Question about applying the Lorentz Transformation to velocity 4-vectors

In summary, the conversation revolves around the matrix representation of the Lorentz Transformation and the use of different 4-vectors to derive the velocity addition formula. The speaker asks for someone to either derive the formula using the velocity 4-vector and the matrix representation or explain why it is not possible. The conversation also touches on the concept of renormalization and its role in obtaining the correct formulas.
ygolo
My question deals not with the Lorentz Tranformation itself, but the matrix representation of it:
18b6fe27d3b2ecf1604b998f4fa6b4a7.png

I see readily how the space-time 4-vector: [tex]x^{\mu}=\left( c \ast t, x, y, z\right)[/tex] transforms approptiately so that [tex]x^{\acute{\mu}}=\Lambda_{v}^{\acute{\mu}} \ast x^{\mu}=\left( \gamma \ast \left( c \ast t - \beta \ast x\right), \gamma \ast \left( x- \beta \ast c \ast t \right), y, z\right)[/tex].

I also see how a properly aligned Energy-Momentum 4-vector [tex]p^{\mu}=\left( \frac{E}{c}, \left|\vec{p}\right|, 0, 0\right)[/tex] transforms appropriately so that [tex]p^{\acute{\mu}}=\Lambda_{v}^{\acute{\mu}} \ast p^{\mu}=\left( \gamma \ast \left(\frac{E}{c} - \beta \ast \left|\vec{p}\right| \right), \gamma \ast \left( \left|\vec{p}\right| - \beta \ast \frac{E}{c} \right), 0, 0 \right)[/tex].

It is rather simple to use the transformed position four-vector to get the inverse of the velocity addition formula: [tex] \acute{v}=\frac{v-v_s}{1-\left(\frac{v_s \ast v}{c^2}\right)}[/tex]

...and its not too much harder to use [tex]v = \frac{\left|\vec{p}\right| \ast c^2}{E} [/tex], and the result of the Energy-momentum 4-vector, to arrive at the same formula.

However, if I use an appropriately aligned the velocity 4-vector, [tex]\zeta^{\mu}=\left(\gamma \ast c, \gamma \ast \left|\vec{v}\right|, 0, 0 \right)[/tex], I am not able to get the correct formulas. I am not even able to get the result that the speed of light is constant.

I don't know if there is some algabraic trickery needed, or if there is something more fundamental I am missing (I suspect that I am missing something fundamental).

So I ask if someone can do one of the following:
  1. Derive the velocity addition formula (or its inverse) by using the velocity 4-vector and the matrix reprecentation of the Lorentz Transformation
  2. Explain why it is misguided to attempt this.

Physics news on Phys.org
ygolo said:
My question deals not with the Lorentz Tranformation itself, but the matrix representation of it:
I'd say that that matrix is the Lorentz transformation, and that the system of equations that corresponds to it is a trick that someone invented to make it less clear what we're really doing. (Only half kidding).

ygolo said:
Derive the velocity addition formula (or its inverse) by using the velocity 4-vector and the matrix reprecentation of the Lorentz Transformation
See e.g. #9 here. Note that I'm using units such that c=1.

You can also do it just by multiplying two Lorentz transformation matrices together and see what you get in the position(s) that's supposed to represent the velocity. I suggest you try that too. You don't have to let a Lorentz transformation act on anything to derive the velocity addition law.

ygolo said:
However, if I use an appropriately aligned the velocity 4-vector, [tex]\zeta^{\mu}=\left(\gamma \ast c, \gamma \ast \left|\vec{v}\right|, 0, 0 \right)[/tex], I am not able to get the correct formulas. I am not even able to get the result that the speed of light is constant.
Not sure what formulas you're not able to get. To see that the speed of light is invariant, find the eigenvectors of [itex]\Lambda[/itex]. Start by finding the eigenvalues from the equation

[tex]0=\det(\Lambda-\lambda I)[/tex]

Last edited:
I guess the conceptual component I was missing was the "re-normalization" (for lack of a better word) of the resulting vector so that the first component was [tex]\gamma \ast c[/tex] (or [tex]c[/tex]) depending on which version of velocity you are using.

I'm not sure what the mathematical justification for it is though. Neither the position 4-vector, nor the Energy-Momentum 4-vector needed "renormalization" (again I'm not sure what to call it).

I suppose all of this, "knowing the units of things implicitly" comes naturally to those who have worked with the theory for a while, but it is a bit annoying for new-commers.

Related to Question about applying the Lorentz Transformation to velocity 4-vectors

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation and how does it relate to velocity 4-vectors?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to convert between reference frames that are moving at constant velocities with respect to each other. It allows us to describe the same physical phenomenon from different perspectives. Velocity 4-vectors are a mathematical representation of the velocity and direction of an object in spacetime, and the Lorentz Transformation can be applied to these vectors to account for the effects of special relativity.

2. How do you apply the Lorentz Transformation to velocity 4-vectors?

To apply the Lorentz Transformation to a velocity 4-vector, you first need to determine the relative velocity between the two reference frames. Then, you can use the Lorentz Transformation equations to calculate the transformed velocity 4-vector. These equations involve the speed of light, the relative velocity, and the coordinates of the original velocity 4-vector.

3. Can the Lorentz Transformation be used for any type of motion?

The Lorentz Transformation can only be applied to objects that are moving at constant velocities with respect to each other. It does not account for acceleration or non-uniform motion. Additionally, it is only applicable in the context of special relativity, which deals with objects moving at high speeds close to the speed of light.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Transformation and velocity 4-vectors?

The Lorentz Transformation and velocity 4-vectors are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. Some applications include calculating the trajectories of particles in particle accelerators, predicting the behavior of high-speed spacecraft, and understanding the effects of time dilation in GPS systems.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using the Lorentz Transformation and velocity 4-vectors?

One limitation of the Lorentz Transformation is that it only applies to objects that are not accelerating or changing direction. It also assumes that the laws of physics are the same in all reference frames, which is a key principle of special relativity. Additionally, the transformation does not account for the effects of gravity, which are described by general relativity.