Question about relation between powers and distance

• Thread starter arthurav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary, the conversation is about a formula involving x, y, and z, where α+β+γ=0. The speaker believes there is a distance relationship between x, y, and z that will satisfy the equation if they are varied while keeping a certain measure of distance constant. They are seeking ideas on how to prove or disprove this belief, and a suggestion is made to take logs of both sides.
arthurav
I have this formula:

(x+α)(x+α)*(y+β)(y+β)*(z+γ)(z+γ)=xx*yy*zz

where α+β+γ=0

I think there might be a distance relationship between x, y and z that would satisfy the equation: if x,y and z are varied with keeping a certain measure of distance constant, the equation will be verified. This is a presupposition of mine I would like to prove or disprove, but I don't know where to start.

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
arthurav said:
I have this formula:

(x+α)(x+α)*(y+β)(y+β)*(z+γ)(z+γ)=xx*yy*zz

where α+β+γ=0

I think there might be a distance relationship between x, y and z that would satisfy the equation: if x,y and z are varied with keeping a certain measure of distance constant, the equation will be verified. This is a presupposition of mine I would like to prove or disprove, but I don't know where to start.

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you.

Hey arthurav and welcome to the forums.

One suggestion I have is to take logs of both sides and then take it from there. You should get things in terms of xlog(x) + ylog(y) + zlog(z) = (x+a)log(x+a) + (y+b)log(y+b) + (z+c)log(z+c).

Also, in addition this might help: http://www.arts.cornell.edu/econ/arazin/loglinearization.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Question about relation between powers and distance

1. What is the relation between powers and distance?

The relation between powers and distance is known as the inverse square law, which states that the intensity of a power decreases as the square of the distance from the source increases. In simple terms, this means that as distance increases, the power decreases exponentially.

2. How does this relation affect everyday life?

This relation affects everyday life in various ways, such as the brightness of a light source decreasing as you move further away, or the strength of a sound decreasing as you move away from its source. It is also an important factor in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves and light.

3. Why is the inverse square law important in scientific research?

The inverse square law is important in scientific research because it helps us understand the behavior of various phenomena, such as gravity, light, and sound. It also allows us to make predictions and calculations about the intensity of these phenomena at different distances from their source.

4. Can the inverse square law be applied to other areas besides physics?

Yes, the inverse square law can be applied to other areas besides physics. It can also be used in fields such as finance, where the principle of compounding interest follows a similar pattern, with the value increasing as the square of time.

5. Are there any exceptions to the inverse square law?

While the inverse square law is a fundamental principle in physics, there are some cases where it may not apply. For example, at very short distances, other forces may come into play and affect the relationship between power and distance. Additionally, in certain situations, such as sound waves in a confined space, the inverse square law may not hold true.