Question About Bloch Oscillation: Understand the Energy

• Thread starter hafsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscillator
In summary, Bloch oscillations are based on the assumption that the dispersion relation is periodic, which is different from the formula for free electrons. The periodicity allows for the energy of an electron with k=pi/d to be the same as k=3 pi/d. This is due to Bloch's theorem, which states that the energy is periodic over k at the same band. The extended zone scheme may be the same as the repeated-zone scheme, but this is not confirmed.
hafsa
i have a question concerning BLOCH OSCILLTION.i studied that in the extended zone scheme, the energy of an electron with k=pi/d is same as with k=3 pi/d.
i can't understand this because by dispersion relation as wave vector increases ,energy also increases(in extended zone scheme too)
please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
well, if I'm not mistaken, bloch oscillations are based on the assumption that the dispersion relation is periodic [something like - e(k)=B+A*cos(a*k)]. when you derive the speed from this energy [by v=(1/h)*de(k)/dk] you get a sine - a periodic speed.
the reason that the dispersion relation is periodic and not e(k)=h^2*k^2/2m is that the later is true only for free electrons. when dealing with bloch electrons this formula isn't quite right. if you work with the tight binding method you get those periodic e(k) functions.

Last edited:
hmm,u mean that in bloch oscillation we are actually apllying bloch theorem also.(by letting n vary,we obtain same energy for different energies of k(wave vector)and there is no role of extended zone scheme here.am i right?

sure. and according to bloch's theorem:
[tex]\epsilon[/tex]n[tex](k)[/tex]=[tex]\epsilon[/tex]n[tex](k+G)[/tex]
where G is any reciprocal lattice vector.
this means that at the same band (n) the energy is periodic over k.

regarding the extended zone scheme, I am not sure but as far as i understand it will be the same as the repeated-zone scheme (that is the reduced zone repeated).

Related to Question About Bloch Oscillation: Understand the Energy

1. What is Bloch Oscillation?

Bloch Oscillation is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where an electron in a periodic potential experiences a constant acceleration when subjected to a constant electric field.

2. How does Bloch Oscillation relate to energy?

Bloch Oscillation is related to energy because the acceleration of the electron in the periodic potential is directly proportional to the energy of the electron. As the electron gains energy, its acceleration increases and it experiences larger Bloch oscillations.

3. Why is understanding Bloch Oscillation important?

Understanding Bloch Oscillation is important because it is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has applications in various fields such as solid state physics, nanotechnology, and quantum computing.

4. How does the potential energy affect Bloch Oscillation?

The potential energy affects Bloch Oscillation by determining the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation. A higher potential energy results in larger amplitude and faster oscillations, while a lower potential energy results in smaller amplitude and slower oscillations.

5. Can Bloch Oscillation be observed experimentally?

Yes, Bloch Oscillation has been observed experimentally in various systems such as semiconductor superlattices and optical lattices. These experiments provide evidence for the quantum nature of electrons and demonstrate the validity of the Bloch theory.