Different Temperatures of Ice versus the Refractive Index

In summary, when trying to find the refractive index of ice using different temperatures, the molecular formula changes but the refractive index does not.
Irremytr
Homework Statement
I want to make an experiment about the refractive index of ice but this time I want to use different temperatures. (for example with -15 C ice and with -1 C ice) When I tried to search on the internet I couldn't find any specific formula or any article because I guess I couldn't explain what I want to do in a few words. (English is not my mother tongue and there are no articles in my language about this I checked them) Can you help me to find something and also does the refractive index change with the temperature of ice? I guess it will because of the molecular formula changes but not sure :/
Relevant Equations
:0
I want to make an experiment about the refractive index of ice but this time I want to use different temperatures. (for example with -15 C ice and with -1 C ice) When I tried to search on the internet I couldn't find any specific formula or any article because I guess I couldn't explain what I want to do in a few words. (English is not my mother tongue and there are no articles in my language about this I checked them) Can you help me to find something and also does the refractive index change with the temperature of ice? I guess it will because of the molecular formula changes but not sure :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally I want to find the refractive index of ice but I want to solve it just with temperature. Lorenz-Lorenz equation is this (I hope)=

n is refractive index
d is density
e0 is the electric constant
Na is the avagadro constant
y is the molecular polarizability of one molecule
M is molar massK= [(n^2 - 1) / (n^2 + 2)] x (1/d)

K is also this:

K = (Pm / M) x 10^3

and Pm is this:

Pm = (1/ ( 3 x e0 )) x Na x y

When I know “ y “ I can find other things too because I found a database which tells me the density of ice with its temperature and I will use that information. But when I looked on the internet I have just found that I can not find directly the polarizability of one molecule of ice but there is an average value for that (I don’t know I am also looking if this is true). Can you please help me to find “ y “ or is there any other ways to find the refractive index with other equations maybe? I hope I can explain my problem.

(Sorry for the bad grammar mistakes or wrong words that I used, eng is not my mother tongue :/)

1. What is the relationship between the temperature of ice and its refractive index?

As the temperature of ice decreases, its refractive index also decreases. This means that as ice gets colder, it becomes less dense and its ability to bend or refract light decreases. This relationship is known as the Clausius-Clapeyron relation.

2. How does the refractive index of ice change with different temperatures?

The refractive index of ice changes in a linear fashion with temperature. This means that for every degree Celsius decrease in temperature, the refractive index decreases by a constant amount.

3. Can the refractive index of ice be used to determine its temperature?

Yes, the refractive index of ice can be used to determine its temperature. By measuring the refractive index and using the Clausius-Clapeyron relation, the temperature of the ice can be calculated.

4. How does the refractive index of ice compare to other materials at different temperatures?

The refractive index of ice is lower than most other materials at the same temperature. This is because ice has a lower density and therefore a lower ability to bend light compared to other materials.

5. Is there a specific temperature at which the refractive index of ice is at its lowest?

Yes, there is a specific temperature at which the refractive index of ice is at its lowest. This temperature is known as the ice's eutectic point, which is around -72.6 degrees Celsius. At this temperature, the ice has the lowest density and therefore the lowest refractive index.