Quantum Mechanics Scattering problem, 2 particles elastic collision

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about the total scattering cross section for two spinless particles colliding elastically. The question is from a previous exam and is not graded. The conversation covers various aspects of the problem, including writing a formal expression for the cross section, determining the angular momentum states that correspond to certain conditions, and calculating the total cross section in resonance. There is some uncertainty and speculation about the solution, and the conversation ends with a request for feedback or suggestions.
PineApple2
Hi. First of all, this question seems a bit obscure to me (like there are data missing) However, I quote it as it appeared in the source, so probably there aren't. Second, it is a question from a previous exam, so it is not graded or anything, and there is no problem helping me solving it...:smile:
After this preliminary, here is the question:

Homework Statement

Two spinless particles are colliding elastically.
(a) Write a formal expression for the total scattering cross section as a sum of partial waves.

(b) We are given that the cross section has resonance at all angles except for when the particles collide at 90o. Far from resonance, the differential cross section is isotropic. If we write the scattering problem as a sum of partial waves, what angular momentum states correspond to the given conditions?

(c) Assume scattering with low energy such that the only contribution to the cross section comes from the two lowest channels. Rewrite the solution to section (a) given the condition you derived at section (b).

(d) What is the corresponding phase shift for a resonance?

(e) Given that when the two particles collide at 90o in resonance, the phase shift is 45o. The momentum at resonance is [itex]k_R[/itex]. Use the results of sections (a)-(d) to calculate the total cross section in resonance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. My attempt goes like this.

(a) The known expression for the cross section in terms of partial waves is:
[tex]
\sigma_{tot} = \frac{4\pi}{k^2}\sum_{\ell=0}^{\infty}(2\ell+1)sin^2\delta_{\ell}(k)
[/tex]
(no derivation here. I didn't take into account anything related to 2 particles...)

(b) In order to meet the given condition that [itex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/itex] diverges for every angle except for 90o. This must be the case with [itex]f_{\ell}[/itex] as well (since [itex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=|f_{\ell}|^2[/itex]). So we need to assemble such a state that would make [itex]f_{\ell}[/itex] diverge for all angles except 90o. From here I am not sure how to continue...

(c) depends on section (b)

(d) The phase shift is 90o as is always the case with a resonance. Am I wrong?

(e) If one particle is scattered at an angle [itex]\theta[/itex], the other one is scattered at [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta[/itex]. So according to
[itex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=|f(\theta)+f(\pi/2-\theta)|^2[/itex] (which is true for identical particles, a fact that we are not given) we need an angular momentum state that vanishes for each pair of angles [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}-\theta[/itex]. Such a state could maybe consist of [itex]Y_2^0[/itex] (in which [itex]\cos^2(\pi/2-\theta)=\sin^2(\theta)[/itex] and so it cancels the angular dependence. Then adding up an appropriate factor of [itex]Y_0^0[/itex] would cancel out the scattering amplitude.

These are all sort of guesses. I am not sure about this question at all. I will be very happy for remarks on this and/or other suggestions.

Thanks!

[tex]

[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one? Please?

Related to Quantum Mechanics Scattering problem, 2 particles elastic collision

1. What is the basic concept of quantum mechanics scattering problem?

The quantum mechanics scattering problem involves studying the interactions between particles in a quantum system. It aims to understand how particles behave and change their trajectory when they come into contact with each other.

2. What is an elastic collision in quantum mechanics scattering?

Elastic collision is a type of interaction between two particles in which there is no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total energy before and after the collision is the same. In quantum mechanics, elastic collisions involve particles exchanging energy and momentum through virtual particles.

3. How is the scattering of two particles in quantum mechanics described?

The scattering of two particles in quantum mechanics is described using mathematical equations such as the Schrödinger equation or the Dirac equation. These equations take into account the wave-like nature of particles and allow for the calculation of the probability of various outcomes of the collision.

4. What factors affect the outcome of an elastic collision in quantum mechanics?

The outcome of an elastic collision in quantum mechanics is affected by several factors, including the energy and momentum of the particles, the distance between them, and the strength of their interaction. Additionally, the spin and charge of the particles can also play a role in determining the outcome.

5. How does quantum mechanics scattering differ from classical mechanics scattering?

In classical mechanics, particles are treated as point-like objects and their interactions are described using Newton's laws of motion. In contrast, quantum mechanics takes into account the wave-like nature of particles and describes their interactions using mathematical equations. Additionally, quantum mechanics allows for the possibility of particles changing their trajectory without coming into direct contact with each other, known as quantum tunneling.