Question about a crane and anchor

• Thread starter homeylova223
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Crane
In summary, the tension in the rightward extending rope section is not affected by the length of the string.
homeylova223
Homework Statement
Tension on crane.
Relevant Equations
No equations are used.
question25.jpg

The question is number 25. Where is the tension on X greater. I think it would be A because you have the weight of not only box A but also the anchor pulling down on the rope.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is A, but your reason is wrong.
It asks if the tension in X is more when the weight is at A or at B. X carries the weight of the anchor in both cases, so is irrelevant.
At A, the weight increases X tension. At B, the weight decreases X tension,

Merlin3189 said:
Yes it is A, but your reason is wrong.
It asks if the tension in X is more when the weight is at A or at B. X carries the weight of the anchor in both cases, so is irrelevant.
At A, the weight increases X tension. At B, the weight decreases X tension,
I disagree with this, however the drawing is a marvel of ambiguity, making it difficult to guess the intent.

As I interpret it, the joint in the middle where horizontal beam meets vertical column is to be interpreted as a hinged joint where both the leftward-extending and rightward-extending portions of the horizontal beam are free to swing independently up and down. The vertical column is also to be viewed as being hinged. The upward-extending and downward-extending portions are free to pivot independently.

The rope is anchored to the top of the column. It is not free to move left or right relative to the column. However, as above, the column itself is free to pivot, constrained by the rope.

The left end of the left-extending beam is anchored to the "anchor". It is not free to move in any direction. The left end of the rope is anchored to the left-extending beam. Accordingly, it is not free to move in any direction.

The bottom end of the downward-extending column is anchored to the floor. It is not free to move in any direction.

The right end of the rope is anchored to the right end of the right-extending beam.

With these constraints and freedoms we can see that the column elements are subject to compressive loads only. The beam elements are also subject to compressive (or tensile) loads, but support the load (at point A or point B) based on stiffness.

Do a torque balance for the rightward-extending beam with the weight at position B and see what that implies for the tension in the rightward extending rope section.

Here is a drawing showing my interpretation:
1583861904140.png

Last edited:
Likes Merlin3189
In weight B the string is longer would that increase tension I wonder.

homeylova223 said:
In weight B the string is longer would that increase tension I wonder.
No. That is not [completely] correct reasoning. Some trigonometry is called for.

jbriggs444 said:
I disagree with this, however the drawing is a marvel of ambiguity, making it difficult to guess the intent.
Yes you're right.

I was just working on an update, but will leave it unposted, as you've left it for OP's consideration.

What mislead me was the "crane". As U say it's just a board fixed at one end.

Considering the points you made about the possible arrangements of string and support, I decided whatever they are does not affect the outcome. But I'll wait and se how this develops.

I must agree the question (like several others on the paper) is unclear and ambiguous.

Also I disagree with some answers. In the flight section, they still seem to believe in the equal transit time for aerofoils, which I thought had been discredited.

Likes jbriggs444

1. How does a crane work?

A crane is a type of machine that is used to lift and move heavy objects. It typically consists of a long arm, known as a boom, that is attached to a base and can rotate 360 degrees. The boom is equipped with a pulley system and cables, which allow it to lift and lower objects. The base of the crane is mounted on either wheels or tracks, allowing it to move to different locations.

2. What is the purpose of an anchor on a crane?

The purpose of an anchor on a crane is to provide stability and prevent the crane from tipping over. When a crane is in use, it exerts a lot of force on the ground, and the anchor helps distribute this force evenly, keeping the crane balanced and secure.

3. How do you operate a crane's anchor?

The anchor on a crane is typically operated by a hydraulic system. This system allows the anchor to be lowered and secured into the ground, providing stability for the crane. The operator can control the anchor from inside the crane's cab, using levers and buttons.

4. What are the safety precautions for using a crane and anchor?

When operating a crane and anchor, it is essential to follow all safety precautions to prevent accidents and injuries. This includes ensuring that the crane is set up on stable ground, using the correct weight and size of the anchor, and following proper operating procedures. It is also crucial to regularly inspect the crane and anchor for any signs of damage or wear and tear.

5. Can a crane be used without an anchor?

No, a crane should never be used without an anchor. The anchor provides crucial stability and safety for the crane and its operator. Without an anchor, the crane is at risk of tipping over, causing damage and potential injuries. It is essential to always use an anchor when operating a crane.