Question about nth root of unity

Thanks!So for n=5, the 5th roots of unity are:$$1=e^{i\frac{2\pi}{5}} \text{, } e^{i\frac{4\pi}{5}} \text{, } e^{i\frac{6\pi}{5}} \text{, } e^{i\frac{8\pi}{5}} \text{, } e^{i\frac{10\pi}{5}}=e^{i2\pi}=1$$This is really neat!
mesa
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine the nth roots of unity by aid of the Argand diagram...

Homework Equations

Is the nth root of unity where we have a complex number to the 'nth' power equal to 1? For example,

$$(2+i)^n=1$$

The Attempt at a Solution

None yet, still trying to translate the question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mesa said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Is the nth root of unity where we have a complex number to the 'nth' power equal to 1? For example,

$$(2+i)^n=1$$

It's more like:

Solve zn = 1 for z , where z is complex.

Likes 1 person
Yes. For example, [itex]-\frac{1}{2} + i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/itex] is one of the 3rd roots of unity because [itex]\left(-\frac{1}{2} + i\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\right)^3 = 1[/itex].

Likes 1 person
mesa said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

$$(2+i)^n=1$$

In math in English, 'unity' is a quaint way of saying 'one'.

Likes 1 person
mesa said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

$$(2+i)^n=1$$
The only integer n for which this is true is n = 0.

2 + i is a complex number whose magnitude is √5. Multiplying it by itself is effectively rotating it by a certain amount, and increasing the magnitude. In polar form, this is easier to see.
2 + i = √5e, where θ = tan-1(1/2).
(2 + i)n = [√5e]n = (√5)neinθ
mesa said:

Likes 1 person
Okay, this makes much more sense now, so we are looking for x and y values that will have a magnitude (modulus z, or r) of 1 and we can use a generating function for complex numbers like so:

$$\left( \frac{1}{k} \right)+i\left( \frac{\sqrt{k^2-1}}{k} \right)$$

or this,

$$\left( \frac{\sqrt{k^2-1}}{k} \right)+i\left( \frac{1}{k} \right)$$

I worked really hard with Latex on those big parentheses only to decide I prefer them without :)

This looks really nice - I like the big parens - but I don't see how this is answers your original question. An nth root of unity is a complex number z, such that zn = 1. If you write z = 1e, then you have zn = 1neniθ.

My comment followed your question about whether (2 + i)n could equal 1.

How is k related to n ?

the parenthesis are wrong... [itex]z^{n}≠|z|^{n}[/itex]
in other words, writing [itex]z^{2}[/itex] you mean [itex]zz[/itex] not [itex]zz^{*}[/itex]

So if you take the 2nd root for example (n=2) of the formula you provided:
[itex](\frac{1}{k}+i \frac{\sqrt{k^{2}-1}}{k})(\frac{1}{k}+i \frac{\sqrt{k^{2}-1}}{k})≠1[/itex]...

If you want to use the form for [itex]z=x+iy[/itex]
then
[itex](x+iy)^{n}=1[/itex]
can be terrible...but not impossible to show...
Using the Binomial theorem:
[itex](x+iy)= \sum_{k=0}^{n} (n k) x^{k} (iy)^{n-k}[/itex]
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-expand-a-binomial-that-contains-complex-num.html
and proceed accordingly...(probably you'll have to end up with sins and cos, as a taylor expansions?)

Of course that's totally tedious... it's faster to follow the already proposed idea of writing [itex]z=r e^{i\theta} (r=1)[/itex]
from the last you can also deduce that [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=r^{2}=1[/itex]
or better put that [itex](x,y)[/itex] belong on the unitary "circle" (in fact it's a circle for n going to infinity, otherwise it's a "circle" created by n-points). So here again you see the sin,cos solutions (which must be on the complex plane)...

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
This looks really nice - I like the big parens - but I don't see how this is answers your original question. An nth root of unity is a complex number z, such that zn = 1. If you write z = 1e, then you have zn = 1neniθ.

My comment followed your question about whether (2 + i)n could equal 1.

Thanks! Maybe they aren't so bad then :)

So I got this from your suggestions,

$$1=\cos \left( \frac{2Pik}{n} \right) + i\sin \left( \frac{2Pik}{n} \right)$$

What a remarkable answer, and so versatile! I used algebra to write another solution but so far have only been able to get one answer for the cubic.

SammyS said:
How is k related to n ?

It's not really, went off on a tangent :P

ChrisVer said:
the parenthesis are wrong... [itex]z^{n}≠|z|^{n}[/itex]
in other words, writing [itex]z^{2}[/itex] you mean [itex]zz[/itex] not [itex]zz^{*}[/itex]

So if you take the 2nd root for example (n=2) of the formula you provided:
[itex](\frac{1}{k}+i \frac{\sqrt{k^{2}-1}}{k})(\frac{1}{k}+i \frac{\sqrt{k^{2}-1}}{k})≠1[/itex]...

If you want to use the form for [itex]z=x+iy[/itex]
then
[itex](x+iy)^{n}=1[/itex]
can be terrible...but not impossible to show...
Using the Binomial theorem:
[itex](x+iy)= \sum_{k=0}^{n} (n k) x^{k} (iy)^{n-k}[/itex]
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-expand-a-binomial-that-contains-complex-num.html
and proceed accordingly...(probably you'll have to end up with sins and cos, as a taylor expansions?)

Of course that's totally tedious... it's faster to follow the already proposed idea of writing [itex]z=r e^{i\theta} (r=1)[/itex]
from the last you can also deduce that [itex]x^{2}+y^{2}=r^{2}=1[/itex]
or better put that [itex](x,y)[/itex] belong on the unitary "circle" (in fact it's a circle for n going to infinity, otherwise it's a "circle" created by n-points). So here again you see the sin,cos solutions (which must be on the complex plane)...

Yup, I messed up and was headed the wrong direction but have it now. I love binomial theorem, I wish they went over it in our engineering program, at least we have breaks for playing with such delightful things.

1. What is the nth root of unity?

The nth root of unity is a complex number that, when raised to the power of n, results in 1. In other words, it is a number that satisfies the equation x^n = 1.

2. How many nth roots of unity are there?

There are exactly n distinct nth roots of unity, which can be represented as 1, ω, ω^2, ω^3, ..., ω^(n-1), where ω is a primitive nth root of unity.

3. What is the difference between a primitive nth root of unity and a non-primitive one?

A primitive nth root of unity is an nth root of unity that cannot be expressed as a power of any other nth root of unity. In other words, it is the smallest complex number that satisfies x^n = 1. Non-primitive nth roots of unity are all other nth roots of unity that are not primitive.

4. How can the nth roots of unity be represented on the complex plane?

The nth roots of unity can be represented as equally spaced points on the unit circle in the complex plane. The first nth root of unity (1) is located at the point (1,0), the second (ω) at (cos(2π/n), sin(2π/n)), and so on.

5. What are some applications of the nth roots of unity?

The nth roots of unity have many applications in various fields, including number theory, graph theory, and signal processing. They are also used in solving polynomial equations and in complex analysis. Additionally, they have connections to the roots of unity filter in digital signal processing and the discrete Fourier transform.