Question about a car turning on ice.

In summary, the main cause of a car sliding on ice is the lack of friction between the tires and the road surface. To prevent sliding on ice, installing winter tires with deep treads and driving at a slower speed can help. If a car starts sliding on ice, it is important to stay calm and avoid sudden movements. Driving on ice can be dangerous and should be avoided if possible, but if necessary, safe driving practices should be followed. It is not recommended to use a regular car on ice, as they are not equipped to handle slippery conditions.
preluderacer
If I was turning in a circular motion in a car, then I hit a patch of ice making the road frictionless. Would my car just go straight? I always have a hard time on these intuitive questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Right well if the friction is providing the centripetal force then μmg=mv2/r. Hence if μ=0, then no force is providing the necessary force to carry it in that circular motion, hence yes it would go straight.

Related to Question about a car turning on ice.

What causes a car to slide on ice?

The lack of friction between the tires and the road surface on ice is the main cause of a car sliding. The smoothness of ice reduces the ability of the tires to grip the road, resulting in the car sliding.

How can I prevent my car from sliding on ice?

To prevent your car from sliding on ice, you can install winter tires with deep treads that provide better traction on slippery surfaces. Additionally, driving at a slower speed and avoiding sudden acceleration or braking can also help prevent sliding on ice.

What should I do if my car starts sliding on ice?

If your car starts sliding on ice, the most important thing to do is to stay calm and avoid any sudden movements. Do not slam on the brakes, as this can cause the car to skid even more. Instead, gently steer in the direction you want the car to go and lightly apply the brakes.

Is it safe to drive on ice?

Driving on ice can be dangerous and should be avoided if possible. However, if you must drive on ice, make sure to use caution and follow safe driving practices, such as driving at a slower speed and keeping a safe distance from other vehicles.

Can I use my regular car on ice?

While it is possible to use a regular car on ice, it is not recommended as they are not equipped with the necessary features to handle slippery conditions. It is best to use a car with winter tires or a four-wheel drive system for better traction and control on ice.