Question about simple kinetics and stoichiometry

In summary, the reaction rate for the first equation (A+A→I) is k·[A]² while the second equation (A→½I) has a rate of 2·k·[A]².
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi, I'm having trouble with this simple reaction (1):

$$A + A → I$$

with ##R = kC^2_A##

I'm assuming it takes place in a Batch reactor so the mass balance should yield:

$$\frac {dC_A} {dt} = -2R = -2kC^2_A$$

But, as I recall (I should be wrong though), stoichiometry in thermodynamics and kinetics is just "math": it does not have any "physical" meaning (unlike in chemistry), but it only serves to assure mass is conserved during the reaction.

So I can re-write reaction (1) like:

$$ A → \frac 1 2 I$$

But now:

$$\frac {dC_A} {dt} = -R = -kC^2_A$$

What am I missing ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your k will depend on how you write the reaction.

Likes dRic2
dRic2 said:
What am I missing ?

The rate equation is given for a specific chemical equation. That means A+A→I and A → ½ I have different rate equations.

Likes dRic2
That makes a lot of sense! Thank you very much :)

Or to put it differently, the kinetics of a reaction cannot be read off from the overall reaction equation. Even reactions of the from A->B seldomly follow an unimolecular reaction kinetics. You will have to find the elementary steps and the kinetic can be calculated from these elementary steps. In unimolecular reactions,
the steps may be: A+M -> A* +M, where M is a collision partner, and A*->B. The total kinetics will depend on which of the two steps is faster.

DrDu said:
You will have to find the elementary steps and the kinetic can be calculated from these elementary steps.

That's another topic. If I understand the OP correctly than he already knows the kinetics of the reaction A + A → I and wonders what that means for the same reaction written as A → ½ I. In that case the kinetics R1 = k·[A]² for the first chemical equation just turns into R2 = 2·k·[A]² for the second one.

Likes dRic2
Yes, that was what I was asking about. Sorry for may late reply and thanks a lot again!

It’s dA/dt = k(A)^2

And the integrated form or solution is 1/A = 1A0 + 2kt

1. What is simple kinetics?

Simple kinetics is the study of the rates at which chemical reactions occur. It involves analyzing how the concentrations of reactants and products change over time, and determining the factors that affect the speed of a reaction.

2. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the study of the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves using the balanced chemical equation to calculate the amount of reactants needed and products formed in a reaction.

3. How are kinetics and stoichiometry related?

Kinetics and stoichiometry are closely related as they both involve analyzing and calculating the amounts of reactants and products in a chemical reaction. Kinetics focuses on the rate at which the reaction occurs, while stoichiometry focuses on the amounts of substances involved in the reaction.

4. What are the units of rate in simple kinetics?

The units of rate in simple kinetics depend on the specific reaction being studied. However, common units include moles per liter per second (mol/L/s) or molarity per second (M/s).

5. What are some factors that can affect the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration of reactants, surface area, and catalysts. In general, increasing the temperature and concentration of reactants, and decreasing the size of the particles involved can increase the rate of a reaction. The presence of a catalyst can also speed up the reaction by providing an alternate pathway with lower activation energy.