Quark confinement and meson confinement

In summary, mesons are not confined inside a proton because the color forces between the quarks and gluons in the proton do not allow for a color-charged particle to exist in isolation. This is due to color confinement, where the strong force between two color charges increases as they are separated, making it impossible to separate them without an infinite amount of energy. Asymptotic freedom, on the other hand, is a high-energy/low-distance phenomenon where the coupling strength between color charges decreases as energy increases, but it does not necessarily lead to confinement.
So you say one should throw away all QCD results based on T³

Physics news on Phys.org
tom.stoer said:
So you say one should throw away all QCD results based on T³

I never said that. One should view the QCD results based on the torus as results that may need modification in the infinite-volume limit, at least those modifications that are already needed in case of QED.

There are of course known differences regarding topology, large gauge transformations / winding number, gauge field zero modes etc. It would not be a disaster to add some more topics to that list.

But: as long as we do not know how the topology of the universe looks like, this is academic; I can't believe (and I hope that I am not completely wrong) that the cosmological constant doe not affect the QCD spectrum :-)

tom.stoer said:
There are of course known differences regarding topology, large gauge transformations / winding number, gauge field zero modes etc. It would not be a disaster to add some more topics to that list.

But: as long as we do not know how the topology of the universe looks like, this is academic; I can't believe (and I hope that I am not completely wrong) that the cosmological constant doe not affect the QCD spectrum :-)

You have here a double negation. Did you intend that not not x = x? I'd be surprised...

For the purposes here on earth, the universe can be regarded as being topologically
flat, and gravitation can be treated as an external field. Under these conditions, I believe that both QED and the standard model or its variants are consistent.

Thanks for correcting me: As long as we do not know how the topology of the universe looks like, this is academic; I can't believe that the cosmological constant does affect the QCD spectrum.