Question about the del operator under a translation

In summary, the conversation was about interpreting a sentence in a section on Classical Mechanics regarding the del operator in an isolated system of two particles. The author states that the del operator does not need to be changed when the system is translated, similar to how it works in E&M with a potential function and electric field. The calculations mentioned by the speaker were confirmed to be correct.
DRose87

Homework Statement

This isn't really a problem. I am just re-reading some section "Classical Mechanics" by John Taylor. I think this belongs in the math section, since my question is mainly about the del operator.

There is just one fragment of one sentence that I want to make sure I am interpreting correctly. For a little bit of background context...we are dealing with an isolated system of two particles. The forces are translationally invariant, depending only on the relative position of the two particles, and conservative.

image.png

Next the author says that if we translate the system so that particle 2 is no longer located at the origin,
image.jpg

The next sentence, lifted directly from the book, is what I want to make sure that I understand
upload_2016-7-2_14-49-37.png

2) Attempt at a solution

Is this what the author means when he says that the del operator does not need to be changed when we translate the system.
last.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A similar thing appears quite often in E&M (electricity and magnetism) where a charge ## Q ## located at ## x' ## has a potential function given by ## V(x)=Q/|x-x'| ##. The electric field is given by ## E(x)=- \nabla V(x) ## and the gradient only operates on the unprimed coordinate and treats the primed coordinate as a constant. In your mechanics problem, it can be looked at as a translation, but it really is that the location of the center of the potential is a constant and you are just shifting the constant... editing... And yes, I think your calculations are correct, but the simpler way is to just look at it as I just mentioned.

Last edited:
Likes DRose87

Related to Question about the del operator under a translation

What is the del operator?

The del operator, also known as the gradient operator, is a mathematical operator used in vector calculus to represent the spatial derivative of a vector field. It is represented by the symbol ∇.

What does the del operator under a translation represent?

Under a translation, the del operator represents the change in a vector field due to the displacement of its coordinates. This allows us to understand how a vector field changes as we move it in space.

How do you calculate the del operator under a translation?

To calculate the del operator under a translation, you first need to calculate the partial derivatives of the vector field with respect to each coordinate axis. Then, these derivatives are added together using the chain rule to account for the translation. The resulting vector is the del operator under the translation.

What is the importance of understanding the del operator under a translation?

Understanding the del operator under a translation is crucial in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It allows us to analyze how a vector field changes in different positions and directions, providing valuable insights in these fields.

Are there any other applications of the del operator besides translations?

Yes, the del operator has many applications in vector calculus, such as finding directional derivatives, calculating divergence and curl of vector fields, and solving differential equations. It is a fundamental tool in many mathematical and scientific fields.