Feynman diagram for ##\mu^+\mu^-## production in ##p\bar{p}## reaction

In summary, in a proton-antiproton collision, only two quarks combine to create a virtual photon, which then produces a muon and anti-muon. The other quarks likely combine to form mesons, although it is uncertain which specific meson would be produced. It is possible that both the production of two ##\pi^0## mesons and the production of a ##\pi^+ \pi^-## meson pair are equally probable.
Nirmal Padwal
Homework Statement
Remembering that helicity is conserved at high energies,
a) Draw a typical diagram for ##\mu^+ \mu^-##-pair production, with an invariant mass around 30 GeV, in unpolarised ##p\bar{p}## collisions.
b) Derive an expression for the angular distribution (with respect to the ##\bar{p}## direction) of ##\mu^+## in the ##\mu^+\mu^-##, centre-of-mass system.
(Hint: You will need to look up the appropriate ##d^j_{m'm}## rotation matrix elements)
Relevant Equations
1) ##d^1_{11} = \frac{1}{2}(1+\cos\theta)##
2) ##d^1_{-11} = \frac{1}{2}(1-\cos\theta)##
I was able to solve b) but I am confused for a). I understand that in the proton-antiproton collision, only two quarks (one from proton and other from anti-proton) can be combined to get a virtual photon that in turn creates muon and anti-muon. I don't understand what would happen to the other quarks? Since single quarks cannot exist independently, I think maybe they combine to form mesons. Is that correct? But which meson? If I take ##u## and ##\bar{u}## from ##p## and ##\bar{p}## respectively (please check the feynman diagram below), I am still left with ##u,d,\bar{u},\bar{d}##. Do they combine to give two ##\pi^0##s or ##\pi^+\pi^-##?
pp collision feynman diag.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Nirmal Padwal said:
Homework Statement:: Remembering that helicity is conserved at high energies,
a) Draw a typical diagram for ##\mu^+ \mu^-##-pair production, with an invariant mass around 30 GeV, in unpolarised ##p\bar{p}## collisions.
b) Derive an expression for the angular distribution (with respect to the ##\bar{p}## direction) of ##\mu^+## in the ##\mu^+\mu^-##, centre-of-mass system.
(Hint: You will need to look up the appropriate ##d^j_{m'm}## rotation matrix elements)
Relevant Equations:: 1) ##d^1_{11} = \frac{1}{2}(1+\cos\theta)##
2) ##d^1_{-11} = \frac{1}{2}(1-\cos\theta)##

I was able to solve b) but I am confused for a). I understand that in the proton-antiproton collision, only two quarks (one from proton and other from anti-proton) can be combined to get a virtual photon that in turn creates muon and anti-muon. I don't understand what would happen to the other quarks? Since single quarks cannot exist independently, I think maybe they combine to form mesons. Is that correct? But which meson? If I take ##u## and ##\bar{u}## from ##p## and ##\bar{p}## respectively (please check the feynman diagram below), I am still left with ##u,d,\bar{u},\bar{d}##. Do they combine to give two ##\pi^0##s or ##\pi^+\pi^-##?
View attachment 323288
It's not so much a matter of which happens, it's a matter of which is more likely. I haven't checked the tables but I would suspect that both versions are about equally probable

-Dan

1. What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a graphical representation of a particle interaction or decay process in quantum field theory. It shows the possible paths of particles and their interactions through space and time.

2. How is the Feynman diagram used in ##\mu^+\mu^-## production in ##p\bar{p}## reaction?

In this particular process, the Feynman diagram shows the interaction between a proton and an antiproton, resulting in the production of a muon-antimuon pair. The diagram illustrates the exchange of virtual particles, such as gluons and photons, between the proton and antiproton.

3. What does the ##\mu^+\mu^-## represent in the Feynman diagram?

The ##\mu^+\mu^-## represents the production of a muon-antimuon pair. This is a result of the interaction between the proton and antiproton, as shown in the Feynman diagram.

4. How does the Feynman diagram help in understanding the ##p\bar{p}## reaction?

The Feynman diagram allows us to visualize the complex interactions between particles in the ##p\bar{p}## reaction. It helps us understand the underlying processes and calculate the probabilities of different outcomes.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Feynman diagram in particle interactions?

While the Feynman diagram is a useful tool for understanding particle interactions, it is a simplified representation and does not account for all possible interactions and processes. It is also limited in its ability to accurately predict the exact outcomes of experiments.