Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the Hamiltonian is given by ##H=\hbar \omega (a^\dagger a+b^\dagger b)+\hbar\kappa(a^\dagger b+ab^\dagger)## with commutation relations ##[a,a^\dagger]=1 \hspace{1 mm} and \hspace{1 mm}[b,b^\dagger]=1##. The Heisenberg equations of motion for a and b are given by ##\ddot a=-(\omega^2+\kappa^2)a-2\omega\kappa b## and ##\ddot b=-(\omega^2+\kappa^2
rbwang1225
The Hamiltonian is ##H=\hbar \omega (a^\dagger a+b^\dagger b)+\hbar\kappa(a^\dagger b+ab^\dagger)## with commutation relations ##[a,a^\dagger]=1 \hspace{1 mm} and \hspace{1 mm}[b,b^\dagger]=1##.
I want to calculate the Heisenberg equations of motion for a and b.
Beginning with ##\dot a=\frac{i}{\hbar}[H,a]=-i\omega a-i\kappa b ## and
##\dot b=\frac{i}{\hbar}[H,b]=-i\omega b-i\kappa a##,
I got ##\ddot a=-(\omega^2+\kappa^2)a-2\omega\kappa b## and
##\ddot b=-(\omega^2+\kappa^2)b-2\omega\kappa a##.
The solution is ##a+b=[a(0)+b(0)]e^{-i(\omega+\kappa)t}## and from this I got
##b=[a(0)+b(0)]e^{-i(\omega+\kappa)t}-a## and then
##\dot a=-i(\omega+\kappa)a-i\kappa[a(0)+b(0)]e^{-i(\omega+\kappa)t}##.
The solution of ##a## is ##a=-i\kappa[a(0)+b(0)]te^{-i(\omega+\kappa)t}+a(0)e^{-i(\omega+\kappa)t}## and therefore
##b=i\kappa[a(0)+b(0)]te^{-i(\omega+\kappa)t}+b(0)e^{-i(\omega+\kappa)t}##.
However, my result did not preserve the commutator, i.e., ##[a,a^\dagger]=2\kappa^2t^2+1##.
I don't know which step is wrong in my derivation.

The solution in the book of Carmichael is ##a=e^{-i\omega t}[a(0)\cos\kappa t-ib(0)\sin\kappa t]## and
##b=e^{-i\omega t}[b(0)\cos\kappa t-ia(0)\sin\kappa t]##, which preserves the commutators.

Physics news on Phys.org
a¨=−(ω22)a−2ωκb and b¨=−(ω22)b−2ωκa.
From this, (a + b)¨ = - (ω + κ)2 (a + b) and (a - b)¨ = - (ω - κ)2 (a - b).

Thus each of a and b are superpositions of exponentials, ei(ω + κ)t and ei(ω - κ)t

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

Related to Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is a Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator?

A Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a system that has both energy and oscillatory properties. It is based on the principles of quantum mechanics and combines the concepts of energy and oscillations to explain the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels.

2. How does a Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator work?

A Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator works by using the principles of quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels and oscillatory behavior of a system. It involves the interaction of particles with a potential energy function, which causes them to oscillate at specific frequencies. The energy levels of the system can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the potential energy function and the mass and position of the particles.

3. What are the applications of a Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator?

The Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator has many applications in various fields, including quantum computing, quantum chemistry, and quantum optics. It is also used to study the behavior of particles in quantum systems and to understand the properties of materials at the atomic level.

4. How is a Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator different from a classical harmonic oscillator?

A Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator differs from a classical harmonic oscillator in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics, such as uncertainty and superposition. In a classical harmonic oscillator, the energy levels are continuous, while in a quantum system, the energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only take on certain discrete values.

5. Can a Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator be observed in real life?

While the effects of a Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator can be observed in experiments, it cannot be directly observed in everyday life. This is because the system involves particles at the atomic and subatomic levels, which are too small to be seen with the naked eye. However, the principles and applications of the Quantum Resonant Harmonic Oscillator have been verified through numerous experiments and observations in the field of quantum mechanics.