Quantum physics - time dependant changes

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle in a 1D box with width a that undergoes a rapid and symmetrical expansion to width 2a. The main questions are: 1) What is the probability that the particle is in the new ground state immediately after the expansion? 2) How rapid must the expansion be for the calculation to be valid? The conversation also touches on the concepts of the Schrodinger equation, the wavefunction, and the fourth postulate in relation to finding the probability. The summary concludes with a discussion of the domain of the wavefunction before the expansion and the new ground state wavefunction, and how they can be used to calculate the probability.
david_clint

Homework Statement

a particle of mass m is in the groundstate of a 1D box with width a. the box then expands rapidly and symmetrically to width 2a. i). What is the probability that the particle is in the new groundstate immediately after the expansion? and ii). how rapid must this expansion be for your calculation to be valid?

Homework Equations

timescale for change must be hbar/ |E_alpha -E_ beta|
i think for probabilty you use that the statefunction evolves in time according to the Schrodinger equation and probabilty is the mod squared of the wave-function.

The Attempt at a Solution

• pre expansion i got the energy of the groundstate as h^2/8ma^2
  • and after expansion h^2/32ma^2
  • the wavefunction is SQRT(PI/2a) cos (PI.x/a) before and after the expansion.

for part ii). i got (3/64PI) * (ma^2/h) for how rapid the expansion must be
for part i). i am stuck! [We were given the hint to use the fourth postulate to compute the probability that given the state-function (above), a measurement of energy will give the ground state energy of the expanded box (which i worked out above). ]

Physics news on Phys.org
david_clint said:
the wavefunction is SQRT(PI/2a) cos (PI.x/a) before and after the expansion.
But not everywhere! The wavefunction only takes that form within a certain domain of x. What is that domain, before the expansion?

For rapid expansion, you can assume that the wavefunction does not change during the expansion. But once the box expands, the eigenstates do change; even though the wavefunction was originally the ground state, it is no longer going to be the ground state. But it will have some component of the ground state in it, and you can figure out just how much by taking the inner product of the wavefunction with the new ground state. From that, you can find the probability.

diazona said:
But not everywhere! The wavefunction only takes that form within a certain domain of x. What is that domain, before the expansion?

For rapid expansion, you can assume that the wavefunction does not change during the expansion. But once the box expands, the eigenstates do change; even though the wavefunction was originally the ground state, it is no longer going to be the ground state. But it will have some component of the ground state in it, and you can figure out just how much by taking the inner product of the wavefunction with the new ground state. From that, you can find the probability.

The wavefunction has that form between minus and plus a/2 i think.
Is the new ground state wavefunction: sqrt(1/a) sin (PI. x/2a).
which i then multiply by the 'original' wavefunction and integrate. Also what will then be the integration limits: minus and plus a/2?
Then mod squared of the inner product would give the probability. Thanks

Related to Quantum physics - time dependant changes

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains the fundamental principles of the universe and how particles interact with each other.

2. How does time affect quantum physics?

In quantum physics, time is considered to be a variable quantity. This means that the behavior of particles and their interactions can change over time, leading to time-dependent changes. These changes can be observed in various phenomena, such as quantum tunneling and superposition.

3. What are time-dependent changes in quantum physics?

Time-dependent changes refer to the changes in the behavior and properties of particles over time in the quantum world. These changes can occur due to various factors, such as the influence of external forces or interactions with other particles.

4. How do time-dependent changes affect our understanding of the universe?

Time-dependent changes play a crucial role in our understanding of the universe, as they help explain various phenomena that cannot be explained by classical physics. These changes also provide insights into the nature of time and how it is connected to the fundamental laws of the universe.

5. What are some practical applications of time-dependent changes in quantum physics?

Time-dependent changes in quantum physics have practical applications in various fields, such as quantum computing and cryptography. They also help in the development of new technologies, such as quantum sensors and detectors, which have improved precision and accuracy due to time-dependent changes in the behavior of particles.