Quantum Mechanics: Three Spin Observables

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation ##\mathbb{S}^2 =\hbar^2s(s+1)\mathbb{I}## and how it can be solved by setting ##\mathbb{S}^2## equal to a 2x2 matrix in two different ways. The conversation then goes on to determine the value of ##s## and discusses the properties of ##\mathbb{S}##, ultimately showing that ##\frac{3\hbar^2}{4} = \hbar^2s(s+1)## when ##s = \frac{1}{2}##.
Robben
When trying to solve ##\mathbb{S}^2 =\hbar^2s(s+1)\mathbb{I},##
I got that ##\mathbb{S}^2 = \mathbb{S}^2 _x+\mathbb{S}^2_y+\mathbb{S}^2_z = \frac{3\hbar^2}{4}
\left[\begin{array}{ c c }1 & 0\\0 & 1\end{array} \right] = \frac{3\hbar^2}{4}\mathbb{I},## but how does ##\frac{3\hbar^2}{4} = \hbar^2s(s+1)?##

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand, It's a matrix equality => 4 equalities.

dextercioby said:
I don't understand, It's a matrix equality => 4 equalities.
I don't understand your comment?

Well, S^2 is equal to a 2x2 matrix in 2 different ways. One is through the eigenvalue equation, and the other is through the sum of the squares of the 3 Pauli matrices. So you can equal these 2 matrices and obtain 4 equalities *one for each matrix element*.

Hm, so how does ##\frac{3\hbar^2}{4} = \hbar^2s(s+1)?##

Robben said:
When trying to solve ##\mathbb{S}^2 =\hbar^2s(s+1)\mathbb{I},##
I got that ##\mathbb{S}^2 = \mathbb{S}^2 _x+\mathbb{S}^2_y+\mathbb{S}^2_z = \frac{3\hbar^2}{4}
\left[\begin{array}{ c c }1 & 0\\0 & 1\end{array} \right] = \frac{3\hbar^2}{4}\mathbb{I},## but how does ##\frac{3\hbar^2}{4} = \hbar^2s(s+1)?##

Can you explain what ##\mathbb{S}## and ##s## are supposed to be? Is ##\mathbb{S}## required to be unitary? Hermitian? A linear combination of Pauli matrices? Is ##s## a scaling factor? Real? Complex? Known ahead of time?

If ##\mathbb{S}## is a linear combination of Pauli matrices like ##\hat{v} \cdot \vec{\sigma}##, where ##\hat{v}## is a unit vector, then it is unitary and Hermitian and thus its own inverse. So ##\mathbb{S}^2## will be just ##\mathbb{I}##, meaning ##\hbar^2 s(s+1)## must equal 1, and all that's left is a quadratic equation.

Strilanc said:
Can you explain what ##\mathbb{S}## and ##s## are supposed to be? Is ##\mathbb{S}## required to be unitary? Hermitian? A linear combination of Pauli matrices? Is ##s## a scaling factor? Real? Complex? Known ahead of time?

If ##\mathbb{S}## is a linear combination of Pauli matrices like ##\hat{v} \cdot \vec{\sigma}##, where ##\hat{v}## is a unit vector, then it is unitary and Hermitian and thus its own inverse. So ##\mathbb{S}^2## will be just ##\mathbb{I}##, meaning ##\hbar^2 s(s+1)## must equal 1, and all that's left is a quadratic equation.

##s## is the eigenvalues and ##\mathbb{S}## is Hermitian.

Robben said:
##s## is the eigenvalues and ##\mathbb{S}## is Hermitian.

In that case I think it reduces to ##\left( s \hat{v} \cdot \vec{\sigma} \right)^2 = \hbar^2 s(s+1) \mathbb{I}##, where ##\hat{v}## is an arbitrary unit vector and ##s## is a root of ##s^2 (1 - \hbar^2) - s \hbar^2 = 0##.

Robben said:
Hm, so how does ##\frac{3\hbar^2}{4} = \hbar^2s(s+1)?##
Because [itex]s = \frac{1}{2}[/itex]:
1) Don't you have [itex]\frac{3}{4} \hbar^{2} = \frac{1}{2} ( \frac{1}{2} + 1 ) \hbar^{2} , \ \ \Rightarrow s = \frac{1}{2}[/itex] ?
2) For what [itex]s > 0[/itex], do you have [itex]s^{2} + s - \frac{3}{4} = ( s - \frac{1}{2} ) ( s + \frac{3}{2} ) = 0[/itex] ?

Likes Robben
I see, thank you very much guys!

Related to Quantum Mechanics: Three Spin Observables

1. What is Quantum Mechanics: Three Spin Observables?

Quantum Mechanics: Three Spin Observables is a branch of quantum mechanics that deals with the measurement and observables of a particle's spin in three-dimensional space. It is based on the theory that particles, such as electrons, have an intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, which can be measured and observed in different directions.

2. How is Quantum Mechanics: Three Spin Observables different from Classical Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics: Three Spin Observables differs from Classical Mechanics in that it takes into account the inherent uncertainty and randomness of quantum systems. In Classical Mechanics, the position and momentum of a particle can be known with certainty, while in Quantum Mechanics, the spin of a particle can only be measured with a certain probability.

3. What are the three spin observables in Quantum Mechanics?

The three spin observables in Quantum Mechanics are the spin in the x-direction, the spin in the y-direction, and the spin in the z-direction. These observables represent the three components of a particle's spin, and they can be measured and observed separately.

4. How are the three spin observables related to each other?

The three spin observables are related to each other through the Pauli spin matrices, which represent the operators for measuring the spin in each direction. These matrices are linearly dependent, meaning that they are related by mathematical equations and cannot be measured independently.

5. What is the significance of the three spin observables in Quantum Mechanics?

The three spin observables play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. They provide a way to measure and observe the spin of particles, which is a fundamental property that can influence other aspects of a particle's behavior, such as its energy and interactions with other particles. The three spin observables also demonstrate the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics and the limitations of measurement in the microscopic world.