Quantum "tunneling" of sorts and QFT....

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a classical potential barrier of infinite height and infinite width, with the field values outside of the barrier set to be exactly zero. The question is whether this situation can happen in reality and how QFT handles it. It is noted that for a finite height barrier, the field decays exponentially in both ordinary QM and QFT, with no significant difference between the two. The conversation also delves into the nuances of the full QFT description, which is not easily summarized.
asimov42
Hi all,

Another naive question related a previous post (where the topic diverged somewhat). I'm wondering about the following thought experiment:

Consider the field associated with a single electron. Now, confine the field to a region (volume) of radius R - that is, field values outside of R are exactly zero (out to infinity, say). This would, in some sense represent a classical potential barrier of infinite height and infinite width.

Next, reduce the width of the barrier (very quickly) to some finite value, say M. Now you have a situation in which the field, which was initially exactly zero beyond R, can assume non-zero values at radius R + M, but is still confined to be zero in the 'barrier' region between R and R + M (i.e., the barrier is now a spherical shell).

The question: can anything approximating this situation happen in reality? If so, it would seem that, with the field forced to remain zero inside the 'barrier' region, there would be no way to propagate and obtain a non-zero field value outside the 'barrier' (because the field must evolve continuously)... the poor electron would remain forever bounded inside the sphere of radius R.

If the field were somehow to evolve through the barrier - this would need to occur no faster than c?

How does QFT handle the situation above (again, if possible)? You can't suddenly have a non-zero field value at radius R + M, without some type of propagation (presumably causally) through the barrier region.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Or is it the case that the field strength (related to the electron) can never be zero? Or that, in reality, one cannot trap the electron in a finite volume? (presumably yes, I'm just looking for an explanation)

As above - the field (wave) amplitude must be non-zero through the barrier, otherwise the wave could not propagate. So very similar to the standard wavefunction explanation in QM. Any comments on the correctness of this?

Apologies for being the only one posting - just hoping I can phrase the question (really just the difference between tunneling as expressed in QFT and tunneling in regular QM) is a way that's coherent. Any help appreciated as usual.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Could anyone comment on whether the field (wave packet) is non-zero throughout the barrier (just to confirm)? Or simply point to a suitable reference that describes tunneling in QFT?

Now just how fast are you planning to change the barrier?

Presumably the barrier cannot change faster than c. But let's forget the case of an infinite potential well - I'm also wondering about the description of tunneling in QFT for a finite barrier of finite width.

Why do you think it would be different to regular QM?

I was wondering if changing over to a relativistic description of field propagation would have any effects? Or does the wave packet just extend (i.e., is nonzero) through the barrier region?

Last edited:
Actually, there's more to it - I clearly understand tunneling from the perspective of the wave function extending through the barrier. However, in the QFT case, I don't think I'm fully clear on the ontology of the 'field' itself, and hence what the field formulation would say about the barrier region (as @vanhees71, @PeterDonis, and others have pointed out, the wave function has limited meaning in QFT).

(I'm still struggling with QFT in general - hence any references that are relatively easily digestible would be helpful.)

asimov42 said:
Consider the field associated with a single electron

What field are we talking about? The electric field?

asimov42 said:
confine the field to a region (volume) of radius R

How do you propose to do this? You can't magically make an electric field disappear.

asimov42 said:
How does QFT handle the situation above

First we need to have a situation that is possible.

PeterDonis said:
What field are we talking about? The electric field?

I was thinking of the electron field.

PeterDonis said:
First we need to have a situation that is possible.

Right - so let's just consider the case of a fixed-height, fixed-width potential barrier. In the tunneling situation, what does QFT say about the (electron) field in the barrier region? (e.g., always nonzero)

asimov42 said:
I was thinking of the electron field.

Ok.

asimov42 said:
In the tunneling situation, what does QFT say about the (electron) field in the barrier region?

For a finite height barrier, I believe it decays exponentially, just like the wave function does in ordinary QM.

PeterDonis said:
For a finite height barrier, I believe it decays exponentially, just like the wave function does in ordinary QM.

Ah, ok, thanks @PeterDonis! So regular (run of the mill, so to speak) traveling wave packet, hits the barrier and decays exponentially, and then shows up on the other side at a greatly reduced amplitude (if one can say such a thing about a wave packet)? (to confirm)

asimov42 said:
So regular (run of the mill, so to speak) traveling wave packet, hits the barrier and decays exponentially, and then shows up on the other side at a greatly reduced amplitude (if one can say such a thing about a wave packet)?

At this level of approximation, yes, that's basically what's going on.

What you might not be grasping is that, for the case under discussion, there is no real difference between QFT and ordinary QM. Ordinary QM is an approximation to QFT; in this approximation you can start with QFT quantum fields and derive ordinary QM wave functions. There are plenty of cases where this approximation doesn't work, but quantum tunneling through a barrier is not one of them.

Ok, thanks! When you mention the level of approximation, is there an easy way (unlikely :smile:) to say what issues arise when one considers the full QFT description? (i.e., what complications arise, at a high level)

asimov42 said:
is there an easy way (unlikely :smile:) to say what issues arise when one considers the full QFT description?

Not really, no. I would recommend working through a QFT textbook, but I don't think anyone would say that was "easy". :wink:

PeterDonis said:
Not really, no. I would recommend working through a QFT textbook, but I don't think anyone would say that was "easy". :wink:

Great - my assumption is that, even in the full QFT description, you always have nonzero field values on both sides of, and inside, the barrier region? (hehe last question, promise, and thanks again @PeterDonis!)

I'm actually looking for a good text, if anyone has suggestions - at the moment, the one most useful is "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur", but I'm not sure I'm in that category :smile:).

Last edited:

1. What is quantum tunneling and how does it work?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier classically. It works due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles have a small chance of appearing on the other side of the barrier even if they do not have enough energy to cross it.

2. What is the significance of quantum tunneling in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, quantum tunneling plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. It helps explain how particles can interact and exchange energy without directly touching each other, and how particles can spontaneously appear and disappear in vacuum fluctuations.

3. Can quantum tunneling be observed in everyday life?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon that is most commonly observed at the subatomic level. However, it can also occur on a larger scale, such as in the natural radioactive decay of atoms. In everyday life, we do not directly observe quantum tunneling, but it is necessary to understand many technological devices, such as transistors and tunneling microscopes.

4. How does quantum tunneling affect the behavior of particles in a potential well?

In a potential well, particles are confined to a specific region by a potential barrier. Quantum tunneling allows particles to have a small chance of escaping the well even if they do not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This leads to the phenomenon of particle decay, where particles can spontaneously tunnel out of the well.

5. What is the role of quantum tunneling in quantum computing?

Quantum tunneling is a key component in quantum computing, as it allows for the manipulation and control of quantum bits (qubits). By using quantum tunneling, qubits can be entangled and manipulated in a way that allows for the computation of complex problems at a much faster rate than classical computers. However, controlling and minimizing the effects of quantum tunneling is also a major challenge in quantum computing.