Quantum physics experiments for EEI

In summary: It's very easy to get carried away with more complex theory, but keep in mind that the purpose of an E.E.I. is to demonstrate your understanding of the fundamentals of physics.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding a suitable quantum mechanics experiment for a year 12 physics EEI. Suggestions are given for conducting an experiment similar to Young's Slits, with emphasis on making the purpose and results of the experiment clear and not relying on theoretical calculations. Additional advice is given to stick to the fundamentals of physics and not go off on tangents.
Nick reznov
(Hope this is the right forum)

For my year 12 physics EEI (extended experimental investigation) basically a report. I was hoping to find a suitable quantum mechanics experiment that i could conduct. Does anyone know of an experiment like this?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Nick reznov said:

For my year 12 physics EEI (extended experimental investigation) basically a report. I was hoping to find a suitable quantum mechanics experiment that i could conduct. Does anyone know of an experiment like this?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What are your ideas so far? What research have you done so far on this?

Nick reznov said:

Thanks in advance

Hey, are you from Australia? I remember doing E.E.I.s... God I hated them. Well done doing quantum physics as a topic for your E.E.I. though. Complex and challenging, right? That sounds like a hard topic to do not only because the theory is difficult but it is difficult to do an experiment on (I think you would need very special equipment). The simplest thing I can think of is to do something similar to Young's Slits, which doesn't require a lot of equipment and the theory (wave interferences) is not too complicated.

My best advice for doing an E.E.I., however, is to make it as clear as possible what you are testing. You are doing an experiment to see what the natural phenomena you observe is, what the theory behind it is, and if it is consistent with that theory. Do not use theory to produce the data for you! For example, do not do mathematical calculations (a priori) to produce your data. The data must come from your experiment (a posteriori) and then you see if the data is consistent with the mathematical theory.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just another point to add: I am also saying don't go too far off on tangents. Be clear about what you are testing and stick to it.

1. What is quantum physics and how does it relate to EEI?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It relates to EEI (Extended Experimental Investigation) in that it can be used to investigate and understand the behavior of electronic devices and technologies, as well as the fundamental principles that govern their function.

2. What kind of experiments can be conducted using quantum physics for EEI?

There are many different experiments that can be conducted using quantum physics for EEI, depending on the specific area of interest. Some common examples include studying the behavior of electrons in semiconductors, using quantum tunneling to manipulate particles, and investigating the properties of superconductors.

3. How are quantum physics experiments for EEI different from traditional experiments?

Quantum physics experiments for EEI are different from traditional experiments because they often involve working with extremely small and delicate systems, such as individual atoms or photons. These experiments also often require specialized equipment and techniques, such as cryogenics and laser technology, to manipulate and measure quantum effects.

4. What are some potential applications of quantum physics in EEI?

Quantum physics has a wide range of potential applications in EEI. Some examples include developing more powerful and efficient electronic devices, improving data encryption and security, and exploring new technologies such as quantum computing and quantum communication.

5. Are there any safety concerns when conducting quantum physics experiments for EEI?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when conducting quantum physics experiments for EEI. These experiments often involve working with high-energy lasers, cryogenic temperatures, and potentially hazardous chemicals. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and receive proper training before conducting any quantum physics experiments.