Question about double-slit experiment

Jason Ko
TL;DR Summary
Will the fringes be brighter if I use a raser with higher intensity? And can I improve the experiment by using higher wavelength incident rays so as to observe more bright fringes?
s

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use a laser of higher intensity the locations where bright fringes appear will receive more photons per second so they will be brighter.

Why do you think that increasing the wavelength will increase he number of bright fringes? What equation do you have in mind? Also, in what way do you think the experiment will be improved if you increase the number of bright fringes?

kuruman said:
If you use a laser of higher intensity the locations where bright fringes appear will receive more photons per second so they will be brighter.

Why do you think that increasing the wavelength will increase he number of bright fringes? What equation do you have in mind? Also, in what way do you think the experiment will be improved if you increase the number of bright fringes?
The diffraction effect will enhance as the wavelength has increased, so the bright fringes will span wider. If the number of bright fringes has increased, the measurement will be more accurate.

Jason Ko said:
The diffraction effect will enhance as the wavelength has increased, so the bright fringes will span wider. If the number of bright fringes has increased, the measurement will be more accurate.
I repeat, what mathematical equation says that the number of fringes increases as the wavelength increases? You need to understand this point before you start thinking about increasing the accuracy of the experiment.

Also, you did not explain why more fringes means more accurate measurement. What exactly will you be measuring that will have its accuracy increased when you have more bright fringes?

As I'll measure the distance spanned by several bright fringes and then determine the fringe separation. I think more fringes will lead to a better evaluation of fringe separation.

kuruman said:
I repeat, what mathematical equation says that the number of fringes increases as the wavelength increases? You need to understand this point before you start thinking about increasing the accuracy of the experiment.

Also, you did not explain why more fringes means more accurate measurement. What exactly will you be measuring that will have its accuracy increased when you have more bright fringes?
I think I've made thing wrong. mλ=asinθ, larger wavelength means larger θ, so fewer fringes will be formed.

Likes sophiecentaur
Jason Ko said:
I think I've made thing wrong. mλ=asinθ, larger wavelength means larger θ, so fewer fringes will be formed.
Now you got the idea. So if you want to have more fringes, you have to decrease the wavelength.

kuruman said:
Now you got the idea. So if you want to have more fringes, you have to decrease the wavelength.
Thks a lot!

Likes kuruman

What is the double-slit experiment?

The double-slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum physics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light and matter. It involves shining a light source or particles through two closely spaced slits onto a screen, resulting in an interference pattern that can only be explained by the wave nature of the particles.

Why is the double-slit experiment important?

The double-slit experiment is important because it challenges our classical understanding of particles as discrete entities with definite positions and velocities. It demonstrates that particles can exhibit wave-like behavior, suggesting that they exist in a state of superposition until measured, as described by quantum mechanics.

What does the double-slit experiment reveal about the nature of particles?

The double-slit experiment reveals that particles, such as photons or electrons, can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like properties depending on how they are observed. This phenomenon, known as wave-particle duality, suggests that particles exist in a state of probability until measured, and that their behavior is inherently uncertain.

How does the double-slit experiment support the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics?

The double-slit experiment supports the Copenhagen interpretation by demonstrating that particles exist in a state of superposition until measured, at which point their wave function collapses. This interpretation suggests that particles have no definite properties until observed, and that the act of measurement plays a crucial role in determining their behavior.

Are there any variations of the double-slit experiment?

Yes, there are several variations of the double-slit experiment, including the delayed-choice experiment, which allows researchers to choose whether to measure the particles' paths after they have passed through the slits. These variations further highlight the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics.