Question about charged particle in an electric field

In summary, if the particle is placed in the field over the center of the charged plate, it is possible for it to be suspended in the air. However, the magnitude of the electric field and direction of the electric force cannot be determined from the information given.
Matthew Muro
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
Question:
A) A small charged sphere is attached to a thread and placed in an electric field. The other end of the thread is anchored so that the sphere is in a static situation when placed in the field. If the thread is horizontal, find the magnitude and direction of the electric field. The sphere has a mass of 0.05 kg and contains a charge of +3e3 C. Show your work and/or explain your reasoning.

B) Now the same particle is removed from the thread and placed over the center of a charged plate. Are there any conditions under which it is possible for the particle to be suspended in the air above the plate?

Hello all, my problem is picturing and interpreting what each question is exactly asking for and what to do in order to solve these problems. I am not sure what these problems are asking for. Thank you in advance to all of those who help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to draw a diagram for the first question? What forces act on the sphere, and in what directions?

haruspex said:
Have you tried to draw a diagram for the first question? What forces act on the sphere, and in what directions?
Well from my understanding, the only definitive forces acting upon the sphere are Fg and tension of the string but I am confused in what direction the tension is supposed to be in as well as what direction the Fe (electric force) is supposed to point in (which I am assuming indicated the direction of the electric field)

Matthew Muro said:
what direction the tension is supposed to be in
You are told it is horizontal.
Matthew Muro said:
what direction the Fe (electric force) is supposed to point in
That is what you are asked to determine.

haruspex said:
You are told it is horizontal.

That is what you are asked to determine.
So the tension would be either to the left or right (does not matter I am assuming). The electric field would be placed in a manner that would allow the electric force to point either up or down but i am not sure how to determine which direction. I am also not too sure how to determine the magnitude.

Matthew Muro said:
So the tension would be either to the left or right (does not matter I am assuming). The electric field would be placed in a manner that would allow the electric force to point either up or down but i am not sure how to determine which direction. I am also not too sure how to determine the magnitude.
Initially you wrote that you did not understand what the question was asking for, so I did not insist on your completing the template (which you should not have deleted).
Now we are past that. Please quote any standard equations you believe may be relevant and show some attempt. Posting a free body diagram would be a good start.

1. What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is an object that has an electric charge, either positive or negative. This charge can result from an excess or deficit of electrons in the object.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where a charged particle experiences a force. This force can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the particles involved.

3. How does a charged particle behave in an electric field?

A charged particle in an electric field will experience a force due to the electric field. The direction of this force is determined by the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field.

4. How can the motion of a charged particle in an electric field be described?

The motion of a charged particle in an electric field can be described using the equations of motion, specifically Newton's second law. The force on the particle due to the electric field can be equated to the product of the particle's mass and acceleration.

5. What are some real-life applications of charged particles in an electric field?

Charged particles in an electric field are used in a variety of technologies, such as in electronic devices like computers and cell phones. They are also used in medical imaging techniques like MRI and in particle accelerators for scientific research.