Question about kmaps and grouping

• Thread starter leonne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grouping
In summary: This helps to simplify the expression and make it easier to read. In a 3-variable K-map, it is also possible to box two cells in separate boxes if they share the same logic values. This is because they can be combined into a single group. In the last example, the overlapping 4-cell boxes are not necessary because the two cells on top already form a group, and the overlapping boxes would not simplify the expression any further.
leonne

Homework Statement

I got a question about grouping of 1 in kmap,
ex in 16 cell

so i box the top left 4 then i box the two on the bottom right. now this part i don't get, they box 4 other ones overlapping the top box. why don't they just box the two by them self, also can you box a row of 3?, never seen it but don't know why. Does it have to go by 2 or something? Also the bottom left one why do they box that whole column, why not just box it the on on top?
thanks
also in a 3 variable k map, i never saw them box the whole row, they just box two in separate boxes why?

also in
they don't do the overlaping 4 cell boxes they just box the two on top and they show the static hazard it makes, so confusing lol

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the 16-cell K-map, it is possible to box 4 cells in a single group. The reason for this is because there are two cells that share the same logic values, so you can combine them into a single group. For the 3-variable K-map, it is possible to box 3 cells in a single group. This is because there are three cells that share the same logic values, so you can combine them into a single group.In the example you gave, the two cells on the top are already grouped together, so they do not need to be boxed separately. The bottom left cell is being boxed together with the column because it has the same logic value as the other cells in that column.

What is a Karnaugh map (K-map)?

A Karnaugh map, also known as a K-map, is a graphical method used to simplify Boolean algebra expressions. It is a visual representation of a truth table that allows for easier identification and grouping of logical terms.

How do you read a K-map?

A K-map is read from left to right and top to bottom. The values in the cells represent the output of the logical function for each combination of input variables. The cells are grouped in a way that helps to identify patterns and simplify the expression.

What is grouping in a K-map?

Grouping in a K-map is the process of identifying and combining adjacent cells with the same logical output. This allows for the creation of larger groups, reducing the number of terms in the simplified expression.

What is meant by "adjacent" cells in a K-map?

Adjacent cells in a K-map are those that are next to each other horizontally or vertically, but not diagonally. They have the same number of variables that are different by only one input value.

How does grouping in a K-map simplify Boolean expressions?

Grouping in a K-map reduces the number of terms in a Boolean expression by combining adjacent cells with the same logical output. This results in a simpler expression that is easier to understand and implement in logical circuits.