment I'm very confused.

The formula for the first order correction is the same as that in the non-degenerate case, namely ##E_m' = \langle \phi_m | H' | \phi_m \rangle##, where ##\phi_m## is one of the states in the new set in which ##H'## is diagonal. ##H'## is the perturbation term.

I have understood that I have to identify the imperturbed kets that are degenerate and find the matrix V, where V_mm'=<m|V|m'> and |m>, |m'> are eigenstates that have the same eigenvalue.

Then I have to diagonalize V and the eigenvalues are the energy-shifts at the first order. But I haven't understood what does it means "and find the related eigenstates". Do I have to find the eigenvectors related to the eigenvalues of V? But aren't they the correct zero-th order kets that the perturbed kets approaches when the perturbation approaches to zero? How I can find the first-order eingenvectors?

Related to [quantum mechanics] Perturbation theory in a degenerate case

1. What is perturbation theory in quantum mechanics?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical technique used to approximate the behavior of a quantum system when it is subjected to a small perturbation or disturbance. It allows us to study how the system responds to small changes in its parameters or external influences.

2. What is a degenerate case in perturbation theory?

A degenerate case in perturbation theory refers to a situation where two or more energy levels in a quantum system have the same energy, making it difficult to determine the exact behavior of the system. This can occur when there is symmetry in the system, causing multiple states to have the same energy.

3. How is perturbation theory applied in a degenerate case?

In a degenerate case, perturbation theory is applied by using the degenerate perturbation theory method, which involves finding the non-degenerate energy eigenstates of the system and then using them to calculate the perturbed energy levels. This method takes into account the degeneracy of the system and provides more accurate results.

4. What are the limitations of perturbation theory in a degenerate case?

One limitation of perturbation theory in a degenerate case is that it only works well when the perturbation is small. If the perturbation is too large, the results may not accurately reflect the behavior of the system. Additionally, perturbation theory may not be applicable in highly complex systems with many degenerate energy levels.

5. What are some real-world applications of perturbation theory in a degenerate case?

Perturbation theory in a degenerate case has many applications in fields such as quantum chemistry and solid-state physics. It is used to study the behavior of atoms, molecules, and materials under small perturbations, allowing for the prediction of chemical reactions, electronic and magnetic properties, and more. It has also been applied in the development of quantum computers and other advanced technologies.