How Do Voltage Changes Affect Fields in a Quasi-Electrostatic Capacitor?

• Thread starter NotHeisenburg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric and magnetic fields between two parallel circular plates with one grounded and the other having a linearly increasing voltage. The equations used include the permittivity, voltage formula, and the electric and magnetic field formulas. The plate radius and separation are also mentioned.
NotHeisenburg

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the electric and magnetic fields between two parallel circular plates, where one plate is grounded and the the other has a voltage that increases linearly with time. I need the E field between plates, and I can ignore fringing fields. The permativity is specified to be ##\epsilon_0##.

Homework Equations

## V(t)=at ## where ##a## is a constant.
The radius of the plates is given to be ##R##

The Attempt at a Solution

##E(\vec{r},t)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int\frac{(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')\rho(\vec{r}',t)d^3r'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}##

##\rho(\vec{r},t)=##?

With the E field I would find the B field using

## \nabla \times B=\mu_0\vec{J}+\frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial E}{\partial t} ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like a simple parallel plate capacitor setup. You can find the plate area easily enough from the given radius. Do you have a value for plate separation?

I would assume that I could just call the plate separation ##d##

NotHeisenburg said:
I would assume that I could just call the plate separation ##d##
Sure. And it's well known that, ignoring edge effects, the electric field between the plates of a parallel capacitor is uniform.

First of all, let's define what a quasi-electrostatic capacitor is. A quasi-electrostatic capacitor is a type of capacitor where the electric field is approximately constant between the two plates, meaning that the electric field does not vary significantly between the two plates. This is in contrast to a regular capacitor, where the electric field varies significantly between the two plates.

Now, in order to solve for the electric and magnetic fields between the two parallel circular plates, we need to determine the charge density, ##\rho(\vec{r},t)##, which is the charge per unit volume at any given point in space and time. In this case, since one plate is grounded and the other plate has a voltage that increases linearly with time, we can assume that the charge on the plates will also increase linearly with time.

We can express the charge density as:

##\rho(\vec{r},t)= \sigma(t)\delta(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0)##

where ##\sigma(t)## is the surface charge density on the plates and ##\vec{r}_0## is the position vector of a point on the plate.

Using this charge density, we can now solve for the electric field between the plates using the equation you provided:

##E(\vec{r},t)=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int\frac{(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')\sigma(t)\delta(\vec{r}'-\vec{r}_0)d^3r'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}##

Since we are ignoring fringing fields, we can assume that the charge distribution is uniform and the electric field is constant between the plates. This means that the charge density, ##\sigma(t)##, is also constant and equal to the charge on the plates divided by the area of the plates.

Substituting this into the equation above, we get:

##E(\vec{r},t)=\frac{\sigma(t)}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int\frac{(\vec{r}-\vec{r}')\delta(\vec{r}'-\vec{r}_0)d^3r'}{|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^3}##

Since the charge on the plates is increasing linearly with time, we can express the charge density as:

##

Related to How Do Voltage Changes Affect Fields in a Quasi-Electrostatic Capacitor?

1. What is a quasi-electrostatic capacitor?

A quasi-electrostatic capacitor is a type of capacitor that uses the principle of electrostatics to store and release electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material, and is able to store and release charges without the need for a physical connection between the plates.

2. How does a quasi-electrostatic capacitor differ from a regular capacitor?

The main difference between a quasi-electrostatic capacitor and a regular capacitor is the absence of a physical connection between the plates. While a regular capacitor uses a physical connection to transfer charges, a quasi-electrostatic capacitor relies on the electric field between the plates to store and release charges.

3. What are the applications of quasi-electrostatic capacitors?

Quasi-electrostatic capacitors have a wide range of applications, including energy storage systems, power electronics, and electronic circuits. They are also used in devices such as sensors, actuators, and batteries, and are increasingly being used in renewable energy systems.

4. How do you calculate the capacitance of a quasi-electrostatic capacitor?

The capacitance of a quasi-electrostatic capacitor can be calculated using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates. The capacitance can also be affected by the shape and material of the plates, as well as the dielectric constant of the material.

5. What are the advantages of using quasi-electrostatic capacitors?

The main advantage of using quasi-electrostatic capacitors is their ability to store and release charges without the need for a physical connection between the plates. This makes them more reliable and efficient compared to regular capacitors. They also have a higher energy density, faster charging and discharging times, and longer lifespan, making them suitable for various high-tech applications.