Question about Electric Fields and Charges

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a homework assignment involving electric fields and forces on charges. They have been able to solve some parts but need assistance with others. The expert suggests using specific equations and using understanding of forces and electric fields to solve the problems. The person is able to correctly identify the equations and determine that the net force on Q must be zero.
gamma-guy

Homework Statement

So I was given some questions as practice, and I can't seem to do them. Here is a link to the questions:

http://i.imgur.com/ZmkqCAV.jpg (the answers are in square brackets)

Ive only been able to calculate Q3 and Q2 so far. I would really especially like help with Q1. I've been stuck on it for ages.

Homework Equations

Ive been told this would be helpful: http://i.imgur.com/nmrsk2E.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive been stuck on Q1 for ages. I've been playing around with F = k q1q2/r^2 but that's not getting me anywhere.

For Q2: I used E = kq/r^2 for q1 and q2. Subtracting the answers gave me -225x10^3, which is somewhat equal to 2.3x10^5. I've got no idea on how to get the j vector component though.
Edit: I just got the j vector. Pythag and then the formula above got it.

I have no idea where to begin for Q4

ANY help appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lets take them one at a time:
Q1: you have the correct equation... you need to use the fact that force is a vector and Q seen a net zero force. However, it may give simpler maths if you use the electric field equation instead.
Work out the force on Q due to each charge ... just using symbols to start with.
What does the force add up to?
How do you write that in maths?

Q2: the electric field is a vector - which way does the electric field of q3 point?

Q4: you need to look at your notes ... you will have an equation about the torque on a dipole.

Simon Bridge said:
Lets take them one at a time:
Q1: you have the correct equation... you need to use the fact that force is a vector and Q seen a net zero force. However, it may give simpler maths if you use the electric field equation instead.
Work out the force on Q due to each charge ... just using symbols to start with.
What does the force add up to?
How do you write that in maths?

Q2: the electric field is a vector - which way does the electric field of q3 point?

Q4: you need to look at your notes ... you will have an equation about the torque on a dipole.
Thank you, i really appreciate it. Am I right in assuming the Force from Q to q1 = Q to q3? Or Q to q1 - Q-q3 = 0?

The question says it is the force on Q due to the other three that is zero.
You can use your understanding of forces (or electric fields) to work out the directions.
i.e. a positive charge to the left of Q contribute an electric field pointing to the right and F=QE
The actual value of Q does not matter (you'll see) so you can assume it is positive.

Simon Bridge said:
The question says it is the force on Q due to the other three that is zero.
You can use your understanding of forces (or electric fields) to work out the directions.
i.e. a positive charge to the left of Q contribute an electric field pointing to the right and F=QE
The actual value of Q does not matter (you'll see) so you can assume it is positive.

Ok, so the forces (Q to q1) + (Q to q2) + (Q to q3) = 0?

That is what the problem statement says all right - well done.

Likes gamma-guy

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of charged particles. These particles can either be stationary or in motion. When a charged particle is placed in an electric field, it will experience a force that is proportional to the strength of the field.

What is the relationship between electric charges and electric fields?

Electric charges and electric fields are closely related. Charged particles create electric fields and are also affected by them. The direction of the electric field is determined by the sign of the charge, with like charges repelling each other and opposite charges attracting.

How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This represents the amount of force experienced by a test charge of one Coulomb placed in the field. The strength of an electric field also decreases with distance from the source charge.

What are some real-life applications of electric fields and charges?

Electric fields and charges have many practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the functioning of electronic devices, such as cell phones and computers, and the transmission of electricity through power lines. They are also used in medical imaging, such as X-rays, and in various industrial processes.