Quation about term symbols: N atom

In summary, the term symbol for the nitrogen atom is 4S3/2, which indicates L=0, S=3/2, and J=3/2. There are four levels with S=3/2, but they are degenerate without a magnetic field. In a magnetic field, the Zeeman effect causes the four states to split. This explains why the energy diagrams only show one state. The same applies to molecular term symbols, such as N2(A) with a triplet sigma. The paper mentioning different linestrengths between N2(A) and N2(B) (trip pi) is due to the degeneracy being lifted in the presence of a magnetic field. This question should be addressed in
Mr Boom
So the term symbol for the nitrogen atom is 4S3/2

This means L=0, S=3/2, hence J=3/2. My question is that if S=3/2 than this is a quartet, meaning there are four levels, yet I only ever see one state listed on energy diagrams? What gives? Obviously, I'm still trying to learn term symbols Are there four levels and all of the atoms assume the lowers level? So you can't do absorption, for example, on the three higher levels because they won't be populated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Btw, this question is more apt for the atomic physics forum.
To your question: As long as there is no magnetic field the four states with S=3/2 or J=3/2 are degenerate. In a magnetic field you will observe the splitting i.e. the Zeeman effect.

OK, that makes sense. I think my confusion was that I was comparing the nitrogen and oxygen term symbols with known transition lines and for oxygen (triplet P) there are three close P line corresponding to different J values. These three lines don't represent the triplet of the ground state but rather the ground state and two other states. Correct?

Also, when I have a molecular term symbol, say for N2(A), I have a triplet sigma. does the same thing apply? The reason I ask is because I'm looking at a paper that talks about the different linestrengths (looking at N2(A)->N2(B) (trip pi)) when going from one to another (P11 being stronger than P12, etc). If they are truly degenerate, than why do they have different linestrengths and how would you even know?Sorry about the location.

DrDu said:
Btw, this question is more apt for the atomic physics forum.

And it has been moved accordingly. :smile:

Related to Quation about term symbols: N atom

1. What are term symbols?

Term symbols are a notation used to represent the electronic states of atoms or molecules. They consist of a combination of letters and numbers that describe the orbital angular momentum, spin, and total angular momentum of the electrons in a given state.

2. How are term symbols determined for the N atom?

The term symbols for the N atom are determined by applying Hund's rules, which state that the electrons in a given energy level will arrange themselves to maximize their total spin and total orbital angular momentum. The resulting term symbols are then organized based on their total angular momentum and spin quantum numbers.

3. What is the significance of term symbols for the N atom?

The term symbols for the N atom provide important information about its electronic structure and energy levels. They can be used to predict the relative energies of different electronic states and to understand the behavior and properties of the atom in different experimental conditions.

4. How do term symbols differ for multi-electron atoms compared to single-electron atoms?

Term symbols for multi-electron atoms, such as N, are more complex than those for single-electron atoms. This is because the interactions between multiple electrons can affect their individual spin and orbital angular momentum, leading to a wider range of possible term symbols.

5. Can term symbols be used to determine the magnetic properties of the N atom?

Yes, term symbols can provide information about the magnetic properties of the N atom. The total spin quantum number of the term symbol can be used to determine if the atom has a net magnetic moment, and the splitting of the term symbols can provide information about the atom's response to external magnetic fields.