Quantum physics problem: SE and operators

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a time-dependent operator to satisfy a specific condition for all states that develop in time according to the Schrödinger equation. The solution involves using a unitary operator and finding the correspondence between the Schrödinger and Heisenberg pictures.
max_jammer
Hello.
I have this problem at hand:

Homework Statement

A quantum mechanical system has a hamilton operator [itex]\hat{H}[/itex] and another, time independent operator [itex]\hat{A}_{0}[/itex].
Construct a time dependent operator [itex]\hat{A}(t)[/itex] so that:
<ψ(t)|[itex]\hat{A}_{0}[/itex]|ψ(t)> = <ψ(0)|[itex]\hat{A}(t)[/itex]|ψ(0)>
for all states ψ(t) that develop in time according to the SE.

The Attempt at a Solution

In the derivation of the Schrödinger equation, we use the unitary operator [itex]\hat{U}(t)[/itex] to calculate the effect of time on the state ψ(0)...
So
ψ(t) = [itex]\hat{U}(t)[/itex] ψ(0) = exp(-i/[itex]\hbar \hat{H}[/itex] t) ψ(0).

In other words:
<ψ(t)|[itex]\hat{A}_{0}[/itex]|ψ(t)> = <[itex]\hat{U}(t)[/itex] ψ(0)|[itex]\hat{A}_{0}[/itex]|[itex]\hat{U}(t)[/itex] ψ(0)>
=<ψ(0) |[itex]\hat{U}(t)^{+} \hat{A}_{0} \hat{U}(t)[/itex] | ψ(0)>.

so my "solution" is that
[itex]\hat{A}(t)[/itex] = [itex]\hat{U}(t)^{+} \hat{A}_{0} \hat{U}(t)[/itex]...

But this is way too simple to be correct...

So what am I missing?

Thanks

/D

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks fine to me. I suppose you could write explicitly what ##U(t)^\dagger## is equal to.

Related to Quantum physics problem: SE and operators

1. What is a quantum physics problem?

A quantum physics problem involves the application of quantum mechanics principles to solve a specific question or scenario. It often involves the use of mathematical equations and operators to describe the behavior of subatomic particles at a microscopic level.

2. What is the Schrödinger equation (SE) in quantum physics?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a given time.

3. What are operators in quantum physics?

In quantum physics, operators are mathematical symbols used to represent physical quantities such as position, momentum, and energy. They are used in the Schrödinger equation to describe the behavior and properties of quantum systems.

4. How do operators and the SE relate in quantum physics problems?

In quantum physics problems, operators are used in the SE to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state. The SE is an equation that describes how the state of a quantum system changes over time, and operators are used to represent the physical quantities that affect this change.

5. How do scientists use SE and operators to solve quantum physics problems?

Scientists use the SE and operators to solve quantum physics problems by plugging in the relevant information and applying mathematical operations to calculate the probability of a particle's state at a given time. This allows them to make predictions and understand the behavior of quantum systems at a microscopic level.